SIMON MIGNOLET- Official thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby devaney » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:27 am

damjan193 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:21 pm wrote:
parchpea » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:12 pm wrote:I would hazard a guess that if Reina had been in goal we would have accrued 2 points rather than 6 so far.

Wouldn't have saved the peno or got to Bentekes strikes today, especially the second shot on the half volley.

Big difference with this lad in goal, talk about strikers all day but goalies make a massive difference.

Well I don't know about the penalty but I'm sure he wouldn't have even moved for Benteke's second strike. That's what he did last season at least.

Looks like an improvement on out-of-form Reina but he has a long way to go to reach the level that Reina was once on. He's definitely on the right track though.

Sh.it, surely we haven't bought a player that looks like he has the potential to improve the team. That's a downright fkg disgrace. I'm going to email my disgust to John Henry immediately.............  :laugh:
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby Ben Patrick » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:30 am

Reina wouldnt have saved bentekes half volley yesterday. It was similar to his goal last season but the opposite side. Reina palmed that in. Also the walters shot in the first half last season would have been a certain goal. Mignolet for me has already gained us 4 points.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby devaney » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:59 pm

Ben Patrick » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:30 am wrote:Reina wouldnt have saved bentekes half volley yesterday. It was similar to his goal last season but the opposite side. Reina palmed that in. Also the walters shot in the first half last season would have been a certain goal. Mignolet for me has already gained us 4 points.

Hard to say really isn't it mate. Pepe did some great work for the team. Simon the flyman has certainly done some great work so far. Early days but looks very promising and he is still improving.
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby Ben Patrick » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:45 pm

I loved reina mate but he hardly made a save for about 18 months. If a shot hit the target almost always it was a goal. He wouldnt have even dived for the walters effort I don't think. Mignolet looks shaky with balls into the box but top draw with shot stopping
Ben Patrick

Postby Benny The Noon » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:51 pm

Ben Patrick » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:45 pm wrote:I loved reina mate but he hardly made a save for about 18 months. If a shot hit the target almost always it was a goal. He wouldnt have even dived for the walters effort I don't think. Mignolet looks shaky with balls into the box but top draw with shot stopping

I don't think that's very fair Ben - he may have dropped his form a bit but nowhere near what is stated. Two seasons ago only 2 keepers let in less goals than him. And last season he made a couple of errors but the guys in front of him had a very poor start. But to say he hardly made a save for 18 months - sorry but that's not right at all.

Mignolet has started well and made two crucial saves - that's all that matters
Last edited by Benny The Noon on Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Benny The Noon

Postby devaney » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:01 pm

Benny The Noon » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:51 pm wrote:
Ben Patrick » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:45 pm wrote:I loved reina mate but he hardly made a save for about 18 months. If a shot hit the target almost always it was a goal. He wouldnt have even dived for the walters effort I don't think. Mignolet looks shaky with balls into the box but top draw with shot stopping

I don't think that's very fair Ben - he may have dropped his form a bit but nowhere near what is stated. Two seasons ago only 2 keepers let in more goals than him. And last season he made a couple of errors but the guys in front of him had a very poor start. But to say he hardly made a save for 18 months - sorry but that's not right at all.

Mignolet has started well and made two crucial saves - that's all that matters

Good post. Totally agree.
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:52 pm

Simon try and beat me Mignolet .

:buttrock
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ben Patrick » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:33 pm

I stand by what I said. He hardly saved a shot on target. If you disagree benny tell me the saves he made that saved points like mignolet already has.
Ben Patrick

Postby Benny The Noon » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:37 pm

Hardly saved a shot on target ?! Sorry Ben but how dud we did conceed so few over the years if he hardly saved a shot on target ?!

Pepe has earned the club many points and trophies over the years he played at the club two trophies to be precise and one in the last 2 seasons. And with Pepe it's not just about shot stopping - it's the sweeping up , the quick release balls , the raking passes from the back , as well as saving goals Pepe even set up goals

Why is there a need to suddenly dismiss Pepe and everything he did for the club after two games from Mignolet ?!
Benny The Noon

Postby Kenny Kan » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:53 am

Benny The Noon » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:37 pm wrote:Hardly saved a shot on target ?! Sorry Ben but how dud we did conceed so few over the years if he hardly saved a shot on target ?!

Pepe has earned the club many points and trophies over the years he played at the club two trophies to be precise and one in the last 2 seasons. And with Pepe it's not just about shot stopping - it's the sweeping up , the quick release balls , the raking passes from the back , as well as saving goals Pepe even set up goals

Why is there a need to suddenly dismiss Pepe and everything he did for the club after two games from Mignolet ?!

You think Sahko is better than Toure, and you have no problem dismissing Kolo - you showed more disrespect to Kolo by labeling him "Joe Cole MK II" than anyone has done to Pepe in this thread. They haven't called him names they just don't believe he'd have been able to pull off the saves Mig has, and like Ben and the others I agree FWIW.

Some think Mignolet is an improvement (and I do definitely on shot stopping) on Reina, yet you get in a tizzy about it. But your happy to say Sahko is an improvement on Toure - which is fair enough BTW but you don't like people saying Mig's an improvement on Reina.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby Ben Patrick » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:40 am

Benny tell me the games over the last 18 months you remember him saving us points in. He cost us the fa cup final. The drogba goal went right through him. Van persies vollley that beat him at near post for arsenal. Both of bentekes at anfield last season and bentekes at villa park. I think mignolet saves most if not all of them.
Ben Patrick

Postby jacdaniel » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:25 am

Don't really like the negativity towards Pepe but Mignolet has been an absolute beast in both games.
Lets hope he keeps it up long into the future!
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby devaney » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:21 pm

Ben Patrick » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:40 am wrote:Benny tell me the games over the last 18 months you remember him saving us points in. He cost us the fa cup final. The drogba goal went right through him. Van persies vollley that beat him at near post for arsenal. Both of bentekes at anfield last season and bentekes at villa park. I think mignolet saves most if not all of them.

I think these are the the reasons we brought in SM and let Rafa have his old mate on loan. Lets not castigate Pepe however just to prove what is a bit of a pointless argument. Impossible to say what Pepe would saved and what he wouldn't. He was a great servant for LFC. Can't we just leave it at that Ben.
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby Greavesie » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:33 pm

I think over the last 2 seasons its been painstakingly obvious that the keepers position needed refreshed, whether he proves to be better than Pepe is another thing but a change was almost certainly needed. Up here all the Sunderland fans reckon we've got him for an absolute steal and he's easily the best keeper in the league, that's their thoughts anyway and I hope they prove true
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:37 pm

Ben Patrick » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:40 am wrote:Benny tell me the games over the last 18 months you remember him saving us points in. He cost us the fa cup final. The drogba goal went right through him. Van persies vollley that beat him at near post for arsenal. Both of bentekes at anfield last season and bentekes at villa park. I think mignolet saves most if not all of them.

Cost us the FA Cup Final ? Really ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPdyRXAlFa4

Anything else you want to blame Pepe

He won us the Carling Cup - the last trophy we won, and guess who won us the trophy before that.

Sorry but Mignolet will earn his own plaudits without the need to put the boot into Pepe after his wonderful 7 years service with us.

Here is a collection of his saves from last season - plus his mistakes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lMoqAxpogI

Season before - plus his mistakes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vrSlIjG2jw
Benny The Noon

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion