Our defence - My opinion

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby leoliv » Sun May 09, 2004 11:00 am

everybody's (newspapers,people) been complaining that h and h are getting slow and conceding goals etc.

what amazes me is that after the arsenl game, we have only conceded 1 goal in 5 matches. biscan had a shocker in that arsenal game which i think has virtually ended his liverpool career. GH then brought in henchoz the next game and.................1 goal in 5 games.

Yes they are old, but they are still performing.

What do u think ?
leoliv

Postby The_Rock » Sun May 09, 2004 11:27 am

i also like the look of C & H (ie carragher & hyppia). Eventually should give this role full-time to Carra.....
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sparky » Sun May 09, 2004 11:28 am

I go along with a lot of people in saying that we do need a quick centre half/sweeper to play alongside big sami, although i thought that jamie played exceptionally yesterday in the heart of it, and i always thought he would mature into a good centre back, pace is needed in the backj line though so i would certainly sign someone with that commodity, ie gallas/mexes, i certainly would notsell big sami mind as he is still a great performer and will die for the shirt plus he wins i would say wins around 90 percent of the headers he goes for!! But maybe jamie can go on to be a top class centre back for the club with the right person alongside him, what do you think!!
"My Idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility"

"To build Liverpool up and up, untill eventually everyone would have to submit!!!"
Sparky

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sun May 09, 2004 11:41 am

Carragher is a right back who is versitile enough to do an excellent job in the centre.

However, he defends like a full back and against the best strikers in the world that will cost you. He doesn't get tight enough to the forwards, yesterday Mikael Forssell went past him and swung a cross in in the second half and in the first when he went on a run into the box Jamie was backing off before he eventually made the tackle.

Backing of and tackling like that is fantasic. ON THE WING!!! Not in the centre. The prime example of what experienced quality strikers will do if you do that lies in Hasslebaink at the start of the season, give him half a yard and you conceed.

I'd play him there for now as i think he's the best option even ahead of Henchoz but i do think that position needs to be improved upon.
115-1073096938

Postby leoliv » Sun May 09, 2004 12:40 pm

i remember a few years ago before henchoz, JC was with SH, and then GH put henchoz in and did well with SH. JC i think is already a good full back, who should be used as back up for the SH's like yesterday and back up as a defensive midfielder for hamann. Maybe he could take up that role once hamann leaves, to leave SG to do what he does best  ???
leoliv

Postby The_Rock » Sun May 09, 2004 1:40 pm

leoliv wrote:i remember a few years ago before henchoz, JC was with SH, and then GH put henchoz in and did well with SH. JC i think is already a good full back, who should be used as back up for the SH's like yesterday and back up as a defensive midfielder for hamann. Maybe he could take up that role once hamann leaves, to leave SG to do what he does best  ???

As long as we have superman Gerrard, we don't need another defensive midfielder. We need a creative midfielder to partner him. This way a lot of pressure will be taken off him.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Sun May 09, 2004 1:45 pm

it is quite scary to think that people talk about gerrard as being a defensive midfielder when you see the kind of attacking display he produced yesterday. his game is just so well rounded.

unfortunately he will never be able to fulfill his entire potential for england as he ends up playing on the left of a diamond four in midfield.

i agree that our defence (coincidentally) has looked very good since biscan has been dropped. carragher has looked top draw alongside sami. however a win against the toon should guarantee mexes for next year (the player has said this himself), and this would be a great acquisition imo.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sun May 09, 2004 2:59 pm

i remember a few years ago before henchoz, JC was with SH, and then GH put henchoz in and did well with SH. JC i think is already a good full back, who should be used as back up for the SH's like yesterday and back up as a defensive midfielder for hamann. Maybe he could take up that role once hamann leaves, to leave SG to do what he does best 

Gerrard is a defensive midfielder. For gods sake we need a creative midfielder in there with him not another ball winner.

it is quite scary to think that people talk about gerrard as being a defensive midfielder when you see the kind of attacking display he produced yesterday. his game is just so well rounded.

unfortunately he will never be able to fulfill his entire potential for england as he ends up playing on the left of a diamond four in midfield.

i agree that our defence (coincidentally) has looked very good since biscan has been dropped. carragher has looked top draw alongside sami. however a win against the toon should guarantee mexes for next year (the player has said this himself), and this would be a great acquisition imo.

Gerrard is a defensive midfielder. His passing, vision, link up play and technique aren't the best things about him. His tackling, aggression, athletisism, strength, work rate and commitment are.
115-1073096938

Postby JohnBull » Sun May 09, 2004 3:22 pm

If yesterdays team had been put out at Highbury I honestly believe we would have won.
It's just taken Houllier two and a half years to realise that homegrown triers will always be better than overseas BSers.
He should sign NO ONE and bring the youngsters through.
Has anyone heard of Heighway lately???  They're out there somewhere!!!!
JohnBull
JohnBull
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Sun May 09, 2004 3:33 pm

i agree that the youngsters should be brought through. richie partridge has just signed a new contract after being on loan at coventry for the season. he naturally plays wide right, which has been a problem position for us. why has he never been given any first team experience?

i also remember houllier saying at the start of the season that he expected john welsh to play about 15 times for the first team this season in some capacity. so much for that prediction. i think he made one sub appearance in europe.

i sometimes wander if heighway has fallen out with houllier in some capacity. ???
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sun May 09, 2004 4:11 pm

Highway has fallen out with Houllier.

Welsh come on as a sub against Arsenal.

And if you think Partridge is the answer you need your head testing.

He's also been injured all season.
115-1073096938

Postby JBG » Mon May 10, 2004 9:36 pm

Patridge has been offered a contract extension for next season but there's no way we'll see him in the first team. I think it was a "sympathy" contract after his injury.

I have been disappointed that we haven't seen more of John Welsh and if Houllier goes on to sign Joey Barton then I very much doubt we'll ever see Welsh in the first team.

There were rumours that Steve Heighway and Houllier had a falling out over the decision of a few months ago not to offer contracts to many young players.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby oldredeyes » Mon May 10, 2004 10:02 pm

Three of the best players against Birmingham were Jamie C, Micheal O and Stevie G who all came through as youngsters on Liverpools books.
Although it was a much better team performance on saturday, I still wonder what on earth has been going on within the club this season.
Why have the supporter been led to despair and frustration.
I think there are some important issues that have not been discussed openly by the club.
The other thing of note of course is that there were no French players in the line up on Saturday.
If we have to keep GH on for another year, I sincerely hope he has learnt some very big lessons from this awful(except for the past three games) season.
Houdini, apparently, still lives.
oldredeyes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby long sleeved joe » Mon May 10, 2004 10:20 pm

Carragher is such a natural defender that i'm sure he could become a class centre back.  i've been surprised that he hasn't played there ahead of Biscan for most of the season.  He's developed a lot in recent years and is a different player to when he partnered players like Babb and Kvarme- what an introduction to life in the premiership.
"If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden i'd draw the curtains" Bill Shankly
long sleeved joe

Postby Redtribe » Tue May 11, 2004 9:53 am

Carra is a full backi in my opinion but can cover across the line!

And i think that is exactly how we should use him!

A new partner is needed for Sami and as i have said before someone like Mexes is ideal!
Redtribe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion