Rafa feels we may lose tonight. - Guide to who are his key players.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Redrider » Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:16 pm

From the LFC Website.
BENITEZ: MY PROBLEM IF IT DOESN'T WORK
Paul Eaton 26 October 2004 

''Rafael Benitez has told his youngsters not to go into tonight's game with Millwall fearing failure. 
Benitez has made the bold decision to give some of his reserve players a run-out in this evening's Carling Cup test with Neil Mellor, Darren Potter and Zak Whitbread all set to start at The New Den.

But the manager has told his younger players to just enjoy the experience and to concentrate on reproducing the form they've shown for the reserves this season in the first team.

He said: "If they don't play well tonight then it's my problem. They need to run, to fight and to do all the things they show in the reserve games, that's all.

"It is my decision to play them so it is not their problem if it doesn't work.

"If we win players like Mellor, Potter, Biscan and Diao will have more chances to play. There will be more games and that can only help the squad.

"These games against teams in a lower league are very difficult because they want to beat Liverpool but I want to use all the squad.

"The fans want to see the best players for nine months if possible, but if you play them all the time for the first two or three months they can easily collect an injury and then be out for two or three months ''

Apparently Rafa is cautious of picking up injuries during the early part of the season, so is resting some key players. Who can blame him after the SG, injury.
The guide as to who is important to him, will be who is not playing !!
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby bigmick » Tue Oct 26, 2004 3:16 pm

Like his thinking though with the 'don't worry if you get beat' angle. Reminds me of Cloughie telling his Forest team-mates that if Chris Woods made any mistakes on his debut against Liverpool in the League Cup final, he wouldn't blame him at all, he'd blame them. Needless to say the blond ponce proceeded to produce a Tomeshevsky style performance, repelling our waves of attacks. I've got a feeling we drew and lost the replay 2-0 but I might be wrong it was ages ago.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redrider » Tue Oct 26, 2004 3:29 pm

It will be great if they come through with a win, give the young lad's a tremendous boost. My only concern is that Wise is the King of Niggle, personaly, I would like to see Hypia to play with Whitbread, to hold it together. But then I guess Henchoz can do the same.
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby Woollyback » Tue Oct 26, 2004 3:59 pm

A side like Millwall's also going to be the proverbial "banana-skin" (thank you Taff) so wouldn't be surprised whichever way the score goes tonight. Good to give the young lads a run-out, maybe Rafa will pay them a bit more attention than GH ever did
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Tue Oct 26, 2004 4:02 pm

Woollyback wrote:A side like Millwall's also going to be the proverbial "banana-skin" (thank you Taff) so wouldn't be surprised whichever way the score goes tonight. Good to give the young lads a run-out, maybe Rafa will pay them a bit more attention than GH ever did

To be fair, I think Rafa has already paid more attention to the youth system in four months than GH did in six years.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Oct 26, 2004 4:03 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:To be fair, I think Rafa has already paid more attention to the youth system in four months than GH did in six years.

here here
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby JBG » Tue Oct 26, 2004 4:05 pm

I think Millwall are a good enough cup side at home to trouble any Premiership side fielding a full team on a dark and murky night in October, so I don't think there's a huge difficulty in playing the youngsters.

In fact, it could be reverse psychology in that Millwall might see all of our youngsters and think "We'll beat them" which might play into our hands.

Anyway, its a long season and better the youngsters and squad players get some experience in the league cup rather being thrown into the deep end in a hugely important league match.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Redrider » Tue Oct 26, 2004 4:40 pm

The only danger is that we lose, drop out of the L' cup and miss the opportunity future experience etc and the possibility of playing in a final.
Do the winners still qualify for a Uefa slot ?
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby supersub » Tue Oct 26, 2004 4:47 pm

bigmick wrote:I've got a feeling we drew and lost the replay 2-0 but I might be wrong it was ages ago.

drew 0-0 at Wembley..lost replay 1-0..Pat Patridge not only incorrectly awards Forest a penalty but later in the game hands Ian Callaghan his 1st and only booking of his career.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby taff » Tue Oct 26, 2004 5:10 pm

Respect to Rafa thats a great statement especially they will all get other chances.

Think of the buzz if you were a youth player now
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:19 pm

Well thanks to Diao[I thought I would never say these words] we are up at half-time. 1-0
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Ciggy » Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:20 pm

:D 2-0 now A.B. Baros just scored  :p
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:28 pm

Baros is playing?
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Ciggy » Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:30 pm

baros finnan and riise is on but theres been fighting with the fans :(
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby L-type » Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:10 am

well his gamble paid off 3-0 with a brace from baros.
"I get bored quickly and like to change things — except my wife!”                   - Cisse
We all dream of a team of Sissoko's!! All 15 of them !!
L-type
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion