Match report for tonight...

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 115-1073096938 » Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:25 am

Dudek - 5. Distribution was slow and poor, was slow off his line on a number of occassions and failed to command his box.

Finnan - 6. Slowed the play down alot but had to keep passing backwards, no help at all from a shocking midfield display. Defended well enough.

Warnock - 7. Good game, best player on the pitch by a long way, passing, touch, tenacity and in general a good solid game.

Pellegrino - 6. Defended well but his distribution was woeful.

Carragher - 6. Worst game i've seen from him this season, didn't put a foot wrong though. Couldn't really influence the play from where he was, tried his best. His distribution wasn't great though either.

Luis Garcia - 5. Not good enough, ball retention is woeful, to feeble, wants to battle with everyone instead of playing his own game, wants to beat the man 10 times before he passes it. Poor game.

Didi Hamann - 5. Broke up there attacks well as ever and kept the ball for us but offered us NOTHING at all in terms of options when we had the ball. Poor performance.

Steven Gerrard - 6. Shown determination and passion but his lack of common sense and sunday league style movement cost us big time today. He kept the ball ok, but the lack of movement from the whole midfield was a disgrace.

Vladi Smicer - 4. BYE!!

Milan Baros - 4. Better than Owen ay Banana? 13 goals this season, impressive. Sorry but the lads just not good enough at all. Good third choice, nothing more. No awareness, no link up play, no goal threat... not even much effort tonight.

Fernando Morientes - 5. Worked hard, looked like he could threaten but it never really happened. Class act though, you could see that in one or two things he done. Will be an outstanding player next season i would think.

Subs:

Riise - 6. Added more energy and zest but never really got going. Had a go to his credit and created a great chance for the wasteful Baros.

Biscan - 5. Had a run and shot but never really got into the game, not his fault really.

Also, the referee tonight was again abysmal. The most arrogant t****** of a ref in england and a ****** one at that. Some of his decisions were woeful and the way he failed to move the blackburn players more than 3 yards away on our free kicks was shocking. This man should not be allowed to ref the game, he NEVER lets a game flow. The referee i'd most like to headbutt. Arrogant bald t******.
115-1073096938

Postby kopking4806 » Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:40 am

I STILL THINK THATS GENEROUS
:p
kopking4806

Postby banana » Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:43 am

Yes. Warnock was our best player for the second time in less than a week. Warnock will become a big favourite with the fans. He was the only one ready for the war The rest laid down their weapons and cried for mercy.

4 lessons to be learned:

1. We are better without Hyypia
2. Warnock is ready
3. We lack creativity and flair
4. We do not have the physical attributes necessary to break down teams (pace, strenght, stamina...)
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby kopking4806 » Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:05 am

banana wrote:Yes. Warnock was our best player for the second time in less than a week. Warnock will become a big favourite with the fans. He was the only one ready for the war The rest laid down their weapons and cried for mercy.

4 lessons to be learned:

1. We are better without Hyypia
2. Warnock is ready
3. We lack creativity and flair
4. We do not have the physical attributes necessary to break down teams (pace, strenght, stamina...)

i agree but i really think we lack an amount of arrogance which arsenal mancs and chelski all have

its the edge!!!!!

we look too flat and out of ideas

lets face it we arnt the creative team we once were!!!

too often in the past few seasons have we put on displays like that and im sorry but the top 3 just dont let it happen as often as we have

YNWA
kopking4806

Postby Iceman69 » Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:11 am

stu_the_red wrote:Dudek - 5. Distribution was slow and poor, was slow off his line on a number of occassions and failed to command his box.

Finnan - 6. Slowed the play down alot but had to keep passing backwards, no help at all from a shocking midfield display. Defended well enough.

Warnock - 7. Good game, best player on the pitch by a long way, passing, touch, tenacity and in general a good solid game.

Pellegrino - 6. Defended well but his distribution was woeful.

Carragher - 6. Worst game i've seen from him this season, didn't put a foot wrong though. Couldn't really influence the play from where he was, tried his best. His distribution wasn't great though either.

Luis Garcia - 5. Not good enough, ball retention is woeful, to feeble, wants to battle with everyone instead of playing his own game, wants to beat the man 10 times before he passes it. Poor game.

Didi Hamann - 5. Broke up there attacks well as ever and kept the ball for us but offered us NOTHING at all in terms of options when we had the ball. Poor performance.

Steven Gerrard - 6. Shown determination and passion but his lack of common sense and sunday league style movement cost us big time today. He kept the ball ok, but the lack of movement from the whole midfield was a disgrace.

Vladi Smicer - 4. BYE!!

Milan Baros - 4. Better than Owen ay Banana? 13 goals this season, impressive. Sorry but the lads just not good enough at all. Good third choice, nothing more. No awareness, no link up play, no goal threat... not even much effort tonight.

Fernando Morientes - 5. Worked hard, looked like he could threaten but it never really happened. Class act though, you could see that in one or two things he done. Will be an outstanding player next season i would think.

Subs:

Riise - 6. Added more energy and zest but never really got going. Had a go to his credit and created a great chance for the wasteful Baros.

Biscan - 5. Had a run and shot but never really got into the game, not his fault really.

Also, the referee tonight was again abysmal. The most arrogant t****** of a ref in england and a ****** one at that. Some of his decisions were woeful and the way he failed to move the blackburn players more than 3 yards away on our free kicks was shocking. This man should not be allowed to ref the game, he NEVER lets a game flow. The referee i'd most like to headbutt. Arrogant bald t******.

Have to agree with most of that that analogy!

Just as I would have put it Stu!

Especially......"Smicer..BYE!"..that made me laugh! totally spot on too.
I think it is the last season of his contract and benitez having put him in the team to tell him.."show me what u can do"

Smicers' answer was ****** all.

He is Poor. He's definately gone on a free come June, to probably bolton. or swansea...he does'nt offer anything.

totally agree on the Warnock Performance, lots of sharp urgent passes. impressive i thought.

Morientes, I thought it was hard for him, he needs to the ball played to him more often to do more damage. not his fault. i think he needs better supply of the ball. u give it to him, he will do the damage.

Baros, headless chicken. not the complete article. if we sell him, just not to anyone in the premier league!

Pellegrino!, agree stu, what are these silly whacks 50/60yards for? ??? they go to no one!

Stevie G, non existent.

Just no fight there.

If we play like that we could get beat in the CL. i mean, whic LFC will turn up? ?????

Having said that, on a brighter note.. AC MIlan got beat 4-1 by Udinese.

hee hee
Iceman69

Postby Paul C » Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:16 am

I'm starting to wonder if Baros has a future at Anfield, he just can't link up with anyone and never learns to look up rather than just putting his head down and running, I think the prime example is in the Cup Final, Morientes got the ball and ran with it then looked up and passwed to Riise were Baros would have never looked up and passed the ball and that the difference between world class (Mori) and average (Baros). :(

I agree with everyone that Warnock was mint again tonight, I really rate this lad and feel he has what it takes to put on the red shirt. :)
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:59 am

Smicer was awful and offered nothing at all.  Embarrasing when a defender comes on and looks ten times more creative.

Baros, well nothing went for him last night

The defence looked solid enough to be honest

But last night to me was how much we miss Alonso or a player like that. SG will try and drive the team forward and he's one of the best in the business doing that, but we desperately needed a player to control the pace calmly and change the passing directions.  Suppose the old fashioned put your foot on the ball type player.  We didnt have one player on the pitch who could dictate the pace and control through subtle passing.

Garcia tries but if the team isnt ticking he just seems to be the barometer and stands out like a sore thumb, but on the other hand if the team is flowing he stands out as well

The sooner Alonso returns the better
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:08 pm

Iceman69 wrote:Pellegrino!, agree stu, what are these silly whacks 50/60yards for? ??? they go to no one!

I thought Pellegrino did ok last night. He didn't have much choice with most of the long punts up the field. Our movement was poor all game and if your teamates don't give you an angle or offer a pass there's little choice but to lump it one.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:35 pm

Agreed, but it seemed to be his first option when he wasn't under pressure as apose to his last option when he's being closed down. The lack of movement from the midfield and Baros was frightening. I honestly think my sunday league sides movement is better at times.

No-one was running off and beyond anybody, it was lazy and poor and i'm not one to critisise the team normally but this season has been truely woeful and the worst i have seen for a long long time.

The loss of Owen is clearly showing as we don't have any serious 90 minute goal threat anymore. As good as Morientes is he's no goalscorer, i honestly believe we are in serious trouble and something desperately needs to be done next season. Players like Luis Garcia and Steven Gerrard need to do what they are good at instead of trying what they aren't and other players need to buck up of ****** off.

Theres a massive list of players i want to see out of the club this summer and if 3 or 4 QUALITY players aren't brought in we could miss out on champions league again next season.
115-1073096938

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:43 pm

stu_the_red wrote:Agreed, but it seemed to be his first option when he wasn't under pressure as apose to his last option when he's being closed down. The lack of movement from the midfield and Baros was frightening. I honestly think my sunday league sides movement is better at times.

No-one was running off and beyond anybody, it was lazy and poor and i'm not one to critisise the team normally but this season has been truely woeful and the worst i have seen for a long long time.

The loss of Owen is clearly showing as we don't have any serious 90 minute goal threat anymore. As good as Morientes is he's no goalscorer, i honestly believe we are in serious trouble and something desperately needs to be done next season. Players like Luis Garcia and Steven Gerrard need to do what they are good at instead of trying what they aren't and other players need to buck up of ****** off.

Theres a massive list of players i want to see out of the club this summer and if 3 or 4 QUALITY players aren't brought in we could miss out on champions league again next season.

Stu, there was no movement whatsoever last night, my gran moved more, and she died five years ago.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:05 pm

The only way we are going to be able to buy 3 or 4 quality players is to sell Stevie G. 

I thought we where good defensively last night, We won the battle in the middle of the park, BUT there was no final ball.

I have never been a Baros fan, and last night he did nothing to change my mind.
Morientes in used to receiving slide rule passes form Zidane, and that isn't happening for him

Its not the end of the world, we can still overtake EFC but it is getting harder every time we drop points.  There recent record is as bad as ours, so who knows???
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:14 pm

With Morientes' arial ability it was disappointing we couldn't get him into the box more to receive some decent crosses .
Poor performace there was no creativity on show. For me the only plus on the night was Warnock ,he at least deffo has a future with us.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby stmichael » Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:01 pm

last nights performance was completely inept if you ask me. we could still be playing now and we still wouldn't have scored. :down:

it's a major slip up because we are now only a point ahead of charlton and bolton and two ahead of boro. when you consider that boro have won ONE LEAGUE GAME this year this tells you how inconsistent our league form has been.

everton now have to slip up THREE TIMES for us to overtake them. they'll play in exactly the same manner blackburn did last night with one upfront. we have to have more penetration and inspiration to break them down.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby JBG » Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:49 pm

stu_the_red wrote:Agreed, but it seemed to be his first option when he wasn't under pressure as apose to his last option when he's being closed down. The lack of movement from the midfield and Baros was frightening. I honestly think my sunday league sides movement is better at times.

Oh how the worm has turned!
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion