RICKIE LAMBERT - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby woof woof ! » Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:49 pm

Just watched the game v Milan.

Thought his penalty was poor, nowhere near either post and a comfortable height for the goalie. I don't however hold that against him, anyone can miss a pen.

I'm more concerned about his overall performance. Looked a bit slow in thought and movement, don't want to knock the fella , he may perform a lot better in the hurly burly of the premiership meantime I'll just have to accept him for what he is, i.e. a back up striker.

What's obvious is that we're still short of a top of the shop striker.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby red till i die!! » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:39 pm

he was way off the pace again last night and that penalty was poor. he ends up dropping far too deep and can't make the ground back up again. in fairness to him though i did see him pointing on several occasions last night for the ball to be played into space but falling on deaf ears. he wont work in that system so play should be adapted to involve him more if he is brought on.
he'd be 3rd choice striker for me and we need to have someone else other than borini to play alongside sturridge or can hold the line just as good in his absence.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:11 pm

Once the season starts Ricky will get goals for us, pity the Remy deal fell through though.
For £8m he would have been a great option off the bench and with Sturridge out we do look a bit light upfront.
Mind you it's hard to tell ATM because we haven't really seen what the likes of Markovic and Lallana can do when playing alongside Sterling, Coutinho, Henderson and co. We may get enough goals from midfield.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:01 pm

woof woof ! » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:49 pm wrote:Just watched the game v Milan.

Thought his penalty was poor, nowhere near either post and a comfortable height for the goalie. I don't however hold that against him, anyone can miss a pen.

I'm more concerned about his overall performance. Looked a bit slow in thought and movement, don't want to knock the fella , he may perform a lot better in the hurly burly of the premiership meantime I'll just have to accept him for what he is, i.e. a back up striker.

What's obvious is that we're still short of a top of the shop striker.

I was disappointed with the penalty as he was supposed to be a good PK taker and it was a poor one. I think more than a backup striker he is a " plan B" striker that comes on when we play the likes of Crystal Palace and we cannot break them down or a team with smaller defenders. We still need a backup striker for Sturridge especially as he does tend to get injured. Lambert will help us, but not as a replacement for Sturridge IMO .
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:35 pm

With Sturridge returning home injured and Borini already back in the UK nursing an injured shoulder Ricky will more than likely have to lead the line against United tomorrow and Dortmund next weekend.
Add to all that double training sessions in between games and its quite a work load for one player, hope he doesn't get injured too.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby eds » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:08 am

It's f**ing despicable that we seriously have 2 strikers in the squad (I'm not counting Borini as he should be sold ASAP) and one is already injured.

We need a quality striker and we needed them yesterday, ffs Rodgers sort this nonsense out now.......  :veryangry
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:16 pm

eds » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:08 am wrote:It's f**ing despicable that we seriously have 2 strikers in the squad (I'm not counting Borini as he should be sold ASAP) and one is already injured.

We need a quality striker and we needed them yesterday, ffs Rodgers sort this nonsense out now.......  :veryangry

Share your concern Ed's but with still almost a month to go I'm sure someone will be signed, BR has already said as much.

Liverpool Echo online

With Daniel Sturridge having flown home for treatment to a hamstring injury, Lambert is the Reds’ only senior frontman for the final. Rodgers admits that illustrates the pressing need to bring in more firepower ahead of the Premier League campaign getting underway.

“Yes. Getting another striker in is crucial for us,” he said.

I just hope it's not another stocking filler.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby kazza » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:27 pm

woof woof ! » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:16 pm wrote:
eds » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:08 am wrote:It's f**ing despicable that we seriously have 2 strikers in the squad (I'm not counting Borini as he should be sold ASAP) and one is already injured.

Share your concern Ed's but with still almost a month to go I'm sure someone will be signed, BR has already said as much.

Liverpool Echo online

With Daniel Sturridge having flown home for treatment to a hamstring injury, Lambert is the Reds’ only senior frontman for the final. Rodgers admits that illustrates the pressing need to bring in more firepower ahead of the Premier League campaign getting underway.

Shame about Remy as he would have been a good backup
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedSi35 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:35 pm

We still have Boroni.......................
RedSi35
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:36 pm

Come on Lambo let the Manc defence know they're in a game, and smash in a beauty later ,to silence the critics.

:buttrock YNWA
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby eds » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:12 am

woof woof ! » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:16 pm wrote:

Liverpool Echo online

In my eyes it's unacceptable Woof.

When most of the lemmings on this forum were popping the corks and clinking their champagne glasses at seeing Suarez leave I was asking where our replacement striker was going to come from.

Before we sold Suarez we should have had a proper plan to bring a quality forward in and our half arsed pursuit of Alexis Sanchez and the latest shenanigans with Remy comes nowhere near excusing this.

We now have 10 days until the season starts and this crucial, crucial role looks like its going to be left to the last minute.......again!

If we had learnt anything from the Carroll, Dempsey and Konoplyanka debacles it's that you can not wait until the last minute of the last day to get your targets through the doors.

I will be utterly dismayed if we start this season with a front line consisting of Rickie Lambert and Fabio Borini while we rush an injured Sturridge back into the side.  :no
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

eds

Postby JC_81 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:20 am

Eds I have to agree with you on needing a striker but think you're being a bit harsh on Rodgers and the club.

I think we must have genuinely thought we could get Sanchez, there is no doubt he was our number one forward target, but it didn't happen.

With Remy we were unlucky to have been done on the medical - how often does that happen?

I agree with those saying Lambert is a plan B striker, ie off the bench to change games, not a backup striker ie someone you'd be wanting to start a lot of games if Sturridge was injured.

There doesn't seem to be a lack of quality strikers around this summer though.  Even discounting the top names like Falcao/Cavani who you'd pay a premium for, I think someone like Jackson Martinez who isn't top bracket but moving to a better club/league at 27 in his prime could see him hit another level, would be an option.  Lacazette is another one who sounds like he has good pedigree, but have to admit I've never watched him play 90 minutes.

The Bony rumours have started again.  I've said before I think he's good and might be a good fit for us, but the price doesn't sound great value.

I'm actually starting to worry Rodgers might go down the loan route to fill a slot this season, or at least until January when I can see him going for Jay Rodriguez once he's fit.  And I'm not saying I'd be too enamoured if we went for Rodriguez either.

Still almost a month left this window though so we're not quite last minute... yet!
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby eds » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:41 am

I guess the main point I am making JC is that we should not have sold Suarez until we had a replacement lined up.

It feels that Barcelona dictated the who, when and where of the sale when it should have been us telling them what to do.

As far as we are concerned we couldn't care less if either Barcelona or Suarez had a hissy fit, the right thing would have been making them both wait until we got an adequate replacement.

eds

Postby Ben Patrick » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:22 am

eds » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:41 am wrote:I guess the main point I am making JC is that we should not have sold Suarez until we had a replacement lined up.

It feels that Barcelona dictated the who, when and where of the sale when it should have been us telling them what to do.

As far as we are concerned we couldn't care less if either Barcelona or Suarez had a hissy fit, the right thing would have been making them both wait until we got an adequate replacement.

To be fair Eds it made no difference when we sold him really given the fact that he was suspended for 4 months anyway.
Infact it means we havent had to pay him wages for fck all.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby eds » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:30 am

Ben Patrick » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:22 am wrote:
eds » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:41 am wrote:I guess the main point I am making JC is that we should not have sold Suarez until we had a replacement lined up.

To be fair Eds it made no difference when we sold him really given the fact that he was suspended for 4 months anyway.
Infact it means we havent had to pay him wages for fck all.

Of course it makes a difference Ben, Suarez was out until mid-October and having him back then compared to having NO striker or an overpriced one replacing him is a position I would rather much be in.

Selling him when we didn't have a replacement in check will mean that any forward we go sniffing around for now will have their price automatically jacked up.

Take Bony for example $20-30m  :laugh:  :laugh:  Get the f**k out of here Swansea........

eds

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion