Ratings / match report

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby banana » Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:46 pm

A terrible result, but at times good football from the reds. Especially in the first half.

Reina - 6
Did not have a lot to do. Good distribution. Quick off the line but he was more unsafe with a poor back 4 in front of him.

Finnan 6
I was hoping for more from the irishman offensively. Controlled his opponent well and bossed his half of the pitch. Made a few mistakes defensively and almost gave away a goal to Benfica.

Carra 6
Partly responsible for the first goal although he was left isolated by a out of position Traore. Should have scored at least one goal. Just not as dangerous and accurate as Hyypia in the air.

Traore 5
What is there to say? Will probably never make it. Could do a good job at a lesser club.

Warnock 5
Typical Warnock game. Rash in the tackle, makes schoolboy errors on the ball and is at times out of position.

Garcia 6
Always doing a lot of work and making clever runs. Good first half. Went missing in the second.

Alonso 9
A giant. Defensively and when going forward. Alonso had a wonderful game and he is our best midfielder. A joy to watch how he position himself, how hard he works and how much pace and accuracyt there is on his passes.

Gerrard 8
Good game. Lots of pace and power all over the pitch. He could have scored 3 goals but it just wasn't liverpool's afternoon.

Kewell 6
I don't think he has the skills or the power to go past his man so his crosses are usually made from far out giving the strikers not much chance of scoring. Kewell is now playing average on a regular basis but I must say that we need more.

Crouch 6/7
Dangerous in the air. Lots of flicks and clever touches. But he suffers from bad crosses and a poor partner. Two times he hit the post so he was our most dangerous player up front.

Morientes 0
The worst player in the premiership. No pace, no technique, no strenght NOTHING. A shocker. A horrible game. Why the HELL is he playing. I bet 100 bucks that if we had not sold Baros we would have been in the quarter finals. Morientes should NEVER play more games for us. I completely hate his azz and he is ruining everything for the team. What a waste of space.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby Alonso_Rulz » Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:52 pm

what can you say about morientes.. yes, he was a winner, but he is just awful to watch. carra had the worst of games by his standard. But morientes, what is he doing? no effort, got to say he rates one of the worst signings of rafa reign. In the past he run and pass the ball well enough for us to say " lets give him another chance". but tonight , he is a disgrace to liverpool FC.. din't close down players, can't even hold the ball well, his passing, lack a awareness, POOR... why din't fowler start?
Alonso_Rulz

Postby LFC #1 » Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:53 pm

A bit harsh on Morientes, Worst player in prem? The first 20 mins or so he did well. Should've brought Robbie on earlier though.

Would love to see what rating you would give Cisses' sub performance?
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GOAT » Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:54 pm

i guess on another day i would say you were being too harsh on some, but this time i have to agree on most of it. Traore should have even lower, was absolutely abysmal, a liability at the back making a mistake every time he touched the damn ball. Him and morientes were awful and need to f.uck off now. A few of them played well today but the rest were incompetent on the field, couldnt get anything flowing whatsoever especially in the 2nd half when we should have given everything
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby ivor_the_injun » Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:55 pm

Yes, you're absolutely right. Baros is the missing link in the jigsaw for us. How can you bet money on something that you'll never know?

F*cking hell, lad. We're out, get over it. We could do with a bit more dignity in defeat than you're showing. First half we were pretty good, but I think our second half performance in general was far from impressive. There were moments of good stuff, but it wasn't anywhere near what was required.
ivor_the_injun

Postby Alonso_Rulz » Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:55 pm

if i were u, i will give morientes -0.. doesn't deserve to even worth a point. L garcia, hohoho.... i don't even think he will have a game next season when liverpool buy another RW.. which is the only position apart ,from the striker, not confirm.
Alonso_Rulz

Postby Alonso_Rulz » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:00 pm

baros is never the solution, but sinama IS.... i watch his last game.. he did score.. but the truth is ... we lack the determination to finish off the game. to lose 3-0 to benfica, it is a disgrace. to think that we are favourites to win. i have to say , rafa had to play a big part in us getting knock out of CL . the players he select, the lack of motivation to win in the first leg. the lack of determination to win at anfield, ya right, anfield is our home? it is like we play away.
Alonso_Rulz

Postby redman25 » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:05 pm

Alonso_Rulz wrote:what can you say about morientes.. yes, he was a winner, but he is just awful to watch. carra had the worst of games by his standard. But morientes, what is he doing? no effort, got to say he rates one of the worst signings of rafa reign. In the past he run and pass the ball well enough for us to say " lets give him another chance". but tonight , he is a disgrace to liverpool FC.. din't close down players, can't even hold the ball well, his passing, lack a awareness, POOR... why din't fowler start?

the reason JC was poor is because he had a clown stood to his left.  Oh and Banana, Baros in the side? Wake up lad he wasnt good enough period.  He was :censored: for us and is :censored: for Villa. 

We missed a certain player big time tonight, the one at the back who in your opinion isnt good enough.  It's games like this you appreciate how good that player is............
redman25

Postby ivor_the_injun » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:06 pm

I completely agree that letting Pongolle go out on loan was a mistake, but we can't get too hooked up on what would have happened if different people had been on the pitch.

We weren't great tonight all over the pitch. Some good stuff came from the centre of midfield, and there were some great chances first half. That's about it though.

I hate to use the excuse, but we looked pretty tired after the Simao goal went in. Second half we lacked any kind of urgency - last season with an absolutely decimated squad we were surging forward at times, but in recent games we've been several paces away from that, and as we've got strikers lacking confidence and composure in front of goal it does make it all the harder.
ivor_the_injun

Postby banana » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:17 pm

redman25 wrote:
Alonso_Rulz wrote:what can you say about morientes.. yes, he was a winner, but he is just awful to watch. carra had the worst of games by his standard. But morientes, what is he doing? no effort, got to say he rates one of the worst signings of rafa reign. In the past he run and pass the ball well enough for us to say " lets give him another chance". but tonight , he is a disgrace to liverpool FC.. din't close down players, can't even hold the ball well, his passing, lack a awareness, POOR... why din't fowler start?

the reason JC was poor is because he had a clown stood to his left.  Oh and Banana, Baros in the side? Wake up lad he wasnt good enough period.  He was :censored: for us and is :censored: for Villa. 

We missed a certain player big time tonight, the one at the back who in your opinion isnt good enough.  It's games like this you appreciate how good that player is............

Pizz it man. Of course Hyypia would have been an important player if he had been available. But if Agger hadn't been cup tied this wouldn't have been an issue. The position we really suck in is striker/forward. Letting Baros go was not a mistake. But letting him go WITHOUT a replacement who is AT LEAST as good as Baros was a HUGE mistake. FWIW I never thought Baros was a world beater, but he was a good striker with pace, power and intelligence. Not to forget a wonderful work rate. He chased the defenders like a mad dog. Compare it to Crouch and Morientes. They NEVER threathe the defenders or put pressure on them or close them down. NEVER. If we had Etoo, Shevshenko or Henry we would have been celebrating now. Heck. If we had Hasselbaink, Baros, Ashton, Jason Roberts, Bent, Bellam and so on and so on we would have been celebrating.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby Alonso_Rulz » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:21 pm

i think the most crucial point of the game is when benfica scored the goal. Had it not gone in, or we have deal with it, we would have at least force it to extra time, the first goal due to some uncharacteristic  defending of carra..the way carra defend is safety first, but he try to do something funny, the pitch certainly din help. u can blame troare all u want, but carra must raise his hands high up, and admitt is his fault, hyypia not playing is a key point in our defeat.
one thing i don't understand is why is the pitch so horrible, it is like  it had been used for horse racing.
Alonso_Rulz

Postby Alonso_Rulz » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:26 pm

banana wrote:
redman25 wrote:

Pizz it man. Of course Hyypia would have been an important player if he had been available. But if Agger hadn't been cup tied this wouldn't have been an issue. The position we really suck in is striker/forward. Letting Baros go was not a mistake. But letting him go WITHOUT a replacement who is AT LEAST as good as Baros was a HUGE mistake. FWIW I never thought Baros was a world beater, but he was a good striker with pace, power and intelligence. Not to forget a wonderful work rate. He chased the defenders like a mad dog. Compare it to Crouch and Morientes. They NEVER threathe the defenders or put pressure on them or close them down. NEVER. If we had Etoo, Shevshenko or Henry we would have been celebrating now. Heck. If we had Hasselbaink, Baros, Ashton, Jason Roberts, Bent, Bellam and so on and so on we would have been celebrating.

cant agree much but to say baros have intelligence. then i have nothing to say, we used to say he ran like headless chicken..cant pass the ball.. now u are saying we din replace him with better players. who will thought that morientes is such a big let down. who will thought that cisse is a waste of space. at the start of the season. everyone is saying we have a great strike force.. ya right. how can we predict something like that ( as above mention) to happen. selling baros to replace crouch. what do u think? a gd or bad thing.the answer is a gd decision
Alonso_Rulz

Postby 65-1140560321 » Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:44 am

Im sorry, but Carragher was a measly...2/10 tonight.

Not only did he get forward for every corner in sight, but he fluffed a rebound off the keeper first half to hit the side netting, hit the post with  a header, and skyed a corner header second half, he also had the ball and fluffed it when he should have hit the ball into row Z , but it went to Samosa who buried it into he top corner.
CArra was to blame for the first crucial goal.
65-1140560321

Postby Espionage » Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:00 am

banana wrote:
redman25 wrote:

I can understant that some people dont like Crouch's style, but i think that you are being a bit harsh on him. I still think that basically a straight swap for him was a great signing but who could have thought that no one around him could score: He needs a partner.
Baros would have been better that Crouch this season but that is because Crouch needs people scoring and supporting him, that is what we were SOPOSSED to have.
Baros was a headless chook, but he was useful our european style of play (i.e. defend and thrive on beautiful long passes from Gerrard and Alonso to Baros/Garcia and pray to god that we dont conceed). But to be honest, that style of play was not one that Liverpool should be playing, that is what an average team that got too far in the CL should be playing.
Then again who could argue that we weren't an average team last year? Everton finished above us becasue we couldnt score up front and conceeded a few :censored: goals in the EPL.
I always liked Baros when he was here because he was someone that would work his heart out, his lack of vision frustrated me and sometimes his attitude. Crouch on the other hand, if you give him a good goal poacher or some crafty wingers to play around will thrive. Crouch has a possibility of being part of something great. Baros was fine, but I never for one second thourght that Baros is capable of leading a successful front line for years to come. We are better than that....

YNWA
Espionage
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Gerrard30391 » Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:35 pm

i can't understand why you are blaming the defence. (bar Traore)You can't blame carra for there goal because if traore hadnt fannied about with it carra wudnt even have to think about it. the fact of the matter is are strikers can't finsih to save there lives. And i can't believe rafa can even dream of leaving his striker with the most goals out of the lot of them on the bench??? Why did't he start with Crouch and Cisse. o and BTW luis garcia is a load of balls hes :censored:! :( Lastly, i think the KOP were outstanding last night. The sound of the kop is sensational. They were in full voice even after the final whistle. Thats faith. The players should take heart from that.

YNWA!
"I certainly wouldn't say I'm the best manager in the business, but I'm in the top one."
Gerrard30391
LFC Super Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion