SIMON MIGNOLET- Official thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Kenny Kan » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:00 am

Octsky » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:43 am wrote:A legend is born..
i am confident that if reina is between the sticks we were not be able to get full 3 points.
i briefly remembered that reina came from vallereal with a good reputation for saving penalties. (saved 8 in a season with them)
his first penalty for us is against chelsea's lamp (if i remember correctly) and he didnt save it, for his rest
of his career with us he didnt save a lot of penalties.

I agree, had that been Reina we would have dropped the points. But it's a bit unfair on keepers to scrutinize them when they don't save penalties. I look at it like a bonus when they do and it was Mignolet who wrapped up the 3pts for us. I think he'll make us a good few extra points in the league this year, Mignolet may make a clanger too but I think he'll generally save us more points than Reina. Reina did let in some absolute howlers.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby jacdaniel » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:18 am

Reina saved 3 pens in the 2006 FA Cup final that helped us win the cup.
Saved 2 in the 2007 CL final that helped us through to the final. 
Saved 3 in the 2012 Carling Cup final that helped us win the cup. 

Delighted for Mignolet that he saved the pen the other day but its a little disrespectful to suggest Reina wouldn't have saved it.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby Kenny Kan » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:26 am

jacdaniel » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:18 am wrote:Reina saved 3 pens in the 2006 FA Cup final that helped us win the cup.

Delighted for Mignolet that he saved the pen the other day but its a little disrespectful to suggest Reina wouldn't have saved it.

Hardly disrespectful suggesting Reina wouldn't have save the penalty.

If Reina had saved many of the penalties against him in the prem (saved 4 from 24 in the prem), it would have been fair to presume he would have saved it. But he didn't save that many, so it's fair to say he wouldn't have saved it - like I said it's hardly disrespectful.
Last edited by Kenny Kan on Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:30 am

jacdaniel » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:18 am wrote:Reina saved 3 pens in the 2006 FA Cup final that helped us win the cup.

Is correct

If Mignolet does well then he will justify his signing by his own performances 

There is no need to keep trying to dismiss Pepe to try and justify the signing of Mignolet.

Pepe saved plenty penalties in his time and he also didnt save plenty penalties - there is no way anyone knows what would have happened if Pepe had played.
Benny The Noon

Postby Kenny Kan » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:35 am

Benny The Noon » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:30 am wrote:
jacdaniel » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:18 am wrote:Reina saved 3 pens in the 2006 FA Cup final that helped us win the cup.

Is correct

If Mignolet does well then he will justify his signing by his own performances 

There is no need to keep trying to dismiss Pepe to try and justify the signing of Mignolet.

Pepe saved plenty penalties in his time and he also didnt save plenty penalties - there is no way anyone knows what would have happened if Pepe had played.

Is wrong.

You said Pepe leaving and the signing of Mignolet weakened our first eleven.

So, its okay for you to compare Pepe favourably towards Mignolet but not the other way round - double standards (again).

Mignolet made a penalty save, it's a talking point - it's okay for people to say they didn't think Reina would have saved it, hardly dismissing him, after all in the prem he only saved 4 from 24.
Last edited by Kenny Kan on Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby jacdaniel » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:39 am

Of the 20 pens that Reina didn't save... were they all goals?  Or did some go wide, over, hit the bar etc... ? 

Assuming perhaps 3 to 4 may have gone wide, thats potentially 8 pens missed against us out of 24.  which would be closer to 1 in 3 missed.
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby Kenny Kan » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:45 am

I don't know.

But let's presume for a moment your 1:3 ratio is right. How is it disrespectful to suggest Reina wouldn't have saved it if he had a 1:3 chance of saving it?

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby jacdaniel » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:58 am

Kenny Kan » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:45 am wrote:I don't know.

But let's presume for a moment your 1:3 ratio is right. How is it disrespectful to suggest Reina wouldn't have saved it if he had a 1:3 chance of saving it?

:D   This could go on all day.

At the end of the day though, Mignolet did really well to save the pen and help us win the game.  We've no way of known for sure what would have happened if Reina was in goal.
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby Kenny Kan » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:11 am

jacdaniel » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:58 am wrote:
Kenny Kan » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:45 am wrote:I don't know.

:D   This could go on all day.

At the end of the day though, Mignolet did really well to save the pen and help us win the game.  We've no way of known for sure what would have happened if Reina was in goal.

:D

Why not just answer the question, how is it disrespectful to say that Reina wouldn't have saved the penalty with a 1:3 chance of saving it? I don't see that as disrespectful, more like sound mathematical reasoning.

I've read many think Kolo will score more goals than Carragher did - is this disrespectful too?

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby jacdaniel » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:33 am

Ok, so apparently Mignolet has saved 23,81 % of penalties he faced in his career.
Reina has saved 24,19 % of penalties he has faced.

Them stats are very close. 

So It just doesn't make sense to me to suggest that Reina wouldn't have saved it. 
It would be the same as me suggesting that if we concede a pen next week, Mignolet probably won't save it.
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby Kenny Kan » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:43 am

jacdaniel » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:33 am wrote:Ok, so apparently Mignolet has saved 23,81 % of penalties he faced in his career.
Reina has saved 24,19 % of penalties he has faced.

Them stats are very close. 

So It just doesn't make sense to me to suggest that Reina wouldn't have saved it. 
It would be the same as me suggesting that if we concede a pen next week, Mignolet probably won't save it.

Reina's career rate for penalties is 62 pens, 15 saved. That's 1:4, so why doesn't it make sense to say Reina probably wouldn't have saved a pen when the odds are against him?

Then, how is twisted to say it's disrespectful>

And if you did say you doubt Mignolet to save a penalty next week I wouldn't be crying to you saying it's disrespectful. Because the likelihood of a penalty taker scoring is higher than the likelihood of a save.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby devaney » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:58 pm

I Mignolet thought he did well. Bit nervy in the first half. Then he made one fantastic save followed by the penalty save. Early days but he did ok.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby bunglemark2 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:25 pm

devaney » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:58 pm wrote:I Mignolet thought he did well. Bit nervy in the first half. Then he made one fantastic save followed by the penalty save. Early days but he did ok.

What's your first sentence all about ?  :blush:
Mignolet thought he did well ? Or are YOU Mignolet ? You can't brag about yer own performance here mate.....  :laugh:
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby red till i die!! » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:30 pm

bunglemark2 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:25 pm wrote:
devaney » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:58 pm wrote:I Mignolet thought he did well. Bit nervy in the first half. Then he made one fantastic save followed by the penalty save. Early days but he did ok.

What's your first sentence all about ?  :blush:
Mignolet thought he did well ? Or are YOU Mignolet ? You can't brag about yer own performance here mate.....  :laugh:

:laugh:
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby The Good Yank » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:38 pm

Why does every thread turn into some sort of plsslng contest.  Mignolet had a shakey start but turned out a hero ...IN HIS FIRST COMPETITIVE GAME for us.  Who gives a shlt what Pepe would have or wouldn't have done.  Pepe plays for Napoli right now and likely Barca next year.

Mignolet is our keeper now.  I know which one I want to see do well.
s@int - 13 December 2009

I won't celebrate Rafa going........ but I will be over the moon if Dalglish comes in. League within 2 years if he gets the job, AND YOU CAN QUOTE ME ON THAT.
The Good Yank
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion