Our defence - My opinion

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ICE-MAN » Tue May 11, 2004 10:10 am

yeah i agree mexes is ideal i would love to see him at anfield and i think if we do get 4th which we should champions league football will be very appealing for him to come here so fingers crossed! guy roux can also stick a word or two in his ear as he did with cisse, he already told him that the italian league was very financially unstable which can throw roma etc off the scent, we need to do what we did last summer no more players for the future (exception le tallec n pongolle which were done deals years ago) but the likes of finnan and kewell who i believe will be awesome next year along with owen and cisse! :cool:
ICE-MAN

Postby Redtribe » Tue May 11, 2004 11:01 am

Yep bring in Mexes/Gallas (would prefer Mexes)
Keep Henchoz Carra Ostemabor as cover

And i think we have a very strong defensive collective
Redtribe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue May 11, 2004 11:13 am

Gallas is proven as one of the best 5 or 6 centre halfs in the country. He is a top class player so how can you say you'd preffere Mexes?

Mexes for me hasn't the pace nor the physical pressence to become as good as people think imo. He's not the biggest of centre halfs and he's never struck me as being lightening quick.

I Hope i'm wrong if we sign him.

we should be cheeky and go for Woodgate as seen as Newcastle aren't in the champions league, he's exactly what we need. He's good on the ball, commanding, very quick, very intelligent and a top class player. Lets face it, even if he cost 11 or 12million he'd be worth it as he'd definately no question improve our side.
115-1073096938

Postby ICE-MAN » Tue May 11, 2004 11:22 am

mexes is taller than cisse stu, seriously is! not by much though and cisse is a big enough fella!
but yeah i would be just as happy to get gallas but my preference is mexes, and btw mexes is taller than gallas!
yeah i would love to get woodgate and am a bit annoyed that we didnt go for him when newcastle got him but that whole court case probably threw us off!

i think though we have too much dead wood at the back so get rid of troare babbel biscan vignal and keep the rest imo   :cool:
ICE-MAN

Postby fritzylfc » Tue May 11, 2004 1:30 pm

defence is our biggest probllem, not so much as defenders but when we try to go forward. too many long hopless balls. henchov hypia carragher arnie hamman   are all poor ball passers.we need more control at the back .
fritzylfc

Postby Leonmc0708 » Tue May 11, 2004 1:34 pm

stu_the_red wrote:Gallas is proven as one of the best 5 or 6 centre halfs in the country. He is a top class player so how can you say you'd preffere Mexes?

Mexes for me hasn't the pace nor the physical pressence to become as good as people think imo. He's not the biggest of centre halfs and he's never struck me as being lightening quick.

I Hope i'm wrong if we sign him.

we should be cheeky and go for Woodgate as seen as Newcastle aren't in the champions league, he's exactly what we need. He's good on the ball, commanding, very quick, very intelligent and a top class player. Lets face it, even if he cost 11 or 12million he'd be worth it as he'd definately no question improve our side.

I read on the BBC website that Woodgate was considering a move from Newcastle should they fail to clinch the Champions League p[lace.

Man U and Arsenal are reportedly intrested, so maybe thats not such a forlorn hope.

Come on Saints Wednesday night.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue May 11, 2004 8:43 pm

i think though we have too much dead wood at the back so get rid of troare babbel biscan vignal and keep the rest imo   

Traore and Vignal shoud both be kept as backup.

Both are good capable premiership players.
115-1073096938

Postby Dalglish » Tue May 11, 2004 8:53 pm

Vignal I liked of what little we saw of him a season or so ago, traiore isn't good enough but probably second only to Hyppia in the air.

I'd like to see Gallas in the centre, quick, strong and skilful. i heard he had a fall out with Ranieri and didn't travel to the Man U game on Saturday :D

Anyone thought about Ehiogu ? (Sp) He had a superb game against us recently and kept a fair few clean sheets with boro this season.
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue May 11, 2004 8:57 pm

ehiogu is too old and past it imo.

it's amazing to think that ehiogu might end up on the plane to portugal with our lack of fit available centre halfs.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Dalglish » Tue May 11, 2004 9:02 pm

Fair point on the age issue St michael but between them Ehiogu and Southgate have kept more clean sheets than any other pairingin the prem apart from Arsenal :D

And a certain Gary Mac turned us into a fantastic cup side in 2001, i was in Dortmund and whatched him run the 120 mins like a gazelle , if your passionate and keen enough , you'll do for me :D
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue May 11, 2004 9:07 pm

i work at middlesbrough football club and have seen all of their home games. ehiogu didn't play before christmas. their best centre back has been colin cooper and he's 38!

i'd take mendieta off them though. :)
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby mynameisred » Tue May 11, 2004 9:11 pm

I totally respect what people have been saying about our defence and centrebacks and they have been great players for us but we lack pace badly at the back. In order for us to play more fluent attacking football we need to allow the midfield to push up further than it does, they cant because the defence has to sit so deep coz they lack pace on the turn. You must watch and wish the midfield would bomb on a bit more, C'mon lads u must also admit it can be edge of the seats stuff when someone with a bit of pace is running at big Sami.  Boumsong would have been ideal or soemone of that ilk to play along him.
Im new to this community so I wanna give props to my fellow reds fans out there. In regard of all the animosty Ive been hearing about hey c'mon were all red what more else is there to say we have a bond lets not disrespect it.
The man who came to merseyside from Newcastle, the man who says he's part of Liverpool as much as the Liver building. When he was needed Alan Kennedy was there. And with now just 8 minutes to go it could be that Alan Kennedy has made a little history.
mynameisred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Tue May 11, 2004 9:14 pm

Dalglish wrote:Fair point on the age issue St michael but between them Ehiogu and Southgate have kept more clean sheets than any other pairingin the prem apart from Arsenal :D

And a certain Gary Mac turned us into a fantastic cup side in 2001, i was in Dortmund and whatched him run the 120 mins like a gazelle , if your passionate and keen enough , you'll do for me :D

Yeah I was at Dortmund, and I saw Gary Macs dad singing like a gazelle on stage in the square. LMFAO  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue May 11, 2004 9:16 pm

i think every liverpool fan would agree that we need some pace at the back, mainly because we have changed our way of defending.

during the treble season we defended so deep that away from home teams found it hard to score against us. now we defend higher up the pitch and are more prone to the ball over the top.

boumsong would have been ideal but hopefully mexes will be the answer.

let us pray!
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby stapo1000 » Tue May 11, 2004 9:32 pm

we do need pace at the back cos we tend to turn defence into attack very quickly. i'd like to see this back 4 nxt season:

FINNAN     HYYPIA     MEXES    CARRA

BENCH: RIISE, GALLAS
Steve Gerrard Gerrard,
He'll pass the ball 40 yards,
He's quick and he's f*cking hard,
Steve Gerrard Gerrard.
stapo1000
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion