Player suggestions for next season - Time to look forward

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby sparkycc » Thu May 13, 2010 11:14 am

it seems they are in a bit of a mess and might be having a fire sale this year, so we could snap him up for half his real value.
sparkycc

Postby LFC ANIME » Thu May 13, 2010 11:17 am

They say his contract release clause is £8.5..... Benega playing alongside Masch will increase his international reputation and form a partnership for both sides in the future. I don't think he's in the provisional 30.
LFC ANIME

Postby damjan193 » Thu May 13, 2010 1:36 pm

Ever is just another hard working player, the kind that Rafa likes.He's not a bad passer and does good in defence but he's an average player and to tell you the truth I'd rather play Aquilani.If you havent seen this kid play, just see Mascherano and you'll know what kind of player Banega is. Not too keen on him but I'd always play him rather than Lucas.Plus, for 8.5 mil?I said that I'm not too keen on him but he's worth at least 10 mil.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby kawaton » Thu May 13, 2010 6:55 pm

Redman in wales wrote:
anti-hero wrote:well i dont know how the nightlife in valencia compares with that of liverpool  :D  but like what you guys said before, that was very interesting. not trying to draw any comparisons now, but after reading this article the fleeting thought of 'what if jermaine pennant' did that came into my head. and then i laughed.

skill wise, stats dont lie. i havent checked into the ones that were referenced in the article, but any player that completes more passes and dribbles than any of his teammates in a valencia team that can boast the wealth of villa, silva, mata, and joaquin in the starting lineup is one that we could definitely use in our squad.

somebody text mascherano to persuade him to come over.

It's interesting that you bring up jermaine pennant in the same post as saying the stats dont lie.

The season before we bought pennant he made more successful crosses than any other player in the league - yes he was only playing for birmingham, but the stats said he made more sucessful crosses than utd's, arsenal's and chelsea's wingers.

If i remember correctly the Pennant stat was that he made the most crosses. Not made the most successful crosses. Successful being the key word.

I go to watch BLues quite often and i remember having a conversation at the time with my Blues mates, he always got slated by them because sure he puts in loads of crosses, they just fly way to high over the box.

He did the same when he joined us.
Last edited by kawaton on Thu May 13, 2010 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kawaton

Postby anti-hero » Fri May 14, 2010 12:08 am

Redman in wales wrote:
anti-hero wrote:well i dont know how the nightlife in valencia compares with that of liverpool  :D  but like what you guys said before, that was very interesting. not trying to draw any comparisons now, but after reading this article the fleeting thought of 'what if jermaine pennant' did that came into my head. and then i laughed.

skill wise, stats dont lie. i havent checked into the ones that were referenced in the article, but any player that completes more passes and dribbles than any of his teammates in a valencia team that can boast the wealth of villa, silva, mata, and joaquin in the starting lineup is one that we could definitely use in our squad.

somebody text mascherano to persuade him to come over.

It's interesting that you bring up jermaine pennant in the same post as saying the stats dont lie.

The season before we bought pennant he made more successful crosses than any other player in the league - yes he was only playing for birmingham, but the stats said he made more sucessful crosses than utd's, arsenal's and chelsea's wingers.

fair point. but its all speculation for now anyways.

we dont know whats going to happen in the future.
Last edited by anti-hero on Fri May 14, 2010 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
anti-hero
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Sat May 15, 2010 8:38 am

kawaton wrote:If i remember correctly the Pennant stat was that he made the most crosses. Not made the most successful crosses. Successful being the key word.

A number of stats are in their own right fairly meaningless

Possession - you could have 95% of possession but it's what you do with it that matters. If you do nothing with 95% possession and your opponents score with just 5% of possession then that stat hasn't been made to count

Crosses - inaccurate or accurate crosses, it's what is done with it. A dangerous cross is all well and good, you need goals from it and while assists might not tell a whole story as a good cross can cause panic and lead to a goal, perhaps a cross that does lead directly to a goal should be given an "assist cross" or some such value. Perhaps have a "telling goal contribution" stat, for example if a telling through ball from Agger sets Torres through on goal and he pulls it back for Kuyt to shin it in then the through ball made the goal but Torres gets the assist. Give Agger a "telling goal contribution"

Passes - accuracy is measured, but doesn't tell what kind of pass it was. It can simply be a completed pass backwards or to a full-back or five yards putting a team-mate in trouble.

Point being a lot of stats tell you next to nothing because quantitative stats in football are good only for things like goals, assists, clean sheets, goals for and against, wins, losses etc.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby brentd4 » Sat May 15, 2010 9:01 am

LittleHobo wrote:
brentd4 wrote:.                         reina

johnson         carra        dawson *        agger             

masch

v.d.vaart *                                       j. cole *

gerrard      aquilani

torres         

cavalieri
skrtel
g. cahill *
babel
benayoun
kuyt
zarate *

that one there is slightly more realistic than most

id like the turkish ryan giggs though who we are linked with though? he will become top quality

this is the team i picked, but thinkin realistically bout it dawson would never wanna come to us now with him playin so well and spurs playin champs league football. but if we could sign kjaer id b happy with that instead. also think we could make an outstandin challenge and could achieve these signings without to much hassle
brentd4

Postby brentd4 » Sat May 15, 2010 9:23 am

any1 think (jose goncalves) from hearts, would b worth takin on a free transfer or really cheap. he plays at left back and may b a decent squad player. il probly get slated, but whats ur views on him.
brentd4

Postby kawaton » Sat May 15, 2010 4:26 pm

Owzat wrote:
kawaton wrote:If i remember correctly the Pennant stat was that he made the most crosses. Not made the most successful crosses. Successful being the key word.

A number of stats are in their own right fairly meaningless

Possession - you could have 95% of possession but it's what you do with it that matters. If you do nothing with 95% possession and your opponents score with just 5% of possession then that stat hasn't been made to count

Crosses - inaccurate or accurate crosses, it's what is done with it. A dangerous cross is all well and good, you need goals from it and while assists might not tell a whole story as a good cross can cause panic and lead to a goal, perhaps a cross that does lead directly to a goal should be given an "assist cross" or some such value. Perhaps have a "telling goal contribution" stat, for example if a telling through ball from Agger sets Torres through on goal and he pulls it back for Kuyt to shin it in then the through ball made the goal but Torres gets the assist. Give Agger a "telling goal contribution"

Passes - accuracy is measured, but doesn't tell what kind of pass it was. It can simply be a completed pass backwards or to a full-back or five yards putting a team-mate in trouble.

Point being a lot of stats tell you next to nothing because quantitative stats in football are good only for things like goals, assists, clean sheets, goals for and against, wins, losses etc.

That's exactly the point i was trying to make.
Just with far less words.. :laugh:
kawaton

Postby LFC2007 » Sat May 15, 2010 6:36 pm

Owzat wrote:Point being a lot of stats tell you next to nothing...

Run that by me again?  :laugh:
LFC2007

Postby psycllone » Sat May 15, 2010 11:15 pm

how abt some of the pompey players?? (dindane??) he looked pretty gud today...and considering the fact that thier whole team might be up for sale, why not steal some avg players for back up??
psycllone

Postby ruskiy playmaker » Sun May 16, 2010 12:06 am

Pepe
Johnson,Agger,Skrtel,Kolarov
              Masch
Maxi                      Silva/Turan/Ben Arfa
        Gerrard        Aquilani
              Torres

that would be my team next season.
[img]http://i42.tinypic.com/lkw42.gif[img]
ruskiy playmaker

Postby Owzat » Sun May 16, 2010 6:30 am

psycllone wrote:how abt some of the pompey players?? (dindane??) he looked pretty gud today...and considering the fact that thier whole team might be up for sale, why not steal some avg players for back up??

Isn't Dindane the loanee that his club wanted a big payout for to play in the cup final? He belongs to RC Lens, last players I believe we bought from RC Lens were Smicer and Diouf

Wouldn't mind O'Hara, but he isn't pompey's either. T'would really be scraping the barrel to buy too much from a relegated club, best players have gone already and we didn't make most of that (Defoe, Kranjcar etc), instead paying over the odds for Johnson
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sun May 16, 2010 10:52 pm

I would love Liverpool to bid for James McCarthy ,I could really see him playing for us, he is a unique talent who would give us a genuinely  inventive playmaker ,extremely comfortable on the ball and links the midfield with the attack ...
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Sun May 16, 2010 11:14 pm

I must confess I'm intrigued by this apparantly popular idea that Carragher will no longer be our first-choice CB.

It's truly bizarre, given the fact that the much-lauded Capello has coaxed him out of Internation retirement for the World Cup!

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion