Rafa's team talk - Team talk in istanbul!

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby H_K_LFC » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:09 pm

This might have been posted before but i just read it on the main site...

Rafael Benítez's half-time team talk in Istanbul. By the man himself...

"It was difficult, really difficult. We had a plan. We started the game, conceded the first goal and Harry Kewell was injured. OK, we needed to change the plan. Then we conceded the second goal and I was thinking about half-time, how to change the game. Right away we conceded the third. And now, I was thinking I needed to change my notes!

"I walked to the changing room, hearing all the fans, and I said to the players, 'We need to work hard for these people. If we score a goal, maybe things will change.' Then I decided to change the system. I said, 'Traore, get showered. And Didi [Hamann], get ready. We will play 3-4-2-1. This is the idea, OK? Come on, boys [claps]. Let's start working.'

"Then I turned and Steve Finnan was on the treatment table. And [physio] Dave Galley said we'd have to change Finnan in the second half. I thought, we've made one change, Smicer for Kewell in the first half. Now, Hamann for Traore and we need to change Finnan maybe in 20 minutes. So I said, 'Traore, you're back on. Finnan, get to the shower.' Finnan was disappointed, but Traore was ready.

"I went to the blackboard and I was thinking, OK, I've got Smicer as a right winger, but he's not the best getting back to defend and we've lost Finnan. So I said, 'We will use Cissé in attack, on the left.' But they said, 'Hang on, boss, we've got 12 players on the pitch.' Forget Cissé! I already had Luis García as a second striker, so I switched Gerrard to right-back.

“Then the physio said, 'We've got one minute to change things.' So we changed the players, but the system was the same: 3-4-2-1. We had good luck because we scored early. If we scored again soon, they would go down. We did and then we scored again. Shevchenko had that chance and we had a bit of good luck...but we had worked to get it. I always knew winning the Champions League would be difficult. But my idea is to think about games, not trophies."

:bowdown  :bowdown

12 players on at the one time :laugh:  :laugh:

LEGENDARY!!! :D
H_K_LFC
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby sundy » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:57 pm

sounds like a lot of confusion but no matter what was said it worked!!!!
Legend  :D
sundy

Postby zarababe » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:36 pm

This has been posted before, and is an amazing cocktail of mess.. you should read the book about it, you can't put it down.. fantastic :)
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby H_K_LFC » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:57 pm

zarababe wrote:This has been posted before, and is an amazing cocktail of mess.. you should read the book about it, you can't put it down.. fantastic :)

Didnt know there was a book,what is it called??
H_K_LFC
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Danny165 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:08 pm

Hello, i want to become a football fan but i dont know what team i want to support. Please convince me to support liverpool
Danny165

Postby Danny165 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:25 pm

i heard about this game,"the big game" in may wasnt it
Danny165

Postby 82-1074641017 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:26 pm

Danny165 wrote:Hello, i want to become a football fan but i dont know what team i want to support. Please convince me to support liverpool

:D
82-1074641017

Postby Danny165 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:27 pm

what? whats with the laughing. Im new to the whole football thing but i want to get into it
Danny165

Postby Danny165 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:47 pm

This place seems very quiet. Can anyone tell me who liverpool are playing a football match against next? I will watch it
Danny165

Postby zarababe » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:53 pm

H_K_LFC wrote:
zarababe wrote:This has been posted before, and is an amazing cocktail of mess.. you should read the book about it, you can't put it down.. fantastic :)

Didnt know there was a book,what is it called??

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec....9667066

Here's the Link.. it's called 'A Season on the Brink.. the path to European Glory..' by the respected Guillem Balague

Best read ever!

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:03 am

In Paco Lloret's book on Rafa Benitez he comments that at half time the mood was understandably gloomy but improved as the interval went on  "Someone mentioned the Olympiakos game at Anfield and the optimism was contagious".......In another interesting observation there were no recriminations just encouragement......

It goes to show that ultimately in football as in life you need that bit of luck. Rafa conducted his team talk more out of hope than expectation and just asked the lads not to be dragged down by the scoreline but to use their heads and socre early ....
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:06 am

.. yes doing it for the fans..the 12th man/woman..

was it not suggested at this year's AGM that the No 12 shirt should be retired.. sounds a decent shout to me.. lets all strike for it :D :laugh:

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Danny165 » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:07 am

Dalglish wrote:In Paco Lloret's book on Rafa Benitez he comments that at half time the mood was understandably gloomy but improved as the interval went on  "Someone mentioned the Olympiakos game at Anfield and the optimism was contagious".......In another interesting observation there were no recriminations just encouragement......

It goes to show that ultimately in football as in life you need that bit of luck. Rafa conducted his team talk more out of hope than expectation and just asked the lads not to be dragged down by the scoreline but to use their heads and socre early ....

was the managers team talk a big part in that comeback in the big final. I see you respect your manager a lot
Danny165

Postby Dalglish » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:20 am

Danny165 wrote:
Dalglish wrote:In Paco Lloret's book on Rafa Benitez he comments that at half time the mood was understandably gloomy but improved as the interval went on  "Someone mentioned the Olympiakos game at Anfield and the optimism was contagious".......In another interesting observation there were no recriminations just encouragement......

was the managers team talk a big part in that comeback in the big final. I see you respect your manager a lot

As much as I think Liverpool fans want to believe that Rafa's talk was inspirational and the reason we fought back and won the CL,  I suspect it was not a lot different from team talks he gives for other games......What was noted and picked up by the players was the reaction of the Liverpool fans who were belting out YNWA and singing "we're going to win 4-3" .......
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion