Player suggestions for next season - Time to look forward

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby tubby » Mon May 03, 2010 12:55 pm

Ok so I thought one way to life the doom and gloom would be to look to next season and discuss what players you all think would be suitable for us. Now I know we don't even know our budget yet for next season but Martin Broughton has said there will be money available in the summer so presumably there will be a kitty plus whatever we rake in from player sales.

First off we need another striker. Torres is injury prone and we need someone to share that burden.

With Rafa due to meet Martin Broughton this week I would imagine if he was staying then he will want to get as much done as possible before the world cup so now is really the time we need to be in the market.

I heard we were linked with Mauro Zarate. With Lazio hovering above the relegation zone and with him not having the best of seasons I think we could potentially get him for cheap. I know he didn't do too well at Birmingham but I really think he is a world class talant and could do well for us. He's got some fire in him too. He sat with the ultras for a game whilst he was serving a 2 match ban.  :D I think he would love a return to the premiership and link up with his Argie mate Mascherano.

And now for the famous youtube clip!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5bOaC5V_gs
Last edited by tubby on Mon May 03, 2010 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ben Patrick » Mon May 03, 2010 1:12 pm

We are desperate for a striker thats without question.
Actually we could do with two.
Zarate looked a decent player when he was on loan but i havent got a clue what he has been like at Lazio.
Some might scoff at this but i would try and get Bellamy back. There are loads of rumours that he is on his way out and he is a good player. Yes i know he is hard to manage but he is still a top player and would improve us without a doubt.
We definately missed a trick not getting Adam Johnson as well. That's a position we have been weak in for a number of years and he didnt go for massive money.
Van der Vaart is one that has been mentioned and if the fee wasnt stupid i would seriously look at him.
Top player and versatile as well.

Not forgetting the left back position. That seriously needs addressing. That's a tough one to be honest, there are not many knocking about that i can think of. I know we have been linked with the Marseille las Taiwo, not got a clue what he is like though.
Drenthe at Real could be gettable though and would be a on a different level to Insua.
Midfield i would keep Lucas, i just wouldnt start him. He would be my back up. Move Stevie back to where he belongs and get Van Der Vaart in the hole behind Torres and someone else as a back up with Kuyt on the bench and Maxi starting on the right.
Sell Riera if the bridges are well and truly burnt - but we have to bring in someone similar. A winger that is actually a winger. None of these converted midfielders that can do a job out wide.
An actual wide player. I like Riera and think he could still do a job, but would understand if what he has done and said means he needs to go.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby tubby » Mon May 03, 2010 1:28 pm

I think Zarate scored something like 16 goals last season, has only got 3 this season though.

On Bellamy I think he is 1 big injury away from quitting mate. I remember reading an interview last season where he was talking about how pleased he was with his game at the time and he went onto to say he is enjoying life at the moment but he thinks one more bad knee injury and it could be it for him. On that basis id probably give him a miss.

Van der vaart is an option too but as you say depends on the price.

We have also been linked with that Simon Kjær. Some are saying he has a 10Mil buy out clause and im sure he would love to link up with Agger. With the world cup looming we need to get our budget confirmed and things moving otherwise we risk missing out due to inflated prices ect...More money needs to be made avaialble for wages too. If we want to get top players we need to be competing with wages too, that's the prime reason we missed out on Tevez and Gareth Barry.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby juljuve » Mon May 03, 2010 1:36 pm

Zarate cheap? Lotito spent a lot of money to buy him from Al-Sadd... And Lazio chairman will ask for him at least 20 mil.
Anyway, in my opinion Zarate isn't a good choice. He is a very talented player, but more similar to Ryan Babel. He plays wide, goes back to search the ball, never tries to go deep with no ball.

I suggest some players: Former Barcelona Maxi Lopez is a great forward, he's a complete striker and not so expensive, Lech Poznan Lewandowski is a good striker, Steven Fletcher from relegated Burnley,...
Juventus and Liverpool amici
juljuve

Postby account deleted by request » Mon May 03, 2010 1:36 pm

Purslow was offered Van der Vaart and a striker by R.Madrid recently for around £6million according to reports so there's a start. (I am presuming the striker will be Van Nistelrooy?) We need a good left back and supposedly Bridge is leaving Citeh so I think we could get him for around £5 million or so. CB I wouldn't look any further than Kjaer he has a 10million euro buy out clause and would be a bargain. We desperately need more up front and I would be looking to Tevez to provide it. He would be an excellent foil for Torres and could even play upfront if required on occasion. I would like a good versatile fast tricky winger to complete my selection, but unfortunately my funds ran dry before I got to Messi.   

Reina

Johnson             Kjaer              Agger             Bridge

Benny/ Jovanovic  Gerrard          Masch           Van der Vaart

Tevez
                               Torres

Players I think should or could be shown the door :- Babel, Skrtel, Cavelieri, Riera, Aurelio, Kuyt, Degan, possibly N'gog

Carra will become a versatile squad player as will Lucas, Aquilani and Jovanovic

cost £50million gross - £15/20million net.
Last edited by account deleted by request on Mon May 03, 2010 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
account deleted by request

Postby tubby » Mon May 03, 2010 1:41 pm

Saint VDV + RVN for 6Mil? That would be a good deal but id still be inclined to get another younger striker too as we don't know how long RVN canlast for generally. Plus if Jovanovich comes..... Also if it's true Purslow was there dicussing players without Rafas consent then they must be planning on paying him off.

But in the event Rafa stays, of that list I think he will keep Kuyt and NGog. Kuyt is his favourate and im not sure how much we can expect to fetch for NGog. Might be worth sending him out on loan somewhere to up his value.
Last edited by tubby on Mon May 03, 2010 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Mon May 03, 2010 1:43 pm

I just dont know where we´ll get the cash from lads. Players are always more expensive in a world cup season and the lads we want to sell are hardly top drawer.

I´d love Tevez to come over S@int but why d´you think Citech will sell him? and why wouldnt he go to one of the big European teams rather than come to a wek LFC? surely they can pay more wages than we can etc..?
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Mon May 03, 2010 1:45 pm

What's he on at City like 150k? I don't think even Stevie or Torres get that at the moment.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby juljuve » Mon May 03, 2010 1:48 pm

Zamparini won't sell Kjaer for less than 15 mil.
I prefer Leonardo Bonucci in that position.
Juventus and Liverpool amici
juljuve

Postby tubby » Mon May 03, 2010 1:51 pm

juljuve wrote:Zamparini won't sell Kjaer for less than 15 mil.
I prefer Leonardo Bonucci in that position.

I thought the buy out clause was 10Mil?

Anyway a strong CB is a must. He is a bit young but Kryriakos Papadopulous is a decent young player. I think hes only 20 but he has the makings. I think he has played for the national team too a few times. We could get him for under 5mil.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Mon May 03, 2010 1:55 pm

We will have Jovanovic Bav, plus Nemeth as the youngster if N'gog goes. Sadly if Rafa stays I don't believe we will see talent like these Bav. Van der Vaart is not famous for his work rate ..... although on the bright side Tevez has talent and is very hardworking.   

Tevez has been told he can go Reg, and the prospect of partnering Torres might just interest him. I think wages would be the big stumbling block but I am willing to pay a little bit extra to get the right man.  I think we would need to promise him CL football or an easy exit next season though to seal the deal.

Postby lakes10 » Mon May 03, 2010 1:55 pm

striker is a must and at all costs.
by this i mean even if we have to sell 5 younger players to get one good striker.

a name that come to mind right now that are low cost are Nicky Maynard from Bristol City, could be a great buy and will cost around 4 to 5 mil
Last edited by lakes10 on Mon May 03, 2010 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Mon May 03, 2010 1:58 pm

s@int wrote:Purslow was offered Van der Vaart and a striker by R.Madrid recently for around £6million according to reports so there's a start. (I am presuming the striker will be Van Nistelrooy?) We need a good left back and supposedly Bridge is leaving Citeh so I think we could get him for around £5 million or so. CB I wouldn't look any further than Kjaer he has a 10million euro buy out clause and would be a bargain. We desperately need more up front and I would be looking to Tevez to provide it. He would be an excellent foil for Torres and could even play upfront if required on occasion. I would like a good versatile fast tricky winger to complete my selection, but unfortunately my funds ran dry before I got to Messi.   

Reina

Tevez
                               Torres

Players I think should or could be shown the door :- Babel, Skrtel, Cavelieri, Riera, Aurelio, Kuyt, Degan, possibly N'gog

Carra will become a versatile squad player as will Lucas, Aquilani and Jovanovic

Like your thinking there saint, nice looking team..........i would say the only problem is that the age of some of the players would mean its only short time thing.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Mon May 03, 2010 2:01 pm

Reg wrote:I just dont know where we´ll get the cash from lads. Players are always more expensive in a world cup season and the lads we want to sell are hardly top drawer.

I´d love Tevez to come over S@int but why d´you think Citech will sell him? and why wouldnt he go to one of the big European teams rather than come to a wek LFC? surely they can pay more wages than we can etc..?

why look overseas mate, there are some great young english players about right now and they dont cost too much as all the big named club are also only looking overseas,
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Mon May 03, 2010 2:01 pm

lakes10 wrote:
s@int wrote:Purslow was offered Van der Vaart and a striker by R.Madrid recently for around £6million according to reports so there's a start. (I am presuming the striker will be Van Nistelrooy?) We need a good left back and supposedly Bridge is leaving Citeh so I think we could get him for around £5 million or so. CB I wouldn't look any further than Kjaer he has a 10million euro buy out clause and would be a bargain. We desperately need more up front and I would be looking to Tevez to provide it. He would be an excellent foil for Torres and could even play upfront if required on occasion. I would like a good versatile fast tricky winger to complete my selection, but unfortunately my funds ran dry before I got to Messi.   

Reina

Tevez
                               Torres

Like your thinking there saint, nice looking team..........i would say the only problem is that the age of some of the players would mean its only short time thing.

Just killing time with a decent team till the investment comes in mate...... then we will see young world class players mate  :D

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion