SIMON MIGNOLET- Official thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Greavesie » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:11 pm

Pig Catcher » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:48 pm wrote:
woof woof ! » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:18 pm wrote:I asked you to enlighten me. I and several others have already praised Mignolet for his shot stopping ability, maybe you don't bother to read previous posts ?

In any case, shot stopping aside in what other areas of his game do you think Mignolet is better than Pepe ?

His motivation to keep himself in shape and do everything he can to play to the best of his ability? At the end of the day Pepe may well be the better keeper but he looked jaded with us and I'm not convinced he did everything he could to keep his weight down.

Pepe was prone to having a rush of blood to the head at times as well (I still shudder when I think about City last year). I think Ming is more composed than Pepe. I think Ming has a solid future with us and he's not a big concern for me
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby woof woof ! » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:44 pm

devaney » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:42 pm wrote:
woof woof ! » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:18 pm wrote:I asked you to enlighten me. I and several others have already praised Mignolet for his shot stopping ability, maybe you don't bother to read previous posts ?

In any case, shot stopping aside in what other areas of his game do you think Mignolet is better than Pepe ?

Saving penalties - oh I think I said that. Did I say stopping shots.  :laugh: Stop being a pedant.

???

If asking someone too just stop flapping their gums and actually explain what they've said is being pedantic then I guess I'm guilty as charged. That still doesn't explain your inability to back up your point unless of course there was f'uck all point to begin with   :kungfu:

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Benny The Noon » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:53 pm

Greavesie » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:11 pm wrote:
Pig Catcher » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:48 pm wrote:

His motivation to keep himself in shape and do everything he can to play to the best of his ability? At the end of the day Pepe may well be the better keeper but he looked jaded with us and I'm not convinced he did everything he could to keep his weight down.

Pepe was prone to having a rush of blood to the head at times as well (I still shudder when I think about City last year). I think Ming is more composed than Pepe. I think Ming has a solid future with us and he's not a big concern for me

Didn't look composed when flapping at crosses yesterday though ? Anything but.
Benny The Noon

Postby bunglemark2 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:14 pm

Not convinced at all that he's better than Pepe. Really think BR screwed this one up.
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby Fowler_E7 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:25 pm

If we really had to replace Pepe then i wish we had got Begovic from Stoke, hes an excellent keeper. As noted by others Mignolets coming for crosses and distribution leave a lot to be desired.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby parchpea » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:48 pm

I would imagine that Mignolets arrival here was purely financial seeing he is probably earning half of Reinas salary freeing up funds
for other players. Good enough and young enough with room to improve, and cheaper.

My guess is Begovic was too expensive or is already lined up for another team after this seasons over.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby JC_81 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:05 pm

What a bunch of drama queens.

Mignolet is clearly a good keeper, a better shot stopper than Reina, better value for money and with time to improve.

Reina had gone stale and lets not forget his ability to come for crosses wasn't his strength either.

Mignolet has been worth extra points to us this season v Stoke and Sunderland. Newcastle game is the only one he's been poor.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ben Patrick » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:35 pm

What are you all on about ? Mignolet is better than reina for me without doubt. Reina for the last 2 seasons hardly saved anything. Rodgers has upgraded for me.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:51 pm

at a big club changing the keeper is a big decision because it can easily go wrong but the transition between reina and mingolet has been about as good as anyone could have hoped for.
people looking for faults there are nitpicking.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Ben Patrick » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:18 pm

We have a better keeper yakka. Its as simple as that. In the last two seasons Reina hardly saved anything.
Ben Patrick

Postby Fowler_E7 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:22 pm

Ben Patrick » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:18 pm wrote:We have a better keeper yakka. Its as simple as that. In the last two seasons Reina hardly saved anything.

The biggest loss for me has been Reinas superb distribution from throws and kicks, Mignolet isnt even close to Reina in this department. Shot stopping hes probably an improvement, but in everything else hes a downgrade.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ben Patrick » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:27 pm

Distribution I will give you but where else ? Plus for me shot stopping for a keeper is no1 priority.
Ben Patrick

Postby Kenny Kan » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:02 am

Ben Patrick » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:27 pm wrote:Distribution I will give you but where else ? Plus for me shot stopping for a keeper is no1 priority.

Agreed. And agree with Yakka's post.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu the Red » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:46 pm

JC_81 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:05 pm wrote:What a bunch of drama queens.

Mignolet is clearly a good keeper, a better shot stopper than Reina, better value for money and with time to improve.

Reina had gone stale and lets not forget his ability to come for crosses wasn't his strength either.

Mignolet has been worth extra points to us this season v Stoke and Sunderland. Newcastle game is the only one he's been poor.

Is he a better shot stopper though really?

I didn't see much evidence of that when Cabaye hit one from 156 yards the other week.

I'm not convinced, I think the lads a "for the camera's" type goalkeeper. Half of the shots Mignolet has come up with some wonder dive for are the sort of shots Reina would simply... stand still... and catch.

Reina was a far superior keeper from his distribution, handling, command of his area, speed off his line, claiming of crosses, positioning, reading of the game and actually playing with his feet and general kicking.

The only think Mignolet has on Reina are reflexes and agility and its not as if Pepe was poor in these areas.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby damjan193 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:23 pm

The main thing for me so far is that Mign has saved us from losing at least 6 points (some would say that he has costed us 2 (Newcastle) but I think that's harsh). The double save against Stoke and the save against Benteke is something that I'm sure Reina (with the form that he was in) wouldn't have caught. He would have done just what you say Stu, stand still, like he did numerous times for the past 2 or more seasons and cost us goals.

I think that people are forgetting in how Sh*t form Reina was actually. And for a long period as well. We just couldn't afford that anymore.

I actually don't think that Mignolet is an improvement on an on form Reina. It was always going to be hard to replace one of our best goalies ever. But Reina time had come. Him being in a bad form for a long time, like he almost didn't care, and a few other reasons contributed to his departure. I think that most people don't realize that it just had to happen. It was going to be a hard job replacing such a great keeper but I think that we did great. Mignolet has done a fantastic job so far and he deserves some praise.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion