Battle with chelsea

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby A.B. » Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:56 pm

Source: PremierLeague

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho has confirmed his desire to beat Liverpool to the signature of Leeds United goalkeeper Scott Carson during the transfer window.
England Under-21 international Carson is out of contract at the end of this season and, having rejected a new deal at Elland Road, he is wanted by both Chelsea and Liverpool.

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez has played upon the fact that the 19-year-old keeper might find an easier route into the first-team at Anfield as Petr Cech is in such fine form for the Barclays Premiership leaders.

However, Mourinho is still looking to strengthen his squad, even if Carson's potential arrival may push second-choice keeper Carlo Cudicini into a summer exit.

Both clubs have tried to tempt Leeds with deals, which - including appearance targets – are worth between £500,000 and £1million, although Carson must also decide on his next move.

Asked about Carson, Mourinho told Chelsea TV: "We don't need another goalkeeper. We have a great group of keepers, but the reality is that we need the best players in the country, especially English ones.

"If a very young goalkeeper is available, we can think about it for the future of the club, instead of having Lenny Pidgeley as the [only] young goalkeeper. We could have both of them and maybe send one on loan."

Carson has just three first-team appearances behind him for Leeds, all of which came last season, but he has already shown his rich potential.

Benitez, who has lost Chris Kirkland with a serious back injury, recently insisted: "Carson is our first option. I don't think he's definitely going to Chelsea.

“Chelsea have a very good keeper [Cech] in their team who is young, so Carson would have more opportunities here."

Neil Sullivan, Leeds’ current first-choice stopper, believes his understudy would be a success at Stamford Bridge.

The Scottish international moved from Chelsea to Leeds last summer and is now keeping Carson out of the side.

“Without any doubt I know he can be successful at Chelsea, or for that fact anywhere in the Premiership,” the 34-year-old told official club website www.leedsunited.com.

“He's an outstanding goalkeeper and it doesn't matter who you speak to, everyone is of the same opinion so they can't all be wrong. It says something about him that clubs like Chelsea and Liverpool are interested.

“He's a good kid and the time I've been here we've had a good laugh together. He works hard and he wants to learn everything there is to learn, and that's all you can ask really. He's got so much ability it's a joke."

“We would like him to stay as long as possible but it does look like he's on his way.

“To lose a great player at any club is disappointing but having got to know him over the last few months I know he's a good kid and if that's the way his career is taking him, then I can only wish him the best of luck.

“I've told him one or two things about what's going on down at Chelsea, but that's just out of curiosity really. He'll find out soon enough no matter what he does.

“As I know though, until everything is signed on the dotted line these things have a habit of not happening, so until it's done he's a Leeds player.”
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby bigmick » Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:59 pm

Maybe we should have a little word with Mourinho. They can have Carson on the understanding that come the end of the season, we get Cuddocini. We can suffer Dudek 'till then, just.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:03 pm

I think thats a brilliant idea.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby 109-1105722616 » Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:11 pm

bigmick wrote:Maybe we should have a little word with Mourinho. They can have Carson on the understanding that come the end of the season, we get Cuddocini. We can suffer Dudek 'till then, just.

dunno about that
109-1105722616

Postby crazyhorse » Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:14 pm

The rest of the season is to long to suffer that gobs**te - i would rather have calamity James back.
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 109-1105722616 » Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:54 pm

crazyhorse wrote:The rest of the season is to long to suffer that gobs**te - i would rather have calamity James back.

the anger of 2 defeats on the bounce has drove him to this

i hope the liverpool team of last night are happy now
109-1105722616

Postby crazyhorse » Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:57 pm

I speak of the last three or so seasons where Dudek has cost us around 6 points a season. A good goalkeeper can win you 10 points a season, look at all the recent great sides  - they all have a world class goalkeeper - even going back the the early 80s where Brian Clough broke the Bank to sign Peter Shilton - he was a class act and helped win the success they achieved.
Our previous list of great keepers stops at our last league title - nothing more needs to be said.
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 109-1105722616 » Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:59 pm

remember schimichael (sorry bout the spelling)

he was worth 15 points a season to the mancs, absolutely class
109-1105722616

Postby crazyhorse » Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:02 am

Proves my point.

How many times did he save Manure from defeat or the loss of a lead.

We need the same.

Unfortunately i do not think Cudicini is the one.
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:04 am

If Chelsea didn't have a solid back four Cech wouldn't had kept so many clean sheets. Man Utd don't have a solid keeper and neither do the Gooners. It's a problem between us,the Mancs and the Gooners.

Only Chelsea have a keeper they can depend on, for the time being that is.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Starbridge42 » Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:00 am

bigmick wrote:Maybe we should have a little word with Mourinho. They can have Carson on the understanding that come the end of the season, we get Cuddocini. We can suffer Dudek 'till then, just.

You really think that Mourinho will just 'let' us take cudicini?  Hes not stupid, he knows that the longer we go without a class keeper the worse we will become and the more he can charge us to buy him.

You think he's going to do ne thing to help us?  He'll just shove a massive contract in carsons face take him to chelsea, loan him out and then laugh at us :(.  He's got the money to do whatever he wants in this situation.  Im not opptimistic of us landing Carson unless benitez can do some serious persuading on our behalf.
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:20 am

Carson is a liverpool fan isn't he... that may help in the negotiations
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby Starbridge42 » Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:29 am

Is he?  I hadnt heard that, say wouldnt it be funny though if, seeing as how gerrard said no in the summer cos he wanted to stay at lfc, if now carson said no in the winter cos he wanted to go to lfc. :D

Of course i still expect he will end up at chelsea   :glare:
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby hawkmoon269 » Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:14 am

Starbridge42 wrote:

You really think that Mourinho will just 'let' us take cudicini?  Hes not stupid, he knows that the longer we go without a class keeper the worse we will become and the more he can charge us to buy him.

You think he's going to do ne thing to help us?  He'll just shove a massive contract in carsons face take him to chelsea, loan him out and then laugh at us :(.  He's got the money to do whatever he wants in this situation.  Im not opptimistic of us landing Carson unless benitez can do some serious persuading on our behalf.

Some people in here have claimed that we can get too caught up in the financial side of the game.  I don't think we are.  If we are to compete with the likes of Chelsea, we need to have the funds available, to match them off the pitch as well as on it.

The Carson episode is a case in point.  Chelsea have the funds available to buy up any new prospect (or old one) that comes along.  If WE want to be number one, we need the money.  That's the bottom line, our squad is not good enough.
hawkmoon269
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby wet echo » Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:37 am

Carson is signing for liverpool today
wet echo

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion