Points over performance

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby A.B. » Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:43 pm

It's always great to see us play fantastic football like we did against Chelsea but it seems that everytime we play great football and outclass the opposition we end up getting screwed by the refs. i.e. vs. Aston Villa, vs. Birmingham, vs. Chelsea and that's why I rather see us get points from a scrappy game like the one today against Norwich and Southampton rather than great performances with no points.

I think we played one of our best games against Chelsea and we had nothing to show for at the end. Now it is easy to point the finger at the ref because the refs today make so many crucial mistakes. We aren't the only ones that have suffered due to bad officiating. Blackburn were screwed when they were playing Southampton,Man Utd and several other teams.

Three points is all that matters, because on paper it's not going to say that we played better than Chelsea it's going to say that Chelsea won and we lost, yes it is hard to stomach but thats the way things are. Chelsea have been playing at average level for the past three games and were outplayed by the opposition but got the three points at the end.

We need to go on a winning run again and get the points we need to be in the top four, personally performance doesn't matter for now as long as we win.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Gareth G » Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:16 pm

True A.B. I would like to see quality football played obviously, but i dont care if its scrappy as long as we get points. The fact is, playing classy football doesnt win you the league, getting the points does. Sounds a bit stupid because you may say you need to play well go get good resluts, that can be true but...you know what i mean.
Gareth G
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:20 pm

To win you have to play both good and bad football to get the results which is what Chelsea are doing at the moment.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:46 am

the best team wins the league.
thats a fact, you can scrape together a good run like everton but at the end of the season the table doesnt lie.
thats why it is as important to develop your playing style as well as picking up the points
its a balancing act and considering the hurdles he`s had to negotiate so far this season rafa`s doing a great job of doing both.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby Dalglish » Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:14 am

The Quality and entertainment value at Liverpool games this season has been superb. One of the criticism's launched at Houllier in the last few seasons was the boring predictable way we played but thankfully thats not a criticism you could use this season.

This Season is about sorting out a team that Raffa believes his HIS team , playing HIS way. I would contend he is forced to select each week is nothing like what he would play if everyone was available.

Chelsea nd Arsenal and to a lesser extent United have all had pretty much full strength squads to choose from, Benitez has at times been down to teh bare bones in terms of players available , particularly up front yey has managed to fiels sides who score goals, entertain and compete. This has to be appalauded and I believe wil not have escaped the other clubs notice.
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby liamac » Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:26 am

I cant see how you can say  that its not entertaining football , ok  the norwich game was scrappy , but there was still some  good football at times played. It was after all the fourth game in 9 days  and every man and his dog was sh@gged out .

This season is like a 180 degree about turn  in the way Liverpool have played in the last few seasons,  we were starting to look like the Arsenal of old , boring football , and on top of that , not getting anywhere.
Liverpool this season under Raffa  has been  fantasic to watch , look at the Olympiacos game  or the game against Monaco at Anfield etc. 
There has been some sublime passing and movement , and if as Dalglish rightly  stated , Raffa had an injury free squad then he would of played the teams  he had in mind. As we are all aware , he couldnt  and  as also  rightly stated  played with bare bones.
My question is  could Houllier have done what Raffa has done ? the answer we all  know is  no he couldnt , and i think if the other top 3 managers had  injuries the way we have  had  ,then they all would be suffering.
Remember the scum a season or two ago ? riddled with injuries and Fergie blamed loosing the league title  on  the injuries.......(refer to  the Ferguson book of excuses chpt 2 pgh 3  )........
liamac
LFC Super Member

Postby Dalglish » Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:29 am

Are you quoting me ? Cos I said the Entertainment is so much better this season ? I'm confused:D
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:30 am

spot on Dalglish..nuff said
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby Dalglish » Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:30 am

ohhhhh I read the WHOLE post and realised your talking about AB :D
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:31 am

I forgot to point out that exhaustion takes its toll on the players, hell even Mourinho has complained about it while Benitez hasn't it. We've played a lot of games in a short period of time and that explains why we've been playing scrappy at times and also why some players played and some didn't.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby supersub » Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:31 am

no  spot on Dalglish...you are Dalglish ?
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby A.B. » Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:32 am

Dalglish wrote:ohhhhh I read the WHOLE post and realised your talking about AB :D

It still makes no sense to me because I've said that I don't care whether we play good entertaining football or not as long as we win.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Dalglish » Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:34 am

supersub wrote:no  spot on Dalglish...you are Dalglish ?

Course I am :) I was asking the other guy whether he meant me when he replied to teh post :)

Time lagbetween posts  got me all confused, I'm Ok now , took my tablets   :D
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:35 am

:D
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby Dalglish » Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:39 am

A.B. wrote:
Dalglish wrote:ohhhhh I read the WHOLE post and realised your talking about AB :D

It still makes no sense to me because I've said that I don't care whether we play good entertaining football or not as long as we win.

You have to see the BIGGER picture sometimes AB. This is RB's first season and he has done really well to take a Liverpool side who were unerperforming and not entertaining whilst doing it.

I liked Houllier and I've always defended him particularly when people in here fire cheap shots at him. I defended him because he served Liverpool FC the best he could but ultimately that wasn't good enough and it was time for a change.

Benitez has come in and tramsfornmed the way we play. he's done that despite losing key players throughout the season so far, the latest being Alonso.

Depite having little experienced forwards we are the 3rd highest scoring team in the prem and the defence is better than it was last season although there is room for improvement.

Fans may well say they prefer to "win ugly" but i prefer to be entertained and win , call me greedy but I believe thats possible, look at Arsenal 

:D
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion