Rafa's reds face reina fight

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Paul C » Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:40 pm

It's not a rumour thus it's own thread.

From Teamtalk:

Rafa's Reds face Reina fight

Jose Reina's agent has revealed Liverpool are facing competition in their bid to sign the Villarreal goalkeeper.

It had been thought that Reina's move to Anfield was almost a done deal, but agent Manuel Garcia Quilon insists Reina and his club are talking to other clubs.

"We are listening to the offers," said Garcia Quilon. "Liverpool is one of the possibilities but the player also has other offers from England, Spain and Italy."

The 22-year-old has been linked with a move to the Champions League winners for the past two months.

But Garcia Quilon, who is also the agent for Liverpool coach Rafael Benitez, disputed it being an inevitability.

"It's difficult to know at this time where Reina will play next season, we just have to wait and see what the club (Villarreal) decides," he added.

Reina has already expressed an interest in becoming the latest Spanish player to join Benitez at Anfield, after Xabi Alonso, Josemi, Fernando Morientes and Antonio Nunez.

The Spanish goalkeeper, whose performances helped Villarreal reach the semi-finals of the Uefa Cup in 2004, signed an eight-year contract with the Valencian outfit last summer.
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:54 pm

Personally, I'd take Robert Greene from Norwich as my number one choice. Solid, reliable and young. As an alternative I'd look at Paddy Kenny from Sheffield United. Unfortunately, both have the look of the Sunday League goalkeeper from the local boozer so will probably never realise their potential in terms of being a glamour signing.
Reina? Haven't really seen him play but I must confess I hanker after the old days of a solid, unspectacular and reliable stopper between the sticks.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:57 pm

bigmick wrote:Unfortunately, both have the look of the Sunday League goalkeeper from the local boozer

LMAO  :D
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Pablo_Escobar » Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:59 pm

Yep, player agents and their tireless pursue to get their players a better contract (also take more $$$ for themselves). I'm sure Reina will be joining Reds shortly, only question is how big salary will Reina's be.
Pablo_Escobar
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby banana » Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:02 pm

bigmick wrote:Personally, I'd take Robert Greene from Norwich as my number one choice. Solid, reliable and young. As an alternative I'd look at Paddy Kenny from Sheffield United. Unfortunately, both have the look of the Sunday League goalkeeper from the local boozer so will probably never realise their potential in terms of being a glamour signing.
Reina? Haven't really seen him play but I must confess I hanker after the old days of a solid, unspectacular and reliable stopper between the sticks.

Rob Green? Paddy Kenny?

We cannot affort another goalkeeper experiment. I have had enough of relegated golkeepers and defenders at Anfield. I think Green need 3 or 4 years of work before he can get to the level we need. We have a good prospect in Carson don't we? What we need is no prospect, we need proven quality.

I think all the talk about Reina is just strategic bullsh!t from his club and agent in an effort to get more money from LFC. Reina is not the only good goalkeeper in the world, if Villareal don't stop acting opportunistically, we should just move for another goalie or stick with the Dude and Carson. I know Dudek would love to stay, and I think Carson is a good understudy to Dudek.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby bigmick » Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:09 pm

I actually suggested Greene and Kenny precisely because I too am tired of goalkeeper experiments. Both are solid, used to English football and would do a good job in my opinion. Reina may also be really good but for big money would be more of a gamble, not less in my view. Given that he has signed an eight year deal, and given that he has gone on record about improving his financial status, and given (sorry about all the givens ffs) his agents blatent fishing for more money, my antennae tells me that he prove to be one not to be relied upon in the trenches should we ever find ourselves there.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:35 pm

Its a done deal, and no messing, this particular quote is from 6 weeks ago !!

"We are listening to the offers," said Garcia Quilon. "Liverpool is one of the possibilities but the player also has other offers from England, Spain and Italy."
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:38 pm

A quote from the player from just Friday would be better for us to consider:

"To transfer to the champions of Europe, and furthermore to a team with Liverpool's history, isn't something in everybody's reach.

"My answer was clear and it could only be a positive one."

Paul C I am afraid this is more rumour than most on here bud. Based on pure speculation , conjecture and month old quotes.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:44 pm

gotta be with leon here, reina wants to come here and we want him, if there is such a thing as a done deal before the contract is signed, this is it
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby siti_zaiton1982 » Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:08 pm

i really hope reina's deal has been done n he'll move here soon.sick n tired of the endless speculations.
siti_zaiton1982
LFC Super Member

Postby RED ANT » Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:12 pm

dawson99 wrote:gotta be with leon here, reina wants to come here and we want him, if there is such a thing as a done deal before the contract is signed, this is it

Must say i can't see this one falling through now.Seems to many positive quotes from all concerned to not be happening.
RED ANT

Postby JC_81 » Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:48 pm

bigmick wrote:I actually suggested Greene and Kenny precisely because I too am tired of goalkeeper experiments. Both are solid, used to English football and would do a good job in my opinion. Reina may also be really good but for big money would be more of a gamble, not less in my view. Given that he has signed an eight year deal, and given that he has gone on record about improving his financial status, and given (sorry about all the givens ffs) his agents blatent fishing for more money, my antennae tells me that he prove to be one not to be relied upon in the trenches should we ever find ourselves there.

I know what you're saying about green and kenny, but isn't that what the scum tried with Carroll?  And look what happened there.  Solid keepers in england can struggle with the pressure of a step-up to a big club just as much as foreigners.

The only keepers in the english league i would have taken were Robinson/Niemi/Van der Sar.  These guys have international experience and wouldn't struggle with the pressures of a big club IMO.  Van der Sar is a good buy for the scum IMO.  Don't know that much about Reina to be honest
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby joependo » Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:10 pm

Rob Green? Paddy Kenny?
Hey lad.Paddy Kenny and Robert Green are not the worst of keepers in the world.Alright they let silly goals in but stand there ground.But i have to say i would rather say we got Paddy Kenny because in the fa cup(against arsenal) played a blinder.For my opinion i would like to see Paddy Kenny in our team not first like but backup.And i think he would play blinders week in and week out
joependo

Postby banana » Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:16 pm

bigmick wrote:I actually suggested Greene and Kenny precisely because I too am tired of goalkeeper experiments. Both are solid, used to English football and would do a good job in my opinion. Reina may also be really good but for big money would be more of a gamble, not less in my view. Given that he has signed an eight year deal, and given that he has gone on record about improving his financial status, and given (sorry about all the givens ffs) his agents blatent fishing for more money, my antennae tells me that he prove to be one not to be relied upon in the trenches should we ever find ourselves there.

Tired of goalkeeping experiments, and then you launch a experiment of gigantic proportions yourselves. Greene and Kenny? Established international goalkeepers of the necessary quality? How many times have Kenny or Greene played elite teams? Greene has been up against the likes of Chelsea, LFC, Arsenal and Man U only a handful of times, Kenny maybe one or two times in a cup competition. What are their credentials? A few clean sheets against Preston and Bournemouth? Sorry mate, but I'm not willing to jeopardize LFC's future by making a bet on Kenny's or Greene's abilities. Both unproven at the top level. The next step for Greene and Kenny is not Liverpool, it would be trying to get first team football for teams like Aston Villa or Portsmouth. And if they can successfully compete in the premiership over an extended period, then maybe. Having a good goalkeeper can earn you 15 points over a full season. Not a coincedence that the decline of Man Utd started when they lost Schmeichel is it? How many extra points did Cech earn his team this year, and how many points did Lehman and Almunia cost Arsenal? A good goalkeeper would have won LFC the title in the mid 90's, but David James gifted the trophy away.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby dawson99 » Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:20 pm

weird abuopt niemi i gotta admit, thought more clubs woulda gone for this guy
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion