Blatter, liverpool must play in japan.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:23 pm

Big Niall wrote:For once why not be at the forefront of something new

What are you on about ? We've played twice in this competition before .I was at the Flamengo game in 1981 , we lost 3-0, it was obvious that the lads were jet lagged and not happy.

This competition does NOTHING for Liverpool.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby hawkmoon269 » Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:24 pm

Where the Scum not allowed to drop out of the FA Cup to play in the Club Championship?  Maybe we could drop out of the league cup!
hawkmoon269
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby banana » Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:29 pm

Scottbot wrote:I'd rather send the youth team. December is just about the busiest month in the football calender. Sending our lads off to play in this tournament on the back of a one-month-early start would be dumb. We're looking at a mass fixture pile-up, jet-lag, fatigue and injuries here. Send the kids.

Don't think you can compare the world club championship to the early days of the European Cup. I cannot see it ever catching on or being seen as a prestigious tournament. Maybe if it ran every year it might gain some credibility but it is little more than joke FIFA president Sepp Blatter's brainchild (at least that's how i see it)

We simply don't have the resources to compete on six fronts (League, Champions League, League Cup, FA Cup, Super cup, World Club Championship) - Something has to give somewhere. Chelsea are the only team with the squad to deal with this type of workload.

If UEFA had given us a spot in the 3rd round of the qualies i'd be a lot more enthusiastic.

Six fronts?

The super cup is only - 1 - game
The kids will definately play most fixtures in the carling cup
The kids will play lesser teams in FA cup
The kids may play CL football if LFC get a good start and qualify for the second stage early

Of coure we will have to play a lot of competetive games. But this is football. I am not that worried. i would have been more worried if we did not have those games. After all we want to win the league and go as far as possible in all cups?

Playing games is the best form of practice. If we don't play competetive games, our players still have to get their boots on and work hard at melwood?
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:33 pm

banana wrote:The kids will play lesser teams in FA cup

what like against burnley? that gamble really paid off didn't it? ???
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Scottbot » Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:40 pm

banana wrote:Of coure we will have to play a lot of competetive games. But this is football. I am not that worried. i would have been more worried if we did not have those games. After all we want to win the league and go as far as possible in all cups?

Playing games is the best form of practice. If we don't play competetive games, our players still have to get their boots on and work hard at melwood?

So you would go all out to win the World Club Champs while the rest of the league are taking a break?

Playing games and training are worlds apart Banana. Games take far more out on you - physically and mentally
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby banana » Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:44 pm

stmichael wrote:
banana wrote:The kids will play lesser teams in FA cup

what like against burnley? that gamble really paid off didn't it? ???

i guess it didn't if you evaluate only that game. but if this was key to having a fit squad for important fixtures in Champions League it did pay off didn't it?

and........ what is the point in having kid players if they will never get the chance to put on the LFC shirt and play? The kids must be given the chance more often. This is the ONLY way to educate and make them 1st team players. If players about the age of 19 - 22 aren't capable of beating a bunch of drunken sailors they don't have a long term future at LFC.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby bigmick » Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:03 pm

woof woof ! wrote:I was at the Flamengo game in 1981 , we lost 3-0, it was obvious that the lads were jet lagged and not happy.

Jeez Woof. I must remember never to try and give you a lecture on supporter loyalty. I remember the game vaguely. We took our absolute best team and got a banjo-ing. Didn't Zico get a couple of goals? Was it played in Japan aswell?
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LiverpoolFan00 » Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:13 pm

I think just send over the kids. The competition doesn't mean much and our priority next year has to be a good league position. We don't want to be in thw position we were at the end of the season next year. We have to ensure CL qualification as early as possible
Some people think football is a matter of life or death but it's far more important than that. - Bill Shankley

A Well Balanced Soccer Player Has A Beer In Each Hand!
LiverpoolFan00
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED ANT » Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:30 pm

LiverpoolFan00 wrote:I think just send over the kids. The competition doesn't mean much and our priority next year has to be a good league position. We don't want to be in thw position we were at the end of the season next year. We have to ensure CL qualification as early as possible

I think we will turn the top 3 into a top 4 next year regardless of what else is going on.The league has to be our no.1 priority and Rafa himself has learned alot of lessons about our league so will be better equiped to deal with the games/ teams we will play.

Last year was a definate blip as regards our domestic form but player for player we are streets ahead of the likes of Newcastle,Spurs,Boro and Villa let alone the Bluescum and Bolton.We just have to prove it.
RED ANT

Postby LiverpoolMadman » Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:40 pm

Sent Everton ....:p :p :p :p
LiverpoolMadman

Postby jymbojetset » Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:48 pm

LiverpoolMadman wrote:Sent Everton ....:p :p :p :p

Yeah, as Moyes has said - they are better!!

:D
jymbojetset
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:56 pm

bigmick wrote:Jeez Woof. I must remember never to try and give you a lecture on supporter loyalty. I remember the game vaguely. We took our absolute best team and got a banjo-ing. Didn't Zico get a couple of goals? Was it played in Japan aswell?

Yeah, it was in tokyo and the brazilians ran rings around us . I managed to get to the game because as it happend I was in the far east at that time. There's no way I could have afforded to fly out from the uk .

The point of my objection to this game Big Mick is that it comes slap bang in the middle of our season , asking our players to jet halfway around the world play what is in effect an exhibition game for the benefit of the jap public and fifa and uefa dignitaries and then fly halfaway around the world to get home again leaving the players jet lagged and knackered imo makes no f'kin' sense .

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby dawson99 » Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:01 pm

but we agreed to take part, so we have to go if u ask me. it'll make us some money and we are going as the champions of europe, we are going as ambassadors for the whole continent.

With quick flights nowadays and the chance to rejig the premiership a bit i cant see a major problem

is there a winter break in the premiership this term? i cant remember.

i just dont want liverpool to become a whining club
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby the great one » Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:40 pm

dawson99 wrote:is there a winter break in the premiership this term? i cant remember.

No the season finishes earliear.
Last edited by the great one on Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
''I know Mourinho likes to tell people that he is the European champion manager but he's not now. That belongs to Benitez. '' Jamie Carragher
the great one
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Galactico » Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:26 pm

Boys i tend to agree with both sides of the argument but we should remember this is what is expected from winning the European Cup. Admittedly instead of playing 1 game in Japan we now have two, but remember we all knew this prior to the European Cup kicking of and believe you me i aint grumbling. Now with 5-6  top class players "reportedly" heading to LFC and after playing in 15 European matches last season we should be able to handle ONE week in Japan.

My personal opinion is UEFA bent over backwards for us! OK the first round is a dump decision but technically speaking WE did not qualify!! If any ones to blame it is without doubt our FA. Who, by the way, are now moaning at the fact that English clubs kitty is divided 5 ways??? Can some explain to me why the FA are dead against us?
Galactico

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion