Reds favourates to land scottish teenage star

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby tubby » Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:20 pm

Just saw this, enjoy.

Reds chasing teenage starDec 29 2006

By Chris Bascombe, Liverpool Echo

LIVERPOOL are in battle with Manchester United to sign Scottish wonderkid James McCarthy.

The 16-year-old Hamilton Academicals midfielder spent a week on trial at Melwood last week.

Manager Rafa Benitez was so impressed with the teenager, he is now keen to conclude a deal as quickly as possible, but he's also aware of interest from a host of other top clubs preparing to swoop when the transfer window opens.

Because of his age, interested clubs may have to only pay compensation of around £100,000.

If he joined, McCarthy would be one of the youngest ever recruits into the Reds' senior ranks.

Liverpool have already opened talks with the player's club, who agreed to the trial period, but most now act swiftly to make the move permanent.

Sir Alex Ferguson is also targeting the youngster, and some reports in Scotland claim United are favourites to complete the transfer.

However, it's understood the Scot would prefer a switch to Anfield.

McCarthy has quickly emerged as one of the hottest properties north of the border. He made his first team debut for Hamilton earlier this season aged just 15, and immediately attracted the attentions of Premiership clubs.

An attacking, creative midfielder, McCarthy has also been offered trials by some of La Liga's top teams.

Deportivo La Coruna invited him to Spain, and it's believed both Barcelona and Valencia are also monitoring his progress.

Benitez has made no secret of his desire to recruit more teenage talent in the months to come, having already packed Gary Ablett's reserve side with youngsters.

Argentinian left back Emiliana Insua officially joins the club on January 1, and it's hoped McCarthy will be next in the ranks.

Meanwhile, Craig Bellamy has been given the all-clear to feature in tomorrow's clash against Spurs at White Hart Lane. The Welshman suffered an eye injury late into the Reds' 1-0 defeat to Blackburn
----------------------------------------------------

Nice to see us getting more British players. If its true about the La Liga clubs also monitering his progress then he could be a good prospect.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:39 pm

Don't know anything about the lad but LFC's history is littered with legends that came to us from north of the border . If  only potentialy he's half as good as the likes of Dalglish,Souness,Hansen, Nichol etc we could be in for a treat .

:)

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby CardinalRed » Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:43 pm

Sounds good, if he's played any pro level at 15 years old he's gotta be a prospect worth taking a chance on for 100 grand?

:cool:
CardinalRed
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:09 pm

it concerns me slightly with Rafa hoovering up all this supposed young talent..only for the next fate to befall half of them being deemed 'not quite capable yet' and going out on loan...i mean, of course they are needing to gain experience and a general feel for the place. But how in heavens name are they to do that in someone elses set-up as opposed to the club they were intended to represent at some stage of their fledgling career. Whatever the youth policy/mandate is, it certainly isnt working smoothly. For example the likes of Anderson, Hobbs, Antwi, Martin, Roque etc.. were all snapped up quick style. We got to see brief glimpses during the FA Youth cup and then very little since.. and other cases such as Barragan for example. Mooted as being yet another potential first-teamer, what happens? he ends up getting farmed out to learn his trade in La Liga - similarly as is now Paletta. Granted there may be a buyback clause inserted into the agreement but what on earth will he learn there that couldnt have been acquired within our own established proving ground. I may be looking at the whole thing in the wrong light but sooner or later these 'wannabies' are going to want to show this club what they can do, should any of them find the inclination. There used to be a phrase called 'being left in the stiffs' for a while..and at a club such as this which is blessed with state of the art training/development facilities i see little justification in passing the fundamentals on to another, perhaps less scrupulous organisation for the nurturing and 'honing' of a future Liverpool player...the same will no doubt apply to Insua/El Zhar and this latest prospect McCarthy.  Im all for allowing these to learn the liverpool way first before setting foot in the first-team, though at this rate, some of these young hopefuls we are becoming replete with (admittedly a fair pool of talent to be optimistic over) will want to catch the eye of the Gaffer and the attentions of their seniors. To my mind they are best doing that here. Anyway, if the signature of the young Scot does transpire it will be yet another fine coup by Rafa.. Lets hope some of these lads get a bit more action in justifying their hype. Before they do all bugger off down the road first.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby tubby » Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:50 pm

woof woof ! wrote:Don't know anything about the lad but LFC's history is littered with legends that came to us from north of the border . If  only potentialy he's half as good as the likes of Dalglish,Souness,Hansen, Nichol etc we could be in for a treat .

:)

We can only hope. Weve seen loads of younsters signed by Rafa since he came and none have really broken into the team but its nice to see Rafa going for young talent.

Hopefully someone can get into the 1st team for next year.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:13 pm

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion