Match report vs newcastle

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:49 pm

Dudek - 6. Nothing much to do. Commanded his box well enough when needed and was good with his kicking and distribution. Could do nothing about the goal.

Finnan - 7. Good game again. Impressive season. His passing, crossing, touch and intelligence are superb. Really starting to look a good buy at £3m.

Carragher - 7. Didn't have much to do but what he done he done well as ever. Was solid and a pressence throughout.

Hyypia - 6. Didn't really have much to do at all, defended well on a most occassions and not so well on others, in general was solid and gave us a base to build on.

Riise - 7. Got up and down the flank well and linked well with Kewell on a number of occassions. Another player who has improved this season.

Luis Garcia - 6. Out of position again but at the moment seems the best man for that position. Was sloppy on the ball and lacking in confidence. but worked had and linked up well on a number of occassions. Isn't looking as bright as when we first signed him, needs more time to settle.

Alonso - 7. Bossed the pace of the game with his passing and interceptions. What a player this lad will be. Was a bit quiet in periods but shown class on a number of occassions. He seems to have a similar brain for breaking attacks up to Hamann but has more going forward.

Gerrard - 7. Loads of running and energy, shown great skill and some good passes but was sloppy at times as usual. Still, he's only 24 and keeps improving. His aggression and power are a joy to watch at times.

Kewell - 7. Best he's played in a long time. Was positive and looked a bit more confident. He was still sloppy at times but he worked hard, shown a bit more skill and set Baros up superbly with a great turn and pass. He's shown he's still a great player, just lacking in form, but that appears to be changing. He still looks a yard slower than when we first signed him, but hopefully he'll get that back.

Mellor - 6. Took his goal brillliantly and was some good movement but in general was quiet. Played one or two good passes aswell. Looking better the more he plays and is scoring the goals. 5 goals so far this season says to me he'll score goals whatever level he plays at, Arsenal, Newcastle, Boro and Olympiakos... not exactly a poor scoring record that...

Baros - 8. M.O.M. Good game, twisted and turned and full of running. Set Mellor up superbly and scored a great goal. Was also unlucky with an overhead kick aswell as putting one on a plate for Luis Garcia.

Subs...

Pongolle - 6. Shown some great touches and turns and energy but was sloppy and chose the wrong pass on occassions. Still learning, looks a good prospect still...

Nunez... Traore... Not really enough time to make an impact.
115-1073096938

Postby vlady16.1 » Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:56 pm

:p stu-- couldn't agree more , but could one count hyppia as a forward now -- i keep seeing him in the opponents box -- good game
vlady16.1

Postby LFC #1 » Mon Dec 20, 2004 12:21 am

would have given Baros a 9, but other than that good assesemnt as usual.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:08 am

Nar 9 is to much. He was playing against Elliot don't forget. If he'd done that against Cannavaro then it would have been a 9. :)

He beat what was infront of him though and that was all you can ask on the day. Good performance. At home, apart from the obvious slip ups, we've been immensely impressive.

Personally i think the next level isn't to far away. I love Hyypia, he's great and a wonderfull leader but i think he's starting to look out of place in this system.

We still need a right winger, a centre half and a striker. All three MUST be immense quality though.

Anelka, Malbranque and... i can't name a centre half. Thats who i'd look at though at the moment. Things are looking up.

P.S. To Rafa... Luis Garcia is a drop off striker, not a midfielder and not a wide player. Not in this country at least... he can do a job if we're desperate but he looked a class above off the front man. Out wide he looks lost.... :)
115-1073096938

Postby chiggz_likes_owen » Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:13 am

Canavaro, wish we had him *sigh* :(
chiggz_likes_owen
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:15 am

P.S. To Rafa... Luis Garcia is a drop off striker, not a midfielder and not a wide player. Not in this country at least... he can do a job if we're desperate but he looked a class above off the front man. Out wide he looks lost....

I'm sure Rafa will take time out of his busy schedule to read your little note.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby JBG » Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:16 am

Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby A.B. » Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:17 am

Stu's arguement is that he wants to have a seperate thread for his opinion on the game.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby LFC #1 » Mon Dec 20, 2004 2:46 am

stu_the_red wrote:P.S. To Rafa... Luis Garcia is a drop off striker, not a midfielder and not a wide player. Not in this country at least... he can do a job if we're desperate but he looked a class above off the front man. Out wide he looks lost.... :)

agree stu, Luis looks comfortbale coming inside, he prefers to play more centrally as a drop-off stiker as you put it.

we need a winger like Wright-Philips who looks to take players on on the outside and get to the by-line, swinging in dangerous crosses.

If Morientes comes in Januray and we could have someone swinging in some good crosses from either wing then Morientes could be banging in goals left, right and centre because of his strong aerial threat.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby oakton » Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:48 am

Pongolle is a fantastic subs player, he is more damaging to the opposition when he is playing in the last 10-15 mins of the game than he plays as a starting line up.
oakton

Postby ssss » Mon Dec 20, 2004 7:48 am

sinama's got great ball control...lots of trickery..definitely one for the future. We should try to keep him and le tellec (whom I rate even more highly). One thing though, I think sinama should be a back up striker, someone in the mould of jari or even garcia..cos he's definitely too lightweight to be a striker/target man....
ssss

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion