Reserve and academy news - All posts here

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Santa » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:04 pm

OK if they have been lured and wanna jump ship, then I understand...not sure about the actual reason tho until it's confirmed by the club
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:45 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:15 am wrote:
Santa » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:56 am wrote:Highly acclaimed Academy Technical Director Rodolfo Borrell and Academy Director Frank McPharland sacked...??? wtf??? Can only say I'm shocked by the direction of this club is taking with regards to bringing young talent to the first team :(

that seems to be a bit drastic, especially a third of the way into the season.
something must have gone on there.

edit - just read over on rawk that they might have been talking to man city about a possible move there, dont know how true that is like.

Aparently so. Thats what I've heard as well.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby jacdaniel » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:02 pm

I wouldn't know enough about their roles to say whether its a bad thing or a good thing.
I do know that the last person to come through our academy and become a regular in the first 11 and stay there is still Gerrard. 

Not one player since has made the grade.  Not saying its their fault or any reflection on them though.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu the Red » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:21 pm

jacdaniel » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:02 pm wrote:I wouldn't know enough about their roles to say whether its a bad thing or a good thing.
I do know that the last person to come through our academy and become a regular in the first 11 and stay there is still Gerrard. 

Not one player since has made the grade.  Not saying its their fault or any reflection on them though.

McPharlands very good and knows his stuff. The other ones a clown brought in the arrogant, pig headed b*st*rd who was in charge a few years ago.

To be honest, Its not so much the coaching of the youth level thats the problem, its the scouting and methods used to bring the kids in.

They use the scattergun approach and it doesn't work. That much is obvious.  We've always produced our own and had some real belters along the way but the only one to make any sort of decent impact since Gerrard is Kelly... and you wouldn't say he's a world beater.

There are so many kids around Liverpool these days who are slipping through the net. I've played with some players over the years who've never even played in the lower league who are far better than some of these lads playing in the premiership.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby jacdaniel » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:45 pm

Stu the Red » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:21 pm wrote:
jacdaniel » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:02 pm wrote:I wouldn't know enough about their roles to say whether its a bad thing or a good thing.

McPharlands very good and knows his stuff. The other ones a clown brought in the arrogant, pig headed b*st*rd who was in charge a few years ago.

To be honest, Its not so much the coaching of the youth level thats the problem, its the scouting and methods used to bring the kids in.

They use the scattergun approach and it doesn't work. That much is obvious.  We've always produced our own and had some real belters along the way but the only one to make any sort of decent impact since Gerrard is Kelly... and you wouldn't say he's a world beater.

There are so many kids around Liverpool these days who are slipping through the net. I've played with some players over the years who've never even played in the lower league who are far better than some of these lads playing in the premiership.

Whose responsible for the scouting / methods used to bring in the youths? 
For the senior team, obviously we have various scouts, the committee, Ayre, FSG and Rodgers that make decisions on who to sign, what budget we have and what kind of prices they deem acceptable to spend on certain targets. 

No clue how it works at youth level though.  For example, who actually decides that 14 year old joe bloggs gets to come play for Liverpool.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu the Red » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:58 pm

jacdaniel » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:45 pm wrote:
Stu the Red » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:21 pm wrote:

Whose responsible for the scouting / methods used to bring in the youths? 
For the senior team, obviously we have various scouts, the committee, Ayre, FSG and Rodgers that make decisions on who to sign, what budget we have and what kind of prices they deem acceptable to spend on certain targets. 

No clue how it works at youth level though.  For example, who actually decides that 14 year old joe bloggs gets to come play for Liverpool.

Its a collection of people. The manager of the first team has a say too but mainly Borrell.

The problem is the scattergun approach. It seems to me like they're trying to build the "best youth team possible" rather than concentrating in an area. Liverpool has always produced good players. But they're being over looked.

If you look at some of the names of players from Liverpool/Wirral over the last 20 years...

McManaman
Fowler
Carragher
Gerrard
Thompson
Taylor
Barton
Nugent
Trundle
McEveley
Lambert
Osman
Barkley
Baines

The players are out there but kids develop at different rates, there is no telling how good a 13 year old lad will be when he's 18. Some develop early at around 16, most, its usually 17/18 before you start to see anything resembling the end product.

What we would be better doing is trying to find the next "Gerrard or Fowler" from within our own city instead of bringing in kids from all over. If we end up with a ***** youth team, who cares as long as every so often is churning out a whopper? The best players as kids, don't always turn out to be the best players as Adults. Think one or two people have lost sight of that somewhere down the line.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:35 pm

Wow that's a pathetic list. Only Fowler, McManaman, Gerrard, Carragher and Baines could ever play for a top 4 club. The rest are just average or below average.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Stu the Red » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:39 pm

maypaxvobiscum » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:35 pm wrote:Wow that's a pathetic list. Only Fowler, McManaman, Gerrard, Carragher and Baines could ever play for a top 4 club. The rest are just average or below average.

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Clueless!

I reckon you should stick to watching football in your own country lad because its obvious you know f*ck all about football in this country!  :laugh:  :laugh:
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby parchpea » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:52 pm

We seem to have a history of problems at the academy so this is just another episode.

I can imagine FSG not being able fully grasp why none of our young players seem to be coming through and making an impact, and
with Morgan recently despatched and talk of loans, with Wisdom out already, they might be wondering why we have an expensive
development programme at all. Questions are asked, relationships can quickly turn sour.

Another possibility is these two guys where looking at other jobs that's the speculation so they moved them out on principle.

Time will tell but some rumors Dalglish may be getting involved at academy level.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby JC_81 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:42 pm

Stu the Red » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:39 pm wrote:
maypaxvobiscum » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:35 pm wrote:Wow that's a pathetic list. Only Fowler, McManaman, Gerrard, Carragher and Baines could ever play for a top 4 club. The rest are just average or below average.

Clueless!

I reckon you should stick to watching football in your own country lad because its obvious you know f*ck all about football in this country!  :laugh:  :laugh:

Answer his question.  Which other players on your list are good enough to play regularly for a top 4 premiership club?

You forgot Rooney by the way.  I'll give you that one.  Barkley has potential.  Rodwell actually does play for a top 4 club but for me the jury's out on him.

The area does produce a lot of footballers though.  A 2011 article in the Times showed that Liverpool produced more top flight footballers than any other provincial city in England since the start of the Premiership...http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... eague.html

Quantity doesn't always mean quality though and I think it's daft not to look further afield for talented youngsters.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:23 pm

Clueless!

I know enough to know that it's overrated and the list of players you have provided makes you look like the complete idiot you are.
Nugent? Really? Coming from someone who thinks Sakho isn't worth it. You're really very stupid!

As JC_81 said, quantity doesn't mean quality.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby metalhead » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:59 am

What is the ''scattergun'' approach stu?

Thanks
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:56 am

maypaxvobiscum » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:23 pm wrote:

Clueless!

I know enough to know that it's overrated and the list of players you have provided makes you look like the complete idiot you are.
Nugent? Really? Coming from someone who thinks Sakho isn't worth it. You're really very stupid!

As JC_81 said, quantity doesn't mean quality.

Really??  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Am not being funny with you lad, but seriously, stick to your own country. As I said earlier, you clearly don't have a clue about english football.

I swear to god, some of the "opinions" the likes come out with at times are nothing short of embarrassing!!!

:no
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby Stu the Red » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:57 am

metalhead » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:59 am wrote:What is the ''scattergun'' approach stu?

Thanks

You're on the wind up?
If not wil explain when sober and can see :D
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby Santa » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:29 am

Stu the Red » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:56 am wrote:
Really??  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Am not being funny with you lad, but seriously, stick to your own country. As I said earlier, you clearly don't have a clue about english football.

I swear to god, some of the "opinions" the likes come out with at times are nothing short of embarrassing!!!

:no

Stop being an @$$ Stu...your opinion don't mean THE opinion so please be civil and respectful over here  :suspect:
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion