Owen may quit madrid

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ciggy » Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:42 am

Sorry to start another Owen thread, but if he does quit will Benitez take him back?

MICHAEL OWEN admits he might have to quit Real Madrid if he continues to be left on the bench.

The England striker has started just ONE game — in which he was substituted — has NOT scored and has FAILED to play a single minute in the Champions League.

He is desperate to be a hit at the Bernabeu following his £8million move from Liverpool.

But just two months into his career in Spain, Owen insists he will have no choice but to reconsider his future if he fails to land a starting spot.

And that could trigger a premature end to his stay at the Spanish giants.

Owen, 24, said: “Obviously, I don’t want to continue not playing games. I don’t have a crystal ball and I don’t know when I’ll play.

“I live with it. I’m the person who goes to sleep thinking about things all the time.

“I’d be a bit worried if it continued right the way through the season and then I’d have to ask questions about myself.”

Owen admits it is inevitable his form will suffer the longer he remains in the shadows at Real.

And that could ultimately cost him his England place with Wayne Rooney and Jermain Defoe threatening to leave boss Sven Goran Eriksson with no choice but to drop Owen.

He added: “It’s only the start of the season. At the moment I am happy and I’m sure I’ll play a bit more.

“I agree that it’s difficult to not play and then be called upon for one game or 10 minutes.

“If it continued, then it might be a bit more difficult and I might have a few more problems. But I hope we don’t have to cross that bridge.”

But the striker made it clear he is prepared to wait for his chance as he tries to break up the first-choice partnership of Raul and Ronaldo.

He said: “I’m not looking at anyone for favours — it’s in my own hands. Sometimes in life you’ve got to be patient and I never signed for this club thinking I was going to be in the starting line-up from the start.

“We are only a few games into the season and there’s a long way to go and a lot of time left for me to play well and state my case.

“Every time I’ve played I’ve been reasonably happy with my performances.

“Unfortunately, I haven’t had many chances lately but that’s football and I’m sure I’ll get a chance in the coming weeks. Then it’s down to me.”

Owen could find out exactly where he figures in new boss Garcia Remon’s plans against Deportivo La Coruna on Sunday night as Ronaldo is struggling with a thigh strain.

If Remon picks Fernando Morientes or Guti ahead of Owen, then it may not be long before his frustration is stretched to breaking point.

But Owen insists he has the mental strength to come through the crisis threatening to sabotage his career.

He said: “I still know that it will all work out for me. I’ve enjoyed my time so far, even if it’s a tough period.

“But I’ve no doubt I’ll come through. I’ve been through tougher periods in my career and I’ve come through it.”

But Owen confesses he is finding it hard to adjust to being just another player at Real.

Owen was the undisputed king of the Kop during his Liverpool career as he hit 158 goals in 297 games.

But the likes of Zinedine Zidane, Ronaldo, Luis Figo, David Beckham and No 1 fan-favourite Raul all command greater status at the Bernabeu.

Owen said: “At Liverpool, I was first choice, played every week and what Raul is to the Real Madrid supporters I was to the Liverpool supporters.”

But Owen admits he is desperate to move into his own home in Madrid after two months in a hotel.

He added: “I’m still trying to nail down a house which is very important. That’s the only difficult part — finding a house and living in a hotel with a young child, it’s not easy.”
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Fri Oct 01, 2004 7:25 am

mmm Looking all a bit disasterous.. for the golden boy.. too many golden boys too compete with. Most of us on here did predict that he would be a regular.. on the bench !

Lets see what happens... would take him back but only on les then what we sold hime for £4m
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kindaconfused » Fri Oct 01, 2004 7:46 am

For me Owen has such a unique and limited talent(explanantion below) its difficult for teams to play with him and provide the right balls for him to work with.

There is no way RM and the other galaticos are gonna alter their style too much to accomodate so I believe it aint gonna work for him.

MO for me his talent is fast turning and speed over the first 30m and seeing possible long balls that catch the defence, and poaching on rebounds. Of course he has other talents but these are his trade marks. I bet he had  Hesky right now to play with.

I dont think he will go of his own accord he's he would have to be pushed and they would lose money but then they didnt pay too much!
Bribery in football helps oil the wheels, the managers take it and the fans pay for it!
Kindaconfuzed and Biffa are not allowed to post.
Biffa is me mate!
Free Dom in the Forum
kindaconfused
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby akumaface » Fri Oct 01, 2004 7:57 am

I think Owen was too naive to believe he would be a regular on Madrid. He should have expected what he is getting right now. He is not good enough to start there and not as influential as Raul. That means he will continue to sit on the bench. I guess in his case, thing seems better from afar.

Does anyone knows how the first right of refusal works? I mean could Madrid simply tag Owen for trillions of dollars and change the transfer fees to peanuts and sell him to other club after our refusal?
akumaface
LFC Super Member

Postby Paul C » Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:37 am

Now he knows how Baros has felt for 2 seasons :;): :D
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:39 am

Paul C wrote:Now he knows how Baros has felt for 2 seasons :;): :D

:D
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anfieldadorer » Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:30 am

If he leaves Madrid, I Feel like not wanting to see him in other EPL club; other league or Liverpool.
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jim_morrison_supported_liverpool » Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:46 am

TOO F****** RIGHT!!!!!!
its not the chilli sauce on kebabs that give you ring-sting, its the actual meat. had one without chilli, and still had ring-sting. the chilli's only there to mask the nonsense they stuff inside that bread.
jim_morrison_supported_liverpool
LFC Super Member

Postby XSD » Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:10 am

He'll probably end up in Italy.
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Santa » Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:24 am

jim_morrison_supported_liverpool wrote:

TOO F****** RIGHT!!!!!!

I'll second that ...fra@king right!!!

“At Liverpool, I was first choice, played every week and what Raul is to the Real Madrid supporters I was to the Liverpool supporters.”

Sounded a bit regretful from the tone of it ...  :D
You took your pick, now stick with it !!!
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Santa » Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:25 am

XSD wrote:He'll probably end up in Italy.

with Italian style of man-marking, he won't last 2 months!
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:31 am

Bizarre that it might cost him his England place after receiving advice from the England coach to go there  :angry:
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:52 am

taff wrote:Bizarre that it might cost him his England place after receiving advice from the England coach to go there  :angry:

how very ironic
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Fri Oct 01, 2004 12:57 pm

XSD, if Owen can't score in Spain, it is worse in ultra defensive Italy. Over there, the teams are so defensive that whenever they play each other in Euro games, the difference will be either a penalty shoot-out or away goals. Only strikers with really good techniques and good ball skills can excel there. I don't think Owen is that sort of player although he can be prolific with his good predatory instincts but he is not technically as good as say Schevchenko.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby glambertino » Fri Oct 01, 2004 1:31 pm

Aye, it's looking grim for Owen.  I live in Spain and no one even talks about him...... and now that Raul has pulled his finger out of his culo Owen's going to have an even less of a look in. 

I'd agree that it's definitely not going to do his England place any good either.

Couldn't stand him at another team.  Sometimes I feel sorry for my mate who's a Leeds fan and having to bear Smith in a manure shirt.  He hates them as much as me.
glambertino

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion