Reds land in japan.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ciggy » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:57 am

Steven Gerrard and his Liverpool team mates finally touched down in the Land of the Rising Sun at 10am local time – almost 15 hours after setting off from their Melwood training complex in West Derby, 6,000 miles away. 
Flying first from Liverpool John Lennon to London Heathrow and then on to Tokyo Narita Airport, the journey felt every bit as long as some of the players had first feared when Liverpool's participation in the tournament was confirmed earlier in the season.

Fortunately for the players and coaching staff seated in business class at the front of Virgin Flight 900, the first few hours were spent pouring over the sports pages of the Sunday newspapers laid out on every seat.

After Liverpool's seventh straight Premiership win on Saturday - a two-nil victory over Middlesbrough that saw Rafael Benitez's side move into second place and equal a club record of 10 consecutive clean sheets - the newspapers certainly made happy in-flight reading.

"Overhauling Chelsea's lead this year looks impossible, but then so did beating AC Milan at half-time in Istanbul," pondered the Mail on Sunday, as every other newspaper talked up Liverpool as genuine title contenders.

The mood in the camp was further buoyed upon touchdown when it emerged that Everton had held Manchester United to a point while the players were mid-air - ensuring Liverpool held on to second place - but today in Japan, the travelling contingent from Merseyside appeared keen to forget the Premiership and concentrate on the task in hand - winning the World Club Championship.

"We are in Japan to win the tournament, it's as simple as that," claimed club captain Steven Gerrard. "We're all a bit tired right now but we are very excited to be here and are looking forward to the games. We are going to get used to the time difference over the next few days and we will be raring to go in the first game. Any trophy that Liverpool enter or are involved in, we want to win it. We're not here for a holiday."

Gerrard is desperate to do what no other Liverpool player before him has done and lift the trophy that officially confirms what the fans have been saying for years – that Liverpool really are the best team in the world.

Phil Thompson and Phil Neal both captained the Reds in Japan's Toyota Cup during the early 80s but neither defender could inspire their respective Liverpool sides to victory in a one-off game against the South American champions.

With a new format featuring not just the current European and South American champions but also the best teams from Australia, Costa Rica, Saudi Arabia and Africa, Gerrard is hoping it can be third time lucky for Liverpool.

"All the players have a great incentive to go and win it and everyone is looking forward to it. We want to add it to the Champions League trophy we won.

"Hopefully it will be a case of third time lucky for us and we can win it. I know we've had a couple of cracks at this before and we haven't been successful but we feel as though we've got the right team and the right attitude to win it. We don't really know too much about the other teams but sometimes that can help you. We won't be going into the games worrying about the opposition and we can relax and do what we do normally.

"I am always hungry to win more trophies with Liverpool and so is the manager and all the other players. Being a footballer, the idea is to win as many trophies and as many medals as possible and this is another opportunity to win another cup and get another winners medal. We are already the Champions of Europe and we want to do Europe really proud and go and win it."

Asked during a press conference at the team hotel what impact the 12,000 mile trip would have on Liverpool's domestic campaign, Gerrard was keen to stress that when you're winning matches, no one complains about tiredness.

"There is a slight concern as we have played a lot of games but it helps if you are winning games an enjoying your football. We are playing well, keeping clean sheets and performing well at home and in Europe and as long as that continues, you won't find anyone in this team moaning about too many matches.

"The team has got a lot of strengths and we are doing very well at the moment. We are creating lots of chances, the goals are going in, we are mean in defence and we have some exciting players going forward. There is still a lot of room for improvement but I think the next few years will be really exciting for us."

Luis looks knackerd.

Last edited by Ciggy on Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby primodua » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:02 am

I have goosebumps seeing the japs wearing the red.
Luis - ("Im gonna get some geisha for my "garcia" tonite!)

eat liverpool, drink liverpool, sleep liverpool
primodua

Postby kazza » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:34 am

I have done this flight (more than once) and I must say it is a grind. The fact that they arrive to be greeted by celebrity style hero worship, will give them the energy and boost to help them settle. I feel good that we will win it this year but I am more concerned about the return leg. Right back before Christmas only to play Boxing day. It will be tough but they are professionals and they get paid enough to deal with it (I am surprised however that they did not travel First Class).

As long as they take their Melatonin and drink plenty of fluids (most important because it is the de-hydration that tires you out) they will make the transition.

Come On Reds
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby MilitiaRusher » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:01 am

Lol Cisse seems to be looking arrogantly at Rafa in the second group pic.
MilitiaRusher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:14 am

Cisse will get playing time there, I'm sure he will start the first Liverpool match because Rafa will rotate his players. He should do well, he usually does in insignificant matches or friendlies, he normally forgets his shooting boots in the games that matter!
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Theo@home » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:31 am

kazza wrote:It will be (a) tough (flight) but they are professionals and they get paid enough to deal with it (I am surprised however that they did not travel First Class).

As long as they take their Melatonin and drink plenty of fluids (most important because it is the de-hydration that tires you out) they will make the transition.

Come On Reds

Dont worry - you cant get better than Virgin's 'Upper Class' business class product.  Check it out Though I doubt that even the 'world's largest lie flat beds' at 208cm are quite as big as Crouchy's at home must be :D
Theo@home

Postby babu » Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:39 pm

"The team has got a lot of strengths and we are doing very well at the moment. We are creating lots of chances, the goals are going in, we are mean in defence and we have some exciting players going forward. There is still a lot of room for improvement but I think the next few years will be really exciting for us."

ohh yeah baby that's what i want to hear Rafa. :)  :buttrock

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:44 pm

Where do you get these pictures from CGGY? There first classs shots. Any more ?
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby MilitiaRusher » Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:50 pm

babu wrote:"The team has got a lot of strengths and we are doing very well at the moment. We are creating lots of chances, the goals are going in, we are mean in defence and we have some exciting players going forward. There is still a lot of room for improvement but I think the next few years will be really exciting for us."

ohh yeah baby that's what i want to hear Rafa. :)  :buttrock

Hmm, I think Gerrard said it.
MilitiaRusher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:53 pm

Yes i was thinking that also. LOL

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:19 pm

bavlondon wrote:Where do you get these pictures from CGGY? There first classs shots. Any more ?

Them first ones where from Getty images.
Ive found some more though LOL get on Crouch laughin they must have got a sort of Beatles reception  :D

There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:22 pm

nice

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:24 pm

cisses_gona_get_ya wrote:Image

what were they singing on karaoke? i presume it was "we are the champions".  :laugh:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby red37 » Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:26 pm

TOYOTA, Japan, Dec 12 (Reuters) - Costa Rica's Deportivo Saprissa beat 10-man Sydney FC 1-0 on Monday to set up a dream semi-final with European champions Liverpool at the FIFA Club World Championship.

A sharp finish from midfielder Christian Bolanos two minutes into the second half gave CONCACAF champions Saprissa victory in chilly Toyota, central Japan.

Sydney had defender Alvin Ceccoli harshly sent off in the 81st minute after he was adjudged to have caught Saprissa goalkeeper Jose Porras late.

Saprissa will meet Liverpool in Yokohama on Thursday while Sydney play Egypt's Al Ahly in the tournament's fifth-place playoff.

South American champions Sao Paulo take on Saudi club Al Ittihad in Wednesday's first semi-final in Tokyo.

The final of the revamped FIFA tournament takes place in Yokohama on December 18.

bring it on  :buttrock

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Liverpool 4 EVA » Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:38 pm

stmichael wrote:
cisses_gona_get_ya wrote:Image

what were they singing on karaoke? i presume it was "we are the champions".  :laugh:

LOOOOOOOOOL  :laugh:  :laugh:
Drummerphil - our thoughts are with you
Liverpool 4 EVA
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion