LFC Super Member

Postby sixbuster » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:37 pm

Pepe who?
Forever a red
sixbuster

Postby Thommo's perm » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:43 pm

Thommo's perm

Postby Eagle » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:47 pm

Unlike other positions there is no hiding place for keepers. Great save from the penalty but looked nervous. Reina wasn't great in his first season. We have to be patient with Simon.
Eagle

Postby ethanr » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:00 pm

Of course he's gonna be a bit nervous. This save should give him loads of confidence tho, and hopefully he can carry on from there. Could be a great acquisition for us.

With that, f*cking Begovic. He may well be the best keeper in the league, and I honestly thought the main reason we didn't go after him was because he was off to united. Hate to say I'd rather have Begovic after Mignolet's heroics today, but damn.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby Benny The Noon » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:00 pm

ethanr » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:00 pm wrote:Of course he's gonna be a bit nervous. This save should give him loads of confidence tho, and hopefully he can carry on from there. Could be a great acquisition for us.

With that, f*cking Begovic. He may well be the best keeper in the league, and I honestly thought the main reason we didn't go after him was because he was off to united. Hate to say I'd rather have Begovic after Mignolet's heroics today, but damn.

Begovic is quality - think you're right that he is the best gk in the league. Surprised he is still there - thought he would leave after they bought Butland.

As for Mignolet - thankfully he saved the pen because until then he was very ropey , awful on crosses , one miss gave them a great chance and his decision making was poor , got caught out with the ball at his feet. He made a very smart save and then the pen save so he is a very good shot stopper but needs to really work on coming for crosses and his distribution with the ball at his feet.
Benny The Noon

Postby The Good Yank » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:48 pm

It's hard to imagine calling a keeper's outing against Stoke "Baptism by Fire"  but it turned out to be.  This match has shown what we knew of Mignolet, Great shot stopper, needs to be more robust in coming out for crosses. 

He looked nervey as fook in the first half with the ball at his feet for sure.  I might tend to think that with a bit more of a physical/ aerially dominant CB he wouldn't look so soft on crosses. 

I was very happy for him today and the double save in a home opening match has got to do his confidence wonders.
s@int - 13 December 2009

I won't celebrate Rafa going........ but I will be over the moon if Dalglish comes in. League within 2 years if he gets the job, AND YOU CAN QUOTE ME ON THAT.
The Good Yank
LFC Super Member

Postby Kenny Kan » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:02 am

Eagle » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:47 pm wrote:Unlike other positions there is no hiding place for keepers. Great save from the penalty but looked nervous. Reina wasn't great in his first season. We have to be patient with Simon.

Agreed. You could almost feel the nerves of Mignolet in that opening half especially. He made a fantastic save in that half too, but the penalty save will have laid to rest many of those nerves, once he settles down and I believe he will, we'll have a b.loody good keeper on our hands.

Made up for him with that save.  :buttrock
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby killerp » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:44 am

Its very simple, if Reina was in goals I really do believe we would have drawn maybe even lost that game. Sure Minolet is not great on the ball but if he keeps them out, I don't really care, he has changed our fortunes around for the better.
killerp

Postby red till i die!! » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:06 am

bit nervous at the start but settled in to have a good debut and more than made up for the 1 or 2 errors with that fantastic penalty save.
keep it up lad :buttrock
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Raoul » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:40 pm

One change I'd like to see from him is a bit more zip in his passing - his distribution is pretty ordinary, something Reina did very well.

He is still young for a keeper, he'll come right.
"Life is not just about money. There are other things, important things that have a different kind of value. Anyone from Liverpool could tell you that."

- Jamie Carragher
Raoul
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Hustler 2 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:59 pm

Nice save
Get down and Boogie !!!!
Hustler 2
LFC Advanced Member

Postby alxy » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:07 am

It's his first major game for a major club. And in front of home fans too. Of course he has a right to be nervous. We talk about how good Begovic was, but I'd bet he would be in the same situation had it been him we bought. Anyway, players need one key milestone and I'm hoping this is the one. Hopefully Mignolet would feel more settled in now and go on to shine.
alxy

Postby Octsky » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:43 am

A legend is born..
i am confident that if reina is between the sticks we were not be able to get full 3 points.
i briefly remembered that reina came from vallereal with a good reputation for saving penalties. (saved 8 in a season with them)
his first penalty for us is against chelsea's lamp (if i remember correctly) and he didnt save it, for his rest
of his career with us he didnt save a lot of penalties.
Octsky
LFC Super Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:07 am

Yet saved penalties to help us win the FA Cup and to get through to the CL final. Mignolet made a good double save but looked decidedly dodgy all game. He deserves praise for that double save but don't see the need to keep trying to muddy Pepe's name and what he did for us just to boost up Mignolet.
Benny The Noon

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion