Pennant - Will he make the grade?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Sabre » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:24 pm

(new word for Sabre's english  dictionary hyperbole (heye-pur-buh-lee)

An exaggerated, extravagant expression. It is hyperbole to say, “I'd give my whole fortune for a bowl of bean soup or Jermaine Pennant  should be considered as one of the best wingers in Europe "

it turns out to happen that hyperbole is a word that comes from latin, so it's not strange for me at all.

Well, I admit the joke. But then, I know Joaquin and Navas, if someone thinks that Pennant is much worse than Joaquin and would be ready to pay lots of money for Joaquin, then he's wrong. Hyperbole or not. :)
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby puroresu » Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:30 pm

Pennant is average.  Yeah he looked decent in a rubbish Birmingham side but who wouldnt.  Is it any surprise Arsenal got rid of him?

His skill level is low, his not very quick and his crossing is average.  £7 million for that.  Now thats a waste.

I dont think I have seen him beat anyone with a piece of trickery.  He isnt good enough for Liverpool.
puroresu

Postby stmichael » Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:30 pm

The_Rock wrote:i actually thought that pennant was our best player in midfield against eversh1t...  ???

he created nothing despite having acres of space, loads of the ball and playing against a centre half.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby puroresu » Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:33 pm

stmichael wrote:
The_Rock wrote:i actually thought that pennant was our best player in midfield against eversh1t...  ???

he created nothing despite having acres of space, loads of the ball and playing against a centre half.

Pennant has been so bad this season that whenever he has a half decent game people view it as a positive.
puroresu

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:39 pm

Pennant is a decent winger who is suitable for a midtable side (Spurs etc) but not good enough for a team that is challenging ,or hopes to be challenging for European glory and the League. Rafa was forced to lower his sights and made the best buy he could, in the hope that Pennan could raise his level, unfortunately this hasn't happened. I have no doubt once Macherano and Momo are available Pennant will be on the bench more than the pitch(especially if Kewell gets fit).

Gone at the end of the season and a new right winger brought in.
account deleted by request

Postby puroresu » Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:45 pm

s@int wrote:Pennant is a decent winger who is suitable for a midtable side (Spurs etc) but not good enough for a team that is challenging ,or hopes to be challenging for European glory and the League. Rafa was forced to lower his sights and made the best buy he could, in the hope that Pennan could raise his level, unfortunately this hasn't happened. I have no doubt once Macherano and Momo are available Pennant will be on the bench more than the pitch(especially if Kewell gets fit).

Gone at the end of the season and a new right winger brought in.

I think it was a bit of a panic buy to be honest.  We really needed a RW and ended up paying over the odds for Pennant.
puroresu

Postby Sabre » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:17 pm

We really needed a RW and ended up paying over the odds for Pennant.

Such as? what RW would you sign up? at what price?

And can you explain me why Harry Kewell IS good enough for Liverpool apart from being much more selfish than Pennant?

Perhaps it's that the level of right wingers I'm seeing as of late in the Spanish league is not too high. Perhaps I was overrating Pennant before, but I do think some serious underrating is going on in this thread when talking about Pennant.

Especially when I remember threads like the Joaquin last year, or people talk about men like Torres, as if they were fúcking magic.
Last edited by Sabre on Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:28 pm

Is it the price why people are giving him such a hard time though because that's not his fault? 7 million for a young Enlgish player doesn't seem too much to me, especially as 25% of the fee went to Arsenal.

I think players have been simply giving the ball to Pennant at times and expecting him to do something outstanding. He is not that type of player, he likes having support and runners for his one / two touch game. Kuyt gave him support against Bolton, we scored two nice goals and he was arguably the best player on the field.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby puroresu » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:29 pm

Sabre wrote:
We really needed a RW and ended up paying over the odds for Pennant.

Such as? what RW would you sign up? at what price?

And can you explain me why Harry Kewell IS good enough for Liverpool apart from being much more selfish than Pennant?

Perhaps it's that the level of right wingers I'm seeing as of late in the Spanish league is not too high. Perhaps I was overrating Pennant before, but I do think some serious underrating is going on in this thread when talking about Pennant.

Especially when I remember threads like the Joaquin last year, or people talk about men like Torres, as if they were fúcking magic.

Agreed Kewell has not been great at Liverpool either. 

Tomas Rosicky can play RW and he cost £7.5 mil.  I would of preferred someone like Nasri who plays at Marseille.
puroresu

Postby welsh wizzard » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:58 pm

Got to agree pennant is a very average right winger!! (FACT)
Once Rafa has a big transfer budget at his dispossal I feel a world class right winger will be brought in. That will be the summer, then as for Pennant i feel he wil be offloaded. He just isn't good enough for "LIVERPOOL."

Look at players out there.
Joaquin is a quality winger and has pace to beat a player.
Lennon is a quality winger and has pace to beat a player.
Nevas is the same.

Since Steve Mcmanaman, we have never had a winger that could take people on with his pace, So come the summer i feel we will ave 2 quality wingers on both flanks Yes they will cost big fees but you pay for what you get!!

Ronaldo of Manutd is a prime example, he is in a different class. Also we had a chance of getting him over Manutd. Lost out there big time.

So all you Pennant fans out there take your blinkers off and realise He didn't cut it at Arsenal, only  stood out in a very average Birmingham side, and will never make it in a Liverpool side that is about to move to another level. Yes it could have been a panic buy.

But the bottom line is Pennant is only good enough for a small team.   

"NEVERTON IS JUST UP HIS STREET"
welsh wizzard
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:02 pm

Joaquin is a quality winger and has pace to beat a player

Joaquin beats player by footwork and dribling. Not pace.

Gonzalez is way faster than McManaman.

I don't know Rosicky very well, to be honest.
Last edited by Sabre on Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:11 pm

My view on Pennant is dictated by the bare minimum I expect from any Liverpool player: plums. People slag Djimi Traore to f#ck, but I tell you what, he had more character than Pennant. Also, regardless of the role I expected Pennant to have this season, he has been starting a lot of games and should therefore be judged on the merits of his performances. There isn't some get-out clause just because he might be surplanted by Gerrard at some point.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:33 pm

For me Pennant has been exactly how I expected him to be, an average player playing in a good team.

For all these people saying he has all the ability but none of the desire and brains to make him a top player are talking rubbish. He just isn’t that good, he is not a youngster, he is 24 and has played plenty of first team Premiership football. He tries, and that is why I never come on this board and slate him on personal level like many others but he just isn’t good enough to play at this level in my opinion.

Lets just face it, Rafa settled for a player that ultimately will provide another option and nothing else, we didn’t have an extra 5 Mil to pursue our top target to so over paid on a lesser target.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion