SIMON MIGNOLET- Official thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Benny The Noon » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:57 pm

Ter Stegen hasn't officially signed for Barce so Pepe still could go there but if he doesn't I would expect him to stay at Napoli with Rafa. He won't play again for us.

Stu don't slate other people's opinion unless yours are perfectly flawless and we have seen that they aren't a number of times with the amount of holes and inconsistencies that have been found by multiple posters.

Mignolet is a decent keeper - he has done a decent job for us so far but has had some scarey moments. He was the same at Sunderland. He isn't in the top level in the Prem - if he improves certain areas , ability under the high ball , his distribution from the hand and feet and his sweeping then he could get up to the levels of Lloris , Cech etc.
Benny The Noon

Postby Stu the Red » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:43 pm

Benny The Noon » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:57 pm wrote:Ter Stegen hasn't officially signed for Barce so Pepe still could go there but if he doesn't I would expect him to stay at Napoli with Rafa. He won't play again for us.

Stu don't slate other people's opinion unless yours are perfectly flawless and we have seen that they aren't a number of times with the amount of holes and inconsistencies that have been found by multiple posters.

Mignolet is a decent keeper - he has done a decent job for us so far but has had some scarey moments. He was the same at Sunderland. He isn't in the top level in the Prem - if he improves certain areas , ability under the high ball , his distribution from the hand and feet and his sweeping then he could get up to the levels of Lloris , Cech etc.

If my auntie had balls she'll be my uncle.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:52 pm

GK improve with expirence and age - Mignolet certainly can improve on the areas that need improvement
Benny The Noon

Postby Stu the Red » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:11 pm

Benny The Noon » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:52 pm wrote:GK improve with expirence and age - Mignolet certainly can improve on the areas that need improvement

Yeah, of course they can. I often see decent players become world beaters. Infact, what we should do is go and buy a load of Sh*t players and coach them to become world class.

We should teach them to run, trap a ball, play the right pass, picture situations in their head.

In Mignolets case, he's only in his mid twenties, so theres still loads of time for him to learn about his positioning, handling, footwork, speed of his line, command of his area and learning how to dominate his box.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

For someone who claims to be good friends with Joe Fagan's family and goes every sunday to their sons house for dinner, works with Wolverhampton Wanderers coaches and runs the RAF football team you know absolutely f*ck all about the game lad.

I strongly suggest you go and learn a little bit about it, off people who know and understand it, then try playing the game for a few years, then come back to us all.

:laugh:
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:26 pm

:laugh:

Is that really the best you can reply with ?

Why do I need to go "play the game for a couple years" to be able to form an opinion ? You played "apparently" and most of the time don't know your ***** from your elbow about football.

It's quite simple Stu - players can improve aspects of their game through training. That's basic knowledge that even you should be able to comprehend. Players improve with expirience and coaching.

GK's peak later in their career compared to other players so Mignolet isn't anywhere near his peak or highest level and can easily improve through the years with the right coaching and as he gains expirence. And I expect that to happen.
Benny The Noon

Postby JC_81 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:04 pm

Stu, give the whole 'players don't improve' bollox a rest mate eh?

What about Cantona? Drogba? DiCanio? Bale? Van Persie? Ronaldo?

The first 3 were nomads until their mid-late 20's when they started to bloom.  Bale showed unbelievable improvement over a few years.  Van Persie was hit and miss at Arsenal for years with the likes of Adebayor getting games ahead of him and even Cristiano Ronaldo, an absolute superstar, looked like he had no end product and poor decision making in his early years.

If it's so blatantly obvious to you or anyone who 'knows football' that players 'have it' or 'don't have it' then why do so many people in the professional game struggle with this?

The answer is that it's really fu.cking difficult and players improve at different rates and at different ages.

Mignolet, as a keeper, has plenty of improvement left in him.

Your argument will predictably be that these player's attributes such as touch, eye for a pass, ability to pass or finish etc didn't improve, but perhaps their physical attributes, team's style of play etc did, to allow their attributes to flourish.  I will say bollox to that.  Bale couldn't dribble like he can now when he was 20, Ronaldo couldn't time runs like he can now when he was 20, Van Persie couldn't consistently finish like he can now when he was 20 and Drogba couldn't control a ball with his back to goal at the age of 20 as well as he could when he was 30.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:11 am

I have to say, it is becoming more and more puzzling the decision to let Pepe Reina go. Mignolet IMO is a tremendous shot stopper and he is capable of outstanding saves, highlight reel stuff. But he is really terrible on the ball and not particularly dominant when it comes to crosses and corners. Alot of times the opponent would pressure him knowing his weakness. If mignolet is a long term solution it's fine... but keep Reina so that there can be a competition for the place. Mignolet doesn't fill me with much confidence especially when we keep passing it back to him.

We haven't kept a clean sheet since the first 3 games...overall he hasn't been an improvement on Reina.

I'd much rather we had gone for Begovic... a 6'6" keeper (even though he doesn't look 6'6") with tremendous agility and leadership, with no apparent weaknesses... reminds me of Schmeichel...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Santa » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:56 am

maguskwt » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:11 am wrote:I'd much rather we had gone for Begovic... a 6'6" keeper (even though he doesn't look 6'6") with tremendous agility and leadership, with no apparent weaknesses... reminds me of Schmeichel...

Yes I was hoping for Begovic when we were weighting up a GK but thought Mignolet was a close second choice. IMO Begovic would command his area a lot better and potentially a legend of our's in the making but when we went for Mignolet, me think BR was looking for something else that we didn't see but well...still an improvement over Pepe from the previous 2 seasons
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:15 am

maguskwt » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:11 am wrote:I have to say, it is becoming more and more puzzling the decision to let Pepe Reina go. Mignolet IMO is a tremendous shot stopper and he is capable of outstanding saves, highlight reel stuff. But he is really terrible on the ball and not particularly dominant when it comes to crosses and corners. Alot of times the opponent would pressure him knowing his weakness. If mignolet is a long term solution it's fine... but keep Reina so that there can be a competition for the place. Mignolet doesn't fill me with much confidence especially when we keep passing it back to him.

We haven't kept a clean sheet since the first 3 games...overall he hasn't been an improvement on Reina.

I'd much rather we had gone for Begovic... a 6'6" keeper (even though he doesn't look 6'6") with tremendous agility and leadership, with no apparent weaknesses... reminds me of Schmeichel...

I agree mgwst, he made me nervous early in the game yesterday, he did two weird kicks that put us in trouble and caught flapping in crosses as usual, but again some good reflexes. He is a good GK but not an improvement from reina
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:52 pm

Begovic would have been the better choice - quality keeper but possibly would have been a bit more expensive
Benny The Noon

Postby metalhead » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:45 pm

He was pretty good yesterday, was quick off his line in several occasions and that save he did against Lukaku was top draw. His distribution was decent I thought, but had a very good game.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby babu » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:57 pm

metalhead » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:45 am wrote:He was pretty good yesterday, was quick off his line in several occasions and that save he did against Lukaku was top draw. His distribution was decent I thought, but had a very good game.

Yup, thought he did a great job.

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:23 pm

Done well yesterday which was good to see. Thought he made a couple of good saves but there was one where he came out and spread himself in the second half and made himself big that was world class.

He is alot better in one on ones than I first thought.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:35 pm

agreed, he was amazing in at least 3 occasions yesterday. without him i dread to say, it but we would have lost.
absolutely top class goalkeeping
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu the Red » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:49 am

red till i die!! » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:35 pm wrote:agreed, he was amazing in at least 3 occasions yesterday. without him i dread to say, it but we would have lost.
absolutely top class goalkeeping

I think if i'm being critical (and I am nit picking a little but I believe in fine margins being the difference) I would say for the first chance he wasn't as quick off his line as he could have been. He did make a good save, i'll have that all day but I still felt he was slightly slow to react. For the Delafauo chance it was a good stop again but one most good goal keepers would make.

There was one monster save though where he came off his line and made himself huge like Schmeicheal used to do. That was extremely impressive.

I'm still not convinced by him, but I definately believe I seen one or two things yesterday which I haven't previously and have calmed my worries down a bit over him. :)
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion