Rafa's thoughts on reserve team football

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ste123lfc » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:31 pm

Kopite275 wrote:I agree with Rafa!  Anyway, guys, I have a little request...

Bit of a strange question this, but could you tell me the regular number that the following players wore during their times as Liverpool players…

Gary Ablett
John Aldridge
John Barnes
Ian Callaghan
Jimmy Case
Gary Gillespie
Alan Hansen
Steve Heighway
Ray Houghton
Joey Jones
Alan Kennedy
Ray Kennedy
Chris Lawler
Mark Lawrenson
Sammy Lee
Terry McDermott
Steve McMahon
Jan Molby
Phil Neal
Steve Nicol
Jamie Redknapp
Steve McManaman
Tommy Smith
Graeme Souness
John Toshack
Ron Yeats
Ian St John
Emlyn Hughes
Alan A’Court
Billy Liddell
Jack Balmer
Roger Hunt
Gordon Hodgson
Ronnie Whelan

Need the number that each player wore most often for a university project!  Many thanks!!  Much appreciated!!  Up the Reds!

Try this link it may help

squad numbers
From Shankly to Brendan we follow our team, Rome to Istanbul we've all lived the dream. Our journey is long, our goal stays the same, to keep for our children the famous red name.
ste123lfc
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:52 pm

I was thinking today that i'd rather he just concentrate on the first team. Not because he doesn't have a right to be interested in all aspects of the club, or that I don't trust him - just because it's a non-starter.

The English system is pretty unique and I wouldn't like to see clubs removed from the league just to help the top clubs nurture their players.

Something has to be done, but there needs to be a better compromise because what Rafa is suggesting is neither fair nor feesible IMO.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Big Niall » Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:48 pm

loan the players out to lower league teams.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:51 pm

The biggest problem seems to be that the top of the Prem is so far above the reserves in terms of ability. Its not suprising seeing there are four tiers in the Prem with the bottom tier being equivalent to the Championship. There always used to be two with a promoted side capable of winning the title the following year, now the best they can hope for is a top half of the table finish.

One anti big club answer is to tell all the big clubs they can only have 20 players plus academy youngsters - reserves aint a problem then......more players for everybody else - better standard more competition - big clubs have to play big transfer fees to little clubs, they cant hang onto the best youngsters and not play them etc etc.

The inevitable conclusion of teh big club drive to world domination is the European/Galactic super league - all the G14 clubs plus anybody else who stumps up the cash create a mid-week european league - basically just a rich ba$tards club - their 2nd team plays in the prem or whatever top domestic league is appropriate, their first team play in europe - aah that already happened ... forget that one terrible idea.....

Third idea (there weren't that many ad breaks)..you incentivise the reserve league and make it competitive so thats its worthwhile putting squad players in there giving the youngsters a better standard to work with. How?
Well what makes the big clubs listen? More money - you take some of the Prem TV money and you allocate it to reserve football and the clubs get a proportion based on their reserves performances - not enough so that a club would play their first team all the time but enough to make it interesting. The senior reserve league is made into 44 teams, north and south based on all the Prem and Championship clubs.You could have play offs at the end of season, certainly north and south could play in a knock-out final - you could trial technology etc etc.You could also ensure yellow and red cards at first team level don't count for reserves and vice versa (particularly serious offences you could count against both I guess).
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby redmikey » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:05 pm

Big Niall wrote:loan the players out to lower league teams.

the only problem i can see with that is that the youth wouldn't be getting the full benefit of our coaching team and you are put young players into teams with journeymen players who might not welcome them

in a team of lfc youth they would look after each other and battle against lower league teams of men every week, which would toughen them up no end

i love welcome a lower league team as it makes watchin the sunday goals worth watchin

i do feel that lfc would have to agree to put the gate receipts or the like back into the league they are in to support the other teams so that they will agree to the scheme

in the long run it can only benefit the first teams as young players would more better prepared to challenge for places

guthrie
peltier
osambour
mellor
foy
and many more are struggling or gone because of the gap to the first team, something has to be done to bring the standard up for young British talent or we will end up full to the rafters with johnny foreigner

:nod
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:47 pm

Speaking of the reserves, we've got a bloody strong reserve team out tonight.

1. Jerzy Dudek
2. Alvaro Arbeloa
3. Emiliano Insua
4. Jack Hobbs (capt)
5. Gabriel Paletta
6. Javier Mascherano
7. Jermaine Pennant
8. Boudewijn Zenden
9. Robbie Fowler
10. Craig Lindfield
11. Fabio Aurelio

Substitutes:

12. Stephen Darby
13. Daniele Padelli
14. Robbie Threlfall
15. Paul Anderson
16. Ronald Huth
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby stmichael » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:03 pm

Ressies 3-0 up at half time. Lindfield, Fowler and Pennant.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby dawson99 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:09 pm

Nice to see hobbs given captaincy. would have been too easy to just give it to fowler...nice one, good management on all levels with our boys
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby E.Jack You Late » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:11 pm

How come Gonzo is not playing, I thought he had stop playing for Chile?
E.Jack You Late

Postby Marianne » Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:24 pm

Big Niall wrote:I think it is "big club arrogance" to think the lower leagues are for the reserves of the big clubs. I'm fed up with people from mainland Europe coming to England and saying what the english league should be like.

Its fast and furious, loads of matches, no winter break, and the most entertaining league in the world.

I agree with this comment actually-it would be like having two separate clubs rather than one! Would be good to give players more games, but think should just stick to loans!
Oh Gerro we love you
Marianne

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:39 pm

I think Rafa should continue using the loan system, I cant see Englad implenting that sort of system, too much pride among the nationwide teams.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby EddieC » Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:03 pm

Can I ask, why are there so few reserve games each season? Do we only play each team once? Or doesn't every club have a reserve team?

Anyway, I don't think we could play reserve teams in the lower leagues. It may work in Europe, but they don't have the same lower league setup as we have here. Realistically we're gonna have to stick to loaning players out, but I'd like to see us try & send the players out in pairs to build solid partnerships. For example, when loaning out Peltier, send him out with Anderson, possibly with a contract clause that they have to play as a pair. Experience is always useful, but you need to know the players you're playing with too. Key partnerships where there needs to be telepathy between the two players, i.e full back & winger, central midfield or a strike partnership. Not sure how practical it would be to get a club to take two players, but it would definately benefit the lads if they could.
Last edited by EddieC on Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EddieC
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby wrighty (not mark!) » Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:37 pm

EddieC wrote:Can I ask, why are there so few reserve games each season? Do we only play each team once? Or doesn't every club have a reserve team?

Anyway, I don't think we could play reserve teams in the lower leagues. It may work in Europe, but they don't have the same lower league setup as we have here. Realistically we're gonna have to stick to loaning players out, but I'd like to see us try & send the players out in pairs to build solid partnerships. For example, when loaning out Peltier, send him out with Anderson, possibly with a contract clause that they have to play as a pair. Experience is always useful, but you need to know the players you're playing with too. Key partnerships where there needs to be telepathy between the two players, i.e full back & winger, central midfield or a strike partnership. Not sure how practical it would be to get a club to take two players, but it would definately benefit the lads if they could.

Very interesting point! :;):  I'm not too sure how many clubs would go for that though. Obviously this caluse wouldn't count if one got injured while on loan?

Maybe to alleviate for the lack of reserve games, why dont we just do make them play the each time 4 times over the season eg home/away/home/away. That sould take us up to the 60 game mark which the senior teams usually play when successful.

Perhaps after this we would be left to question the quality of opposition.

Question.... What level would you put reserve football at? Championship?League one? etc etc
wrighty (not mark!)
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:53 pm

fowler's goal vs blackburn reserves

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lK3tcPBK5gY

different class
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Raoul » Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:35 am

Form a relationship with a non-premier league team.  Provide them with coaching expertise, and send half a dozen of our best youngsters there on loan.  If it was negotiated well, it wouldn't need to be a big club acting all paternalistic, it could be quite a positive thing, for them and us.

Yeah I know, I'm just another foreigner who doesn't understand the situation in England, but really, why couldn't a feeder club be made to work?  They get access to LFC technology/coaching knowledge, and some good young players at little cost.  We get what Rafa wants.

And 18 games a year?  Why?  That is just bizarre!
"Life is not just about money. There are other things, important things that have a different kind of value. Anyone from Liverpool could tell you that."

- Jamie Carragher
Raoul
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion