Benetiz - My opinion

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby JohnBull » Sat Jun 19, 2004 4:44 pm

No one died from a punch but a lot of people got killed by substandard brickwork which would never have happend here.
At that time EUFA was spitting its dummy out at all things English because we were winners. I still believe that the back-pass rule was brought in just to get at Liverpool because we used it to great effect.
I was there and saw the provocation by many sides NOT FROM LIVERPOOL.

The 10 year ban suited EUFA well it was the only way they were going to stop us.

The point I was making was that Benetiz is a great signing for us but don't slag off the possible British managers they would not necessarily have been a backward step. We are all inexperienced till we've done it and I do not think that Martin O'Neil would have been a bad signing and have been quite capable of winning Europe.
Last edited by JohnBull on Sat Jun 19, 2004 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnBull
JohnBull
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jimmyb » Sat Jun 19, 2004 4:49 pm

It doesn,t matter who we got you cant please everybody. foriegn or british manager will have the same problems at anfield. The job is enormous,but you cant fault rafa,s last few years at valencia, every time we played them they embarrassed us with excellent football , something we havent seen at anfield the last few years
jimmyb

Postby The_Rock » Sun Jun 20, 2004 10:30 am

Benitez is the best man suited for the job. I mean who else will you pick at this time. He just won the league against R.madrid, barcelona & deportivo (who had a great season too). He will sort out our defence for sure and this will solve 50% of our problems.

Finally the liverpool board has done something right. I can't imagine another season with houllier in charge. Just look at baros destroying holland. And houllier will still not pick him..... good riddance.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sun Jun 20, 2004 1:34 pm

Houllier had good managerial abilities which I have no doubt will make him successful in management on the continent.  But he lacked understanding of the british game and most importantly he lacked passion. 

Thats simply not true.

He used to stand on the Kop as a Liverpool fan and he nearly died trying to get this club back where it belonged.

Just because he was a calm and collected person and didn't do his dirty work in public doesn't mean he doesn't have passion. He was probably more passionate about this club than most of these so called "fans".
115-1073096938

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sun Jun 20, 2004 1:44 pm

Big Al why the despondency  the mans only just got his established and  may I add exonerated foot in the door, and your already dismissing  him as an abject failure.

Rafael Benitez  needs the backing of the  fans  ,I seem to remember Valencia’s irate fans denouncing and  berating him because the mans credentials  in their opinion did not match their expectations , but isn’t it true that them same fans tears still stain Valencia’s pavements  as a result of Benitezs departure .

I too wanted a British manager Al ,but that’s dead in the water so  give your backing to the new man
You can only hang a guilty man ! Lets not start a witch hunt like we did Houllier, this forum was a depressing  enough place then ,it was enough to abstain from posting as opposed to listen to the usual dirge    and sometimes hateful rants  not befitting of true Liverpool fans

Benitez’s  footballing principals are good we work as a team there are no individuals, surely the fans on this forum can heed them words
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sean » Sun Jun 20, 2004 1:50 pm

Does anybody know why Gerrard wanted Alan Curbishley to take over ?
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby JBG » Sun Jun 20, 2004 1:59 pm

I kind of see Big Al's point in that there is no guarantee that Benitez is our saviour.

I confess that I am no expert on Benitez, but his cv is impressive and I think he deserves a chance.

I have a good feeling about him, however.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby JohnBull » Sun Jun 20, 2004 2:07 pm

It is always going to be a gamble - whoever got the managers job. I think (and I didn't at first) that we've ended up with the right man.

As far as Curbs is concerned - don't underestimate the man because he's "only at Charlton" He is held in very high regard by many senior players because he sees their strengths and weaknesses AND offers sound advice on improving their game.
JohnBull
JohnBull
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby greenred » Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:14 am

Nah,im sayin nothing.The Spaniard it is ???
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Santa » Thu Jun 24, 2004 4:56 am

...I firmly beleieve that by bringing in a non British manager they have fell into the same trap with Houllier

can't agree there mate. Houllier do not have a good track record of winning consistently. Never managed a top club and (with hind sight) generally a very poor judger of talents.
Don't slack a foreign manager off just because they are not involved in British games. Wegner was managing in Japan before he moved to Arsenal. Turn back a few year, if we were to appoint Wegner instead of Evans, I am sure there will be a debate over the direction taken (not appointing from within) by the club.

O'Neill/Curbishly: Premiership experince, no winning track record
Benitez: came with impressive CV, no Premiership experience
...which will you choose?

I will take winning track record anyday. Get a solid foundation right, play flowing, basic football and let the rest worry about us. That's the way it should be.
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Santa » Thu Jun 24, 2004 5:15 am

out of all those managers I've named there was only 1 who forecast that one of his players would be a great manager of the future.
Cloughie forecast Martin O'Neil. 

Not disgareeing with you there John. But I remember there was a lot of confidence that John Barnes will be one superb manager for the future. What happened then...?

As for the rumour that Gerrard wanted to have Curbishly here, let's see if he will join him at Charlton and sacrifies the glamour and the money? What a lame excuse to opt for a cheap way out of the club who nature you.
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion