relegation battle and who is our next manager

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby lakes10 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:48 pm

john craig » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:31 pm wrote:I don't think you can blame some people for being on a bit of a downer.  It depends how you look at things.  If you look at the negatives then we appear to be replacing high earners with bargain buys without much of a net spend in the transfer market, suggesting either we don't have the money or we lack ambition.  On top of that our best player has spent the summer publicly embarrassing us by saying he wants out and to rub salt in the wounds is even considering a sideways step to Arsenal, which would seriously dent our top 4 chances given they are currently the most vulnerable of the CL teams.  We've lost Reina, Carra has retired, Carroll has been shipped at a huge loss, Skrtel is being linked with a daft loan move and Agger is now being linked with Barce.  On top of that we haven't really addressed two of the weaknesses most fans agreed on from last season - the lack of some athleticism in midfield and a dominant centre back.  We are also coming off the back of a 7th place finish, have an inexperienced manager and some of the teams around us have already heavily strengthened for next season.  Even more worryingly there have been absolutely no developments in terms of the stadium issue.  Feeling like slitting your wrists yet?  Don't.

There are also plenty of positives and different views you can take on the above issues.  We no longer have asset-stripping owners, but ones who are in it for the long haul.  Having written off a lot of our debt they are now balancing our wage structure, building a younger squad and cutting players who were living on reputation and no longer value for money.  We are preparing for FFP and look in a good position from that point of view, while some of our rivals who are ignoring it could stand to be docked points or banned from European competition in the near future.  We have improved our attacking options immeasurably in the last 12 months and Rodgers' scouting system appeared to be in good shape last January with Coutinho (a future world star and 30+ million asset) and Sturridge looking great buys.  This summer's buys are as yet unproven in a red shirt but all have looked good in pre-season at least, so should be afforded a chance at least before being written off.  We are playing hardball over Suarez and at best he will stay, at worst he will go for 50+ million - probably allowing us to bring in Costa and another marquee signing.  You could also say we have one of the best young managers around who had us playing great passing football second half of last season, showing good man management (Downing and Henderson), tactical flexibility and good media handling skills (Suarez v Ivanovic).  To top that we have a 100% record pre-season without conceding a goal and that's without Sturridge featuring and without Suarez starting a game.  On our post-Christmas form last year we'd have got top 4 and there's no reason to think we can't do it this year, especially if we get off to a good start this time.  Personally I can't wait for the season to start because I think we'll be pleasantly surprised.

great post mate
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:52 pm

That's the difference though isn't it John. As you so astutely point out it is not all bad. There are a few on here that could learn from that approach........
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:05 pm

john craig » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:31 pm wrote:I don't think you can blame some people for being on a bit of a downer.  It depends how you look at things.  If you look at the negatives then we appear to be replacing high earners with bargain buys without much of a net spend in the transfer market, suggesting either we don't have the money or we lack ambition.  On top of that our best player has spent the summer publicly embarrassing us by saying he wants out and to rub salt in the wounds is even considering a sideways step to Arsenal, which would seriously dent our top 4 chances given they are currently the most vulnerable of the CL teams.  We've lost Reina, Carra has retired, Carroll has been shipped at a huge loss, Skrtel is being linked with a daft loan move and Agger is now being linked with Barce.  On top of that we haven't really addressed two of the weaknesses most fans agreed on from last season - the lack of some athleticism in midfield and a dominant centre back.  We are also coming off the back of a 7th place finish, have an inexperienced manager and some of the teams around us have already heavily strengthened for next season.  Even more worryingly there have been absolutely no developments in terms of the stadium issue.  Feeling like slitting your wrists yet?  Don't.

There are also plenty of positives and different views you can take on the above issues.  We no longer have asset-stripping owners, but ones who are in it for the long haul.  Having written off a lot of our debt they are now balancing our wage structure, building a younger squad and cutting players who were living on reputation and no longer value for money.  We are preparing for FFP and look in a good position from that point of view, while some of our rivals who are ignoring it could stand to be docked points or banned from European competition in the near future.  We have improved our attacking options immeasurably in the last 12 months and Rodgers' scouting system appeared to be in good shape last January with Coutinho (a future world star and 30+ million asset) and Sturridge looking great buys.  This summer's buys are as yet unproven in a red shirt but all have looked good in pre-season at least, so should be afforded a chance at least before being written off.  We are playing hardball over Suarez and at best he will stay, at worst he will go for 50+ million - probably allowing us to bring in Costa and another marquee signing.  You could also say we have one of the best young managers around who had us playing great passing football second half of last season, showing good man management (Downing and Henderson), tactical flexibility and good media handling skills (Suarez v Ivanovic).  To top that we have a 100% record pre-season without conceding a goal and that's without Sturridge featuring and without Suarez starting a game.  On our post-Christmas form last year we'd have got top 4 and there's no reason to think we can't do it this year, especially if we get off to a good start this time.  Personally I can't wait for the season to start because I think we'll be pleasantly surprised.

I may not agree with the whole post and I'm certainly not very optimistic about the forth coming season because I think there are a lot of unknowns and "ifs" but that's a great post John and I hope I am surprised - getting sick of being disappointed.
Benny The Noon

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:27 pm

i wouldnt hold your breath waiting for these FFP rules to take effect, they were dreamed up as a panic measure when the prem was getting 3 and 4 sides into the semi`s of the CL and all the top players were flooding there, not only that it looked like the premier league itself was trying to step on uefa`s and fifa`s toes with this game 39 malarky.
but ever since the continental clubs started to do well again and oil barons started to buy russian, french and spanish clubs ffp has slipped down the priorities list.
there`s even a debate going on within uefa wether ffp actually gives the big clubs even more of an unfair advantage because it takes decades and decades to build up the type of turnover the likes of united, barcelona, madrid etc have.
some officials dont like the fact that ffp basically means man united can spend more than norwich even if norwich have the money in the bank to spend.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby RedAnt » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:31 pm

john craig » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:31 pm wrote:I don't think you can blame some people for being on a bit of a downer.  It depends how you look at things.  If you look at the negatives then we appear to be replacing high earners with bargain buys without much of a net spend in the transfer market, suggesting either we don't have the money or we lack ambition.  On top of that our best player has spent the summer publicly embarrassing us by saying he wants out and to rub salt in the wounds is even considering a sideways step to Arsenal, which would seriously dent our top 4 chances given they are currently the most vulnerable of the CL teams.  We've lost Reina, Carra has retired, Carroll has been shipped at a huge loss, Skrtel is being linked with a daft loan move and Agger is now being linked with Barce.  On top of that we haven't really addressed two of the weaknesses most fans agreed on from last season - the lack of some athleticism in midfield and a dominant centre back.  We are also coming off the back of a 7th place finish, have an inexperienced manager and some of the teams around us have already heavily strengthened for next season.  Even more worryingly there have been absolutely no developments in terms of the stadium issue.  Feeling like slitting your wrists yet?  Don't.

A perfect summary. I'm hopeful. I wasn't too chuffed when BR came in, but he's impressed me with his coaching. We're a real joy to watch at times.

The other parts of his job, such as transfers and the Suarez stuff are still ongoing and the players bought in look decent (except maybe Borini. Not sure we will see what he can do at Liverpool).

As for Suarez, at first I wanted him to stay, but I'm afraid that either by media, Wenger, Suarez himself, or some other reason, it no longer feels right and an starting to think his leaving England would be good for all concerned. Since Gerrard himself has openly stated that selling to the Ar$e would be crazy, I doubt it will be happening. The press is filled with talks of a £42.5m bid imminent from Arsenal which would I'm sure be laughed off.

Can't wait to get back to normal life! It's gonna be exciting, that's for sure
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:34 pm

FFP only counts if you are competing in Europe anyway :laugh:

But it will prove to be a big white elephant - I notice Platini has said nothing about the spending of both Monaco and PSG.
Benny The Noon

Postby Kenny Kan » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:36 pm

john craig » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:31 pm wrote:I don't think you can blame some people for being on a bit of a downer.  It depends how you look at things.  If you look at the negatives then we appear to be replacing high earners with bargain buys without much of a net spend in the transfer market, suggesting either we don't have the money or we lack ambition.  On top of that our best player has spent the summer publicly embarrassing us by saying he wants out and to rub salt in the wounds is even considering a sideways step to Arsenal, which would seriously dent our top 4 chances given they are currently the most vulnerable of the CL teams.  We've lost Reina, Carra has retired, Carroll has been shipped at a huge loss, Skrtel is being linked with a daft loan move and Agger is now being linked with Barce.  On top of that we haven't really addressed two of the weaknesses most fans agreed on from last season - the lack of some athleticism in midfield and a dominant centre back.  We are also coming off the back of a 7th place finish, have an inexperienced manager and some of the teams around us have already heavily strengthened for next season.  Even more worryingly there have been absolutely no developments in terms of the stadium issue.  Feeling like slitting your wrists yet?  Don't.

Excellent post John.

On your first sentence, I don't blame people who are on a 'bit' of a downer, not at all. I just don't appreciate manic depressives who only seek to wind people up in every other post. There's a massive difference there mate.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby Greavesie » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:44 am

If we go down I'm blaming Lakes
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Benny The Noon » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:48 am

Greavesie » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:44 am wrote:If we go down I'm blaming Lakes

:laugh:
Benny The Noon

Postby kazza » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:12 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:49 pm wrote:the way i see it it could go 2 ways.
if we lose suarez and maybe even agger i think we`ll struggle big time, to lose those 2 in the same window would crush the morale within the squad, but if we manage to keep hold of both of them and bring in a couple of first team type players like papadopolous and costa we could well surprise a few people next season and i`m not just talking about top 4.

mingolet

johnson              papadopolous        agger             enrique

lucas           gerrard

coutinho

costa        sturridge      suarez 

that side could do a lot of damage next season, especially given our fixtures.

you are still counting two players we do not have yet that will cost around 35 million. If we get those players however and keep Suarez I do not see why we cannot make a real push for CL
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:29 am

lakes10 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:12 pm wrote:
Benny The Noon » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:09 pm wrote:Lakes - can you remember how you used to post when Rafa was our manager and how negative you were when we were only getting into the top 4 !

Can you remember how you used to demand that Rafa leave so that we could get someone in who would concentrate on winning the league as opposed to doing well in the CL.

Can you remember blaming Rafa for the demise of our club because he prioritised Europe.

Bet you wish we could go back to those days eh ? Instead of scrapping around for cheap signings and battling out for 5/6th place

as you say my views on Rafa are well known but at the start of each season I still backed him. This season it seems most fans here and on RAWK have made their mind up that our manager needs to go and we need new owners and I am very shocked by that.

Couldn't disagree more. Check your glasses Lakesy.

There are a few idiots on here with big mouths trying to push a constant agenda against the manager. The majority of us support Rodgers, however we are less of the loudmouth/spammer type, so our comments get lost sometimes.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:53 am

Fantastic post John Craig, I don't blame anyone for feeling a bit down but definitely don't its razor blades and glass of hemlock just yet
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:32 pm

:D  ???  :(
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:49 pm

lakes10 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:32 pm wrote:

:D  ???  :(

I'm still blaming him for H & G...............
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Previous