NESV - OUR NEW OWNERS - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby eds » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:33 pm

redshade » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:51 pm wrote:
eds » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:01 am wrote:
redshade » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:52 pm wrote::D :D easy there mate..

We all know how poor his last season was but i still stand the title challenging season he done really well with the team. Yes we all know we had the title in the bag but it just didn't happen. Rafa was class but even Rafa didn't come as close as Brendan did.

Rafa best season was coming 2nd (with a team he built) and if it wasn’t for that flaky Russian scoring four goals in one game for Arsenal, we would have won the title. He also won us the CL with a very limited squad, something the snake oil peddler could spend 100 years trying to do and NEVER achieve.

To compare the two together is just down right stupidity. And I was never really a Benitez fan TBH.

So not a Benitez fan not a Brendan fan, what about Klopp?

:D

It was the consecutive draws and the loss against Boro that cost us really in 08/09.

When we drew against Arsenal we were a point ahead of Mannure who had 2 games in hand. Even if we won and they got maximum from their games in hand they still would've been 3 points ahead.

If you read anything of what I’m writing you can clearly see I rate Klopp poles apart from David Brent.

In terms of my Benitez analogy I was simply pointing out he got as close as Rodgers did to the title, so I don’t know exactly what you are arguing about. These two teams came 2nd and we were 1 or 2 results from winning the title. Undermining what Rafa did that season to just make a point about how “wonderful” the snake peddler was is a bit cultish to be honest.
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby 7_Kewell » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:43 pm

eds » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:25 pm wrote:
Reg » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:31 am wrote:I'd say we had little choice in the first few years of FSG to play moneyball, it was a good way of disguising the fact we were broke so BR was appointed in a period of lean funding. Same time, now the finances are better we've come out of moneyball and I don't expect us to return to it. It was a necessity, not a choice.

Sorry once again Reginald I disagree.

If you look at our net spend under FSG now as compared to when they took over, very little has changed. The only difference as I have already mentioned is that we are spending more on less players as the market is dictating this. Gone are the days of the iditoic scatter gun approach which brought spuds the likes Alberto, Aspas, Markovic, etc

If we hadn’t sold Suarez and Coutinho under their tenure we wouldn’t have had the money to fund some of the players at the club today. I’m sorry to burst your “FSG are doing a fantastic job at our club” but it’s downright luck that we have sold 2 superstars in their time, shortly will be 3 when Salah is sold.

Klopp is jut a much better manager at picking and luring talent from across Europe (then Rodgers was or ever will be) and as we have seen he will only hold out for who he wants. It’s probably the best middle ground with FSG’s frugal approach and constraints. If Klopp ever leaves we are f**ked because there aren’t many managers that can do what he does at our level.

I'm so glad you're here to cheer us up  :D
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:45 pm

The point was just that Brendan title challenging season was the closest we've ever been since we won it. Anyhow I'm not saying he was an awesome manager but just pointing out he did well that season. I wanted him out and glad Klopp took over.

I was a fan of Rafa and i still respect him even more than Brendan.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:23 am

We nearly won the title had nothing to do with Brendan Rodgers. It was Luis Suarezs efforts, plus Stevie G and Sterling had a very good season. Other than that Rodgers needed a slap for LOSING our chance  win the league. Did we come close?
Or did we LOSE the title that season!!?  Five points clear with three games to play!?? Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out we completely blew it.

Klopp may not even get that close to winning it. The game keeps changing, every season the goal posts are moving... Man City raised the bar yet again with their financial muscle. Strength and Depth etc etc.

It's getting boring, if Klopp departs in a few seasons and we haven't won the holy grail, wat then.... New manager, rebuild, back to square one all over again!!!!?

I'm afraid folks, we are living in a billion dollar Circus.
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby Reg » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:51 am

Rodgers was carried by the SAS and Stevie/Carra, he offered no 3-5 year prospects of building a championship winning team then going on from there.

Don't forget the white teeth.......
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:38 am

Ghost of Shankly » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:23 pm wrote:We nearly won the title had nothing to do with Brendan Rodgers. It was Luis Suarezs efforts, plus Stevie G and Sterling had a very good season. Other than that Rodgers needed a slap for LOSING our chance  win the league. Did we come close?
Or did we LOSE the title that season!!?  Five points clear with three games to play!?? Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out we completely blew it.

Klopp may not even get that close to winning it. The game keeps changing, every season the goal posts are moving... Man City raised the bar yet again with their financial muscle. Strength and Depth etc etc.

It's getting boring, if Klopp departs in a few seasons and we haven't won the holy grail, wat then.... New manager, rebuild, back to square one all over again!!!!?

:laugh:
These kinda sentiments are just hilarious. If players can play themselves then why hire managers at all? :laugh:
The real madrids, barcelonas and PSG's don't need any managers then!
Who bought Sturridge and Coutinho? Who trained up Sterling from the youth and incorporated him into the strating line up? Who revived the flailing career of Henderson? All these players played a key role in the title challenge.
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby eds » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:29 am

I don’t think that’s the point being made Mags.

That comment made by Ghost is too hose down the hysteria as everyone is carrying on like a pork chop about Rodgers being the 2nd coming of Christ because he had one good season with a world class attack at his disposal.

A world class manager like Benitez or Klopp can build competitive sides (as we have seen) without being reliant on 1 or 2 players which unfortunately was David Brent’s undoing when he was well and truly found out the season after Suarez left and Sturridge was permanently injured.
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby Reg » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:14 am

Rodgers was 'found out' as you say... if you recall he couldn't change his tactics and kept playing those who should have been dropped way earlier and refused to admit to problems and failings. It all became very tedious and in the end he brought the house down upon himself.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby johnbarnes » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:55 am

Now I...
I know we're not in Kansas!
Attachments
68477909.jpg
68477909.jpg (78.02 KiB) Viewed 1694 times
johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

Postby damjan193 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:59 am

eds » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:29 am wrote:I don’t think that’s the point being made Mags.

That comment made by Ghost is too hose down the hysteria as everyone is carrying on like a pork chop about Rodgers being the 2nd coming of Christ because he had one good season with a world class attack at his disposal.

A world class manager like Benitez or Klopp can build competitive sides (as we have seen) without being reliant on 1 or 2 players which unfortunately was David Brent’s undoing when he was well and truly found out the season after Suarez left and Sturridge was permanently injured.

Think you're overreacting there a bit mate. No one said that Rodgers was the best manager to ever manage us or anything similar along those lines. All everyone is saying is that he wasn't a deluded clown like Hodgson and deserves credit for implementing attractive football in our team and for coming the closest to winning the league in the past 20 odd years. That's all.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby maguskwt » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:07 pm

eds » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:29 am wrote:I don’t think that’s the point being made Mags.

I get what you're saying Eds... I don't think anyone is saying BR is the messiah. He is definitely not the same level as Rafa or Klopp. But one cannot just think only managers with a pedigree are good managers. If Klopp wasn't given a chance by BD, he wouldn't have become what his is. So too Rafa by Valencia. Even Rafa, with his class, didn't manage to win the league. Klopp, remains to be seen, but I'm sure he himself will admit that it is not going to be an easy job. I've always said BR was too early in his career for the Liverpool post. But he is not a bad manager.

Anyway I'm sick of re-hashing the past. We need to move on! Feck off about BR! Feck off about Rafa! Now is Kloppo's time! :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:08 pm

damjan193 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:59 am wrote:
eds » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:29 am wrote:I don’t think that’s the point being made Mags.

Think you're overreacting there a bit mate. No one said that Rodgers was the best manager to ever manage us or anything similar along those lines. All everyone is saying is that he wasn't a deluded clown like Hodgson and deserves credit for implementing attractive football in our team and for coming the closest to winning the league in the past 20 odd years. That's all.

Precisely!  :bowdown
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:49 pm

maguskwt » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:38 am wrote:
Ghost of Shankly » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:23 pm wrote:We nearly won the title had nothing to do with Brendan Rodgers. It was Luis Suarezs efforts, plus Stevie G and Sterling had a very good season. Other than that Rodgers needed a slap for LOSING our chance  win the league. Did we come close?

:laugh:
These kinda sentiments are just hilarious. If players can play themselves then why hire managers at all? :laugh:
The real madrids, barcelonas and PSG's don't need any managers then!
Who bought Sturridge and Coutinho? Who trained up Sterling from the youth and incorporated him into the strating line up? Who revived the flailing career of Henderson? All these players played a key role in the title challenge.

I'm merely stating the team was merely on Autopilot, tell us about the 300m of LFC cash that Rodgers p*ssed up the wall in DUD transfers.

Suarez and Sterling had an outstanding season that year, and It wasn't all just down to the manager.

Even WOY Hodgson would have nearly won the league had in been in charge, that particular season. :p
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby maguskwt » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:03 am

Ghost of Shankly » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:49 pm wrote:
maguskwt » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:38 am wrote:
Ghost of Shankly » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:23 pm wrote:
I'm merely stating the team was merely on Autopilot, tell us about the 300m of LFC cash that Rodgers p*ssed up the wall in DUD transfers.

Suarez and Sterling had an outstanding season that year, and It wasn't all just down to the manager.

Even WOY Hodgson would have nearly won the league had in been in charge, that particular season. :p

300m? Like I said I dont want to keep re-hashing so ill just give you key words. 25 million net per season. Moneyball. Transfer committee.

You blame the manager when results are bad, you give the manager the credit when results are good. End of story. :;):
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:10 am

I struggle to see what the discussion is about to be honest. Was Rodgers good enough, no. Are FSG good owners and making progress on and off the field, yes. Do they need to step up into the big league and bring in 1-2-3 more major signings to ensure we win the league and reestablish ourselves as the best team in the country then later in europe, hell yeah. But right now, looking good.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion