Match report vs man utd

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:23 pm

stu_the_red wrote:Gerrard - 5. Awful. Simply awful. Poor passing, no movement, no quality, no effort, no drive, no nothing. Shocking performance and was shown up by Roy Keane and Paul Scholes. This is the third massive game this season he simply failed to perform in. He's got everything in his locker, thats what really pisses me off about him. Buck up, or ****** off.

that's a bit harsh stu.

I think the issue we have is this....

When Ronaldinho has a poor game, chances are Larsson, Xavi or Eto'o will produce the goods.

If Robben doesnt play well, either Duff or Lampard will dictate things, more often than not.

Where Ronaldo doesnt deliver, usually Raul, Zidane or Figo has done.

Point being this...the best sides in the world have more than one world class player, so when one doesnt perform, they usually have others who do...and this can mask the fact that the other one hasnt been very good.

Our problem is that we dont.

That's really all there is to it, IMO.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 109-1105722616 » Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:28 pm

i think the injuries to alonso, cisse, gerrard, baros or coming at different times and there has been no real chance for us to field our strongest team for consecutive matches.
109-1105722616

Postby lakes10 » Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:50 pm

gerrard did have a bad day but i think we should have seen it coming , over the last few games he has drifted in and out of them .
i dont think it has all been his he has been told to stay back and provide balls for anyone that is up front but what has been happing is that the team are lossing the ball before it has been passed to him.
the man u game was a poor game but i think we whent about the game the wrong way , to me it seemed that Benitez  sod you all i am the best and i buy the best and i am going to play my new players to show you i know what i am talking about , if he did not think like this why did we not play like we did against Arsenal !!
as for Luis Garcia he should sit on the bench till he learns how to not bee greedy and pass a ball.
and as for Steven Gerrard we ok why not drop him for a game and give him a kick up the a** if he is going to leave then it wont change anything and if he is not it might shut him up a bit , if he wonts to win things than he should take a look at how he is playing to start of with before kicking up a fuss.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sun Jan 16, 2005 3:12 pm

that's a bit harsh stu.

When Ronaldinho has a poor game, chances are Larsson, Xavi or Eto'o will produce the goods.

If Robben doesnt play well, either Duff or Lampard will dictate things, more often than not.

Point being this...the best sides in the world have more than one world class player, so when one doesnt perform, they usually have others who do...and this can mask the fact that the other one hasnt been very good.

Yes, but you'd expect a player like Gerrard to perform in an important match. Our three most important ones this season, he's simply gone missing.

He was woeful at old trafford, i'd have given him a 3 or 4 out of 10 up there, against everton a 5 at best for effort but lack of quality and that yesterday.

He was shocking, he strolled around the pitch, didn't move, didn't track his men, tried to much in the wrong areas, gave the ball 11 times out of his first 16 passes which is a truely shocking statistic and in general was ****** poor. Usually he is superb, i can forgive the odd match where he doesn't perform, but three big games, three ****** performances? Unacceptable from your best player.

gerrard did have a bad day but i think we should have seen it coming , over the last few games he has drifted in and out of them .
i dont think it has all been his he has been told to stay back and provide balls for anyone that is up front but what has been happing is that the team are lossing the ball before it has been passed to him.
the man u game was a poor game but i think we whent about the game the wrong way , to me it seemed that Benitez  sod you all i am the best and i buy the best and i am going to play my new players to show you i know what i am talking about , if he did not think like this why did we not play like we did against Arsenal !!
as for Luis Garcia he should sit on the bench till he learns how to not bee greedy and pass a ball.
and as for Steven Gerrard we ok why not drop him for a game and give him a kick up the a** if he is going to leave then it wont change anything and if he is not it might shut him up a bit , if he wonts to win things than he should take a look at how he is playing to start of with before kicking up a fuss.

Gerrard gave the ball away 11 times out of his first 16 passes yesterday.
115-1073096938

Postby fivecups » Sun Jan 16, 2005 3:25 pm

stmichael wrote:
stu_the_red wrote:Gerrard - 5. Awful. Simply awful. Poor passing, no movement, no quality, no effort, no drive, no nothing. Shocking performance and was shown up by Roy Keane and Paul Scholes. This is the third massive game this season he simply failed to perform in. He's got everything in his locker, thats what really pisses me off about him. Buck up, or ****** off.

that's a bit harsh stu.

I don't think Stu's assessment of Stevie's performance is harsh Mick - I thought it was his worst performance for a long time. His passing was awful and for long periods I almost forgot he was playing. We've become so used to his dominant midfield performances that I found myself wondering if he was carrying an injury.

But I think your spot on when you say we had no-one to stand up and fill that gap. It adds credence to the media's favourite saying 'When Gerrard plays poorly, Liverpool play poorly'. He did and we did.

Also Stu - the Arsenal and Olympiakos were unquestionably huge this season and Gerrard was superb in both, I don't think we can forget that.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Santa » Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:12 pm

marklfc wrote:
The_Rock wrote:well look at it this way...if gerrard leaves it is gonna cost at least 30 million. look who can we buy for 30 million :

1)Anelka (6 million)
2)Aimar (7 million)
3)SWP (10 million + diouf + Cheryou + diao + Vignal + Diarra) - He again scored 2 goals against palace today.

Still have 7 million spare cash..... And with the board giving more money next season (another 10 million - just a guess)...
we have 17 million to spend on a defender & goalkeeper....

So you see gerrard leaving is not the bad at all if you turn it to your advantage......

thats funny that, giving them 5 players and 10m for one player

yes, a good deal...for us!
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Santa » Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:23 pm

fivecups wrote:
stmichael wrote:

that's a bit harsh stu.

I don't think Stu's assessment of Stevie's performance is harsh Mick - I thought it was his worst performance for a long time. His passing was awful and for long periods I almost forgot he was playing. We've become so used to his dominant midfield performances that I found myself wondering if he was carrying an injury.

But I think your spot on when you say we had no-one to stand up and fill that gap. It adds credence to the media's favourite saying 'When Gerrard plays poorly, Liverpool play poorly'. He did and we did.

Also Stu - the Arsenal and Olympiakos were unquestionably huge this season and Gerrard was superb in both, I don't think we can forget that.

Well if you can't get worked up and perform above par during these big games, something must be wrong...

Also I would expect that with players being paid top dollars, it wouldn't be too much to expect a bit more commitment, self-discipline (eg, Diouf) and exhibit a bit of intelligent (Garcia...knowing that he gave the ball away too easily should've be smarter than put on his circus act again and again, match after match  :angry: )

I agree with stu, shocking performance being put out on such a big match.
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby akumaface » Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:41 pm

Gerard say he is going to honor his contract at least till the end of contract. So, I think we should all stop speculating who should we buy or get rid of when he is gone. As of the game vs ManU. I think if we can have all our regulars playing consistently without anyone injured, we should be able to go against anyone in the EPL and win. Just give them times and we had bad luck with injuries this year. I think luck is also a very important part of being a champion. So, maybe this is not the year and so what. Maybe we will win 4 or 5 years in a row. Who knows and I will put my finger crossed.:)
akumaface
LFC Super Member

Postby A.B. » Sun Jan 16, 2005 7:36 pm

If Alonso was playing we wouldn't had lost. We could had Gerrard playing badly but with Alonso dictating the passing game we would had equalized it and gotten something out of the game.

Without Alonso, Gerrard has to dictate the passing role instead so when he plays poorely we play poorely because in a big game he can't seem to get his act together. You have to have your central midfielders controling the game and passing the ball effeciently otherwise the team will go down and we did.
Last edited by A.B. on Sun Jan 16, 2005 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby 109-1105722616 » Sun Jan 16, 2005 7:46 pm

A.B. wrote:If Alonso was playing we wouldn't had lost. We could had Gerrard playing badly but with Alonso dictating the passing game we would had equalized it and gotten something out of the game.

Without Alonso, Gerrard has to dictate the passing role instead so when he plays poorely we play poorely because in a big game he can' seem to get his act together. You have to have your central midfielders controling the game and passing the ball effeciently otherwise the team will go down and we did.

spot on, watch the difference when we get alonso back, and kewell on his day can be devastating
109-1105722616

Postby mrcool2003 » Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:16 pm

jonnymac1979 wrote:Arsenal lost today.  Chelsea have gone 10 points clear.  The Scum are one point behind the Arsenal.  Lets hope the Sh!te lose tomorrow.

thats the stupidest thing to say m8, saying as middlesborough would of been above us if they had of won, but now we're still 5th and everton are only 7 points, plus they have all the big clubs to play so i dont think its such a big gap really, but we need to get back on track with a win at southampton where our record isnt that great but we need to win again
mrcool2003
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Mikz » Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:53 pm

I agree with St Mick.Pointing the finger at Gerrard is scandalous. I dont think he had a bad game at all,he won more tackles against Keane than lost and rattled scholes ,not bad considering he seemed to be alone against 2. Utd set out to shackle him and i think he held his own.But as St mick said ,we have nobody else to worry about.Garcia -he thinks hes an ice skater and Hamaan ffs he moves in slow motion. The sooner we get Alonso Back ,the better. :glare:
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:56 pm

Mikz wrote:Garcia -he thinks hes an ice skater

oh my god you've just given me hilarious visions now.  :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby A.B. » Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:58 pm

We will be fine without Alonso as we are not playing any tough opponents in the upcomming fixtures, we should be able to get the points we need to get back on track. Alonso has a long way to go before returning. I hope Lampard breaks both of his ankles in the next fixture, Chelski c#nt.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby whylongball? » Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:21 am

Guys no point blaming SG and Hamann..i dont think it was their fault...Its already hard enuf to play against Keane and Scholes..its harder when you have to cover the  space left by Gacia on the right. i observed there were lots of times Fletcher come in center and its was 3 vs 2...and the mans can really put those short passes together...thats how we lost the midfield imho
With Alonso in the midfield with SG and Hamann, the midfield would be ours..yes just 3 of them...Garcia just not a winger(not disciplined enuf to be there)he would be great playing behind the strikers
whylongball?

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion