Reaction to the protest.... - On saturday night.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Dundalk » Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:42 am

The Sunday Times: "With yesterday’s game shown live by the BBC it started with the Kop leading a protest against Kelvin MacKenzie, recently hired by the corporation, who was editor of the The Sun during its notorious coverage of Hillsbrough. It was extraordinary, a six-minute repetition of a single chant: “Justice for the 96”. So little happened on the pitch at the time it was as if the players were waiting respectfully for the crowd to stop."

The Observer: "To say Anfield was noisy at the start of this Cup tie would be the understatement of 2007. The Kop welcomed the television cameras as promised, with a superbly orchestrated protest over slurs on fans' behaviour at Hillsborough, recently re-aired by Kelvin MacKenzie. He was editor of the Sun at the time of the original accusations. The display lasted exactly six minutes into the game - though with grim irony, fans were warned that holding up placards during play would infringe safety regulations - then switched off with military precision, to coincide with the time when the 1989 FA Cup semi-final was abandoned. The protest was replaced by the type of sustained din usually reserved for big European nights."

The Independent: "There had been an unreal air to the opening six minutes as the whole of the Kop held up red and white cards to form a giant mosaic and chanted "Justice for the 96" in support of those supporters who died at Hillsborough almost 18 years ago. Anyone whose view was obscured would have missed nothing, the first quarter of the game passing without incident."

Sunday People: "The opening six minutes were dominated by an incredible display on The Kop where, to a man, supporters held up cards which spelt out 'The Truth' in letters 20 feet high, a tribute to the 96 Liverpool fans who died at Hillsborough and a protest against the perceived injustice of so many deaths.

It prompted a frenzied atmosphere which seemed to affect both sets of players as they struggled to find any kind of pattern for the first 15 minutes with so many passes misplaced or over-hit."

Sunday Mirror: "It may be almost 18 years since the tragedy of Hillsborough, but the wounds from that terrible day in Sheffield continue to run deep.

Stirred by recent sickening comments made by the former editor of a tabloid newspaper, fans on the Kop held up cards to produce a mosaic which read: "The Truth" as they sang "Justice for the 96."

The main protest lasted until six minutes after kick-off - a reference to the time it took for the authorities at Hillsborough to realise that people were being crushed to death in the Leppings Lane end of the stadium.

When the fans eventually began to concentrate on the game, there was little to shout about."

The BBC Sport website: Nothing. Not a mention. Embarrassed? Ashamed? After all, they employed MacKenzie despite earlier protests and without any sign of concern.

The Sky Sports website: Again, nothing, not a mention. Sky aren't currently part of the boycott of The S*n, but are owned by Murdoch, the owner of The S*n. Then again, so are The Times, and they managed to mention it. Why are Sky ashamed to mention this protest?

With special mention to Brian Reade who wrote in the Daily Mirror before the game........

"TIME TO KOP THE TRUTH KELVIN

MEMO to Kelvin MacKenzie: If you're doing nothing at 5.15 tonight why not tune in to the Liverpool v Arsenal game on BBC1, where you will find 12,000 Kopites expressing what they think of your persistent campaign to rubbish the findings of Lord Justice Taylor's Report into the Hillsborough Disaster.

It will last a full six minutes. Or as long as 96 fans were left by police to die inside cages while an FA Cup tie played on in front of them in April 1989. But I don't need to remind you of the details, as you know them all. Even though you were 200 miles away at the time.

Because some anonymous Yorkshire copper who was ordered to deflect attention away from his force's culpability, span you a pack of lies, which you gladly published as The Truth, and which cost your newspaper dear.

Perhaps you still loathe yourself for being a submissive lackey who mouthed a false apology at Rupert Murdoch's behest or maybe you're too vain to accept hard evidence and let it go.

Either way you're still telling audiences, like the one in Newcastle last month, The Truth about Hillsborough was that Liverpool fans got tanked up, stampeded a gate, killed their own, and as they lay dying, :censored: on them and stole their belongings.

I just hope the Kop's tribute to you evokes a fraction of the anger and pain your continued lies do to the many people still living with the harrowing consequences of British football's most tragic day.

But I don't think it will. Which, Mr Mackenzie, is the saddest Truth of all."
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:32 pm

RICK PARRY and Rafa Benitez today led the tributes to The Kop's dignified performance during the disappointing FA Cup defeat to Arsenal on Saturday.

Chief Executive hailed the `moving' protest on behalf of the 96 Hillsborough victims as Liverpool fans vented their fury at the recent slurs of former Sun editor Kelvin Mackenzie.

The six minutes of incessant chanting created a crescendo of noise during the early stages of the game with Arsenal.

And Parry says the fans can expect the club's ongoing support as part of the `Reclaim The Kop' campaign which was officially launched this month.

"It was stunning," said Parry.

"It just shows what Liverpool supporters are capable of. We know the strength of feeling on this issue and were happy to work in partnership to allow it to happen.

"We've allowed mosaics on The Kop on numerous occasions and we've seen how effective they can be. The first time we allowed a mosaic was part of the successful campaign to pressurise Sheffield Wednesday into erecting a memorial at Hillsborough - a move they'd previously resisted.

"Of course, the tribute to Gerard Houllier on his return from illness is another occasion which will always live in the memory.

"We've met supporters and agree with their sentiments regarding what makes this club special. Although we're all working hard on issues such as investment and taking the club forward, we're determined to keep sight of what makes the atmosphere in our stadium so unique and want to preserve that."

Manager Benitez added: "The supporters were magnificent. When they are like this, they prove why they are the best in the world. It was a pity for them we could not win the game, but we hope they make similar noise tomorrow and maybe we can progress in a different competition."
Last edited by Dundalk on Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:59 pm

Indeed we have a special set of supporters.

When is Kelvin McKenzie due next on air? I wonder if he will make any formal reaction to this or dare i say retract anything he has said.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby scouser 'til I die » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:55 pm

The last part of the Brian Reade article is a great message to McKenzie. I hope he does respond to the protests, but i will not be any less grateful for what the fans done during those 6 minutes of compassion, if he didn't. Long live the 96 in our hearts. YNWA

You'll Never Walk Alone
scouser 'til I die

Postby Anfield rapper » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:40 pm

I hope Mckenzie's family were watching the game and realising what a t*at he is. It was unbelievebly well orchestrated and Motty was great on the night. There could well have been alot of people watching who didn't know what it was about butMotty explained the whole reason for the protest and even mentioned Mckenzie by name which i didn't think would happen.
Anfield rapper
LFC Super Member

Postby redmikey » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:10 pm

feck mckenzie

that really moved me and i wasn't even there, to see the kop and the whole ground unite was out of this world

true to the words " you will never walk alone"

i am always proud to be a liverpool fan but the noise that was produced brought a lump to my throat
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby Pedro O'Maradona » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:57 pm

top marks to all involved including the club for officially backing it....
Be proud!
YNWA
Pedro O'Maradona

Postby Ciggy » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:38 pm

Anyone else think Lawros lost the plot all together?
He was well p.issed off commentating on the game, you could tell he was fuming really nasty to Motson aswell. And he was nasty on the radio earlier saying MacKenzie should also be aloud to get his point of view across.
For an ex red he doesnt seem to like us very much.
He was all over the mancs yesterday though.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Mikz » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:46 pm

The mancs only need to string 3 passes together and hes unzippin his flies !!
He even said in the 67th minute-Thats aston villas chance of the game, even tho they got another one a minute later.
As for his comments on our game - :no
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:47 pm

Mikz wrote:The mancs only need to string 3 passes together and hes unzippin his flies !!
He even said in the 67th minute-Thats aston villas chance of the game, even tho they got another one a minute later.
As for his comments on our game - :no

He nearly bit the other commentators head off when he said do you think Baros will go to Chelsea  :laugh:
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:56 am

He was well p.issed off commentating on the game, you could tell he was fuming really nasty to Motson aswell. And he was nasty on the radio earlier saying MacKenzie should also be aloud to get his point of view across.

He needs to realise that while MacKenzie is entitled to his opinion, two things must be considered, A) that his opinion has been disproven and debunked officially, and B) all opinions have the consequence of reaction.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion