Pre-Season 2021/22

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:39 pm

Hard watch that, particularly that second half.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Lallana in Pyjamas » Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:00 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:39 pm wrote:Hard watch that, particularly that second half.

Better than when they stuffed us 5 nil
Lallana in Pyjamas
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:38 pm

Yeah it was a poor enough game in fairness.  1st half wasnt that great either considering the players we had out. Just didnt think we got at them enough.

Cant get into the whole Ox revolution myself. He just looked the same to me and he should be one of the fittest on the pitch.  Just give Origi away as he really hasnt got what it takes. You can see with Tsimikas how he is tryiing his nuts off to impress while he has a chance but Origi just goes through the motions.

Konate looks good. Hes a big lad and alongside Virg will be some threat from corners and set pieces. It will be good to see him against tougher opponents but so far so good. The Keita problem  :D  Showed some great touches and vision but you know it's only a matter of time!! Dont think Him and Thiago are likely to be playing together much so hopefully he can put in a season as reliable cover.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Eagle » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:55 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:03 pm wrote:
Eagle » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:17 am wrote:9 academy players are part of the camp: Harvey Davies (GK), Conor Bradley (RB), Owen Beck (LB), Billy Koumetio (CB), Jake Cain (CM), Leighton Clarkson (CM), Tyler Morton (CM), Kaide Gordon (FW) and Mateusz Musialowski (FW).

It will be interesting to see if any of these lads can do well enough over the month or so to become as Klopp describes them, “one of my boys”. These are guys who train full time with the first team rather than the academy. I know there is some hype around Musialowski but my money is on Kaide Gordon. He looks much further along physically and impressed in the first friendly. Conor Bradley had a great season last year and with Neco Williams rumoured to want a move there could be an opening at RB for a young lad.

Musialowski does look a terrific prospect though. Hope he gets some game time this pre season, yes he is young but plenty of players have been first team regulars at his age so I'm sure he can manage a couple of pre season run outs.

From Pep Lijnders' latest diary entry:

"Mateusz is back training with us tomorrow. He had some problems with his knee but it’s great he will be back with us on the pitch"
Eagle

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:13 am

Nice one, must admit I was wondering why he hadn't featured, particularly when, with all due respect, lads with a lot less natural talent have already been given a run out.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:13 pm

We are playing Hertha Berlin in a few minutes. Strong starting lineup as well.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:16 pm

Okay we lost but we looked a lot better today than in the other games, great to see Virgil and Joe back on the pitch as well.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby damjan193 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:36 pm

Yeah, the game had it's positives and negatives, fun game for the neutrals. Good to see Joe and Virgil back and getting a few minutes.

Looking at that team though, both Origi and Shaqiri weren't in the squad at all. Hopefully they're away negotiating, or even better, finalising their deals with their future clubs. If we sell those two we'll probably have enough for another new player.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:44 pm

Thought we had really good spells of possession throughout. Virgil and Joe getting a few minutes as well is a massive bonus.

Also hope that lad who Kelleher took out is ok. He looked completely out of it for a good few minutes.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Eagle » Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:50 pm

2 interesting things from this lineup for the first of two 60 minute games against Bologna. Elliot continues to get selected in midfield ahead of Jones and Ox. van Djik's selection suggests he might be ready to start against Norwich in the first game of the season.

A second 60 minute game follows immediately after this one.
Eagle

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:39 pm

Another decent performance (or is it performances? Weird set up that) against Bologna. We seem to pressing high up the pitch again which is good to see, there were times last season where we stood off teams but we seem to have a bit of zip and energy about us again.
Tsimkas has impressed this pre season as has the young lad Gordon, pity we never got to see the other young lad Musialowski but I'm sure he'll get his chance at some point.
Because of his size it's easy to forget that Konate is a young lad himself, he's good on the ball for such a tall lad and it's a shame that he'll probably miss out to Virgil and Joel when the season starts.
I wonder if playing with a back 3 would suit us? Given half of the goals scored in the premier league are from set pieces having 3 giants would surely be a plus at both ends of the pitch. Virgil, Joel and Konate would be a big threat from corners and free kicks and playing with a back 3 would also allow Trent and Andy to play a bit further up the pitch. Just a thought.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Eagle » Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:58 am

Been a really good pre-season so far.

Firstly, it's great to have an empty treatment room!

Tsimikas has been a bright spot and he'd be a good stand in for Robbo if the Scot gets injured. Hopefully he'll be a bit more lucky with injuries this year and gets some games.

Konate looks a real unit with genuine recovery pace and the ability to play the ball out. Hasn't really been tested too much defensively or in the air but he certainly looks like he has the raw attributes. Glad we spent more to get him rather than pay a lower fee for Kabak.

They'll need managing and building up over the next month or two but it's great too see Gomez and van Dijk out on the pitch again with smiles on their faces.

Keita's look good. I'm ready to be hurt again.

Elliott has definitely improved his strength and is able to hold off players now. Just a shame he lacks the acceleration to be a threat one on one in the wide areas and in behind. But he has real game intelligence and can play a through ball. Get him in between the lines and central and he could do some damage. Think he'll take Shaqiri's spot and could be quite useful off the bench when we're trying to break teams down.

At 16, Kaide Gordon looks a real talent. Think he'll stay with the first team squad and get time in the domestic cups.

Mane looks refreshed after a long break. Think he could have a big season.

Only negative is our first choice midfield all went quite far in their respective international tournaments so have come back quite late. Can't see them all starting against Norwich.
Eagle

Postby Eagle » Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:36 pm

We play Atletico Bilbao at 4pm. There is always one friendly before the season starts that sets a marker for the 1st game of the season and I'm guessing this will be it rather than the game against Osasuna tomorrow. Our double training sessions have probably stopped now and Bilbao start the season next season too so will be at a similar stage fitness wise. With the crowd in at Anfield, a strong side, and some lighter training leading up to the game, I'm hoping for a good performance.
Eagle

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:06 pm

Probably get a good idea who will be starting against Norwich, you'd imagine he'd give them at least one run out as an XI before the big opener.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby The Raven » Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:43 pm

We have depth to be able to field two teams in as many days,

Seems a strong line up
The Raven

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion