NESV - OUR NEW OWNERS - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:29 pm

Rodgers went ridiculously close, in fact after beating City we were 5 points clear with 3 games to go (although City did have a game in hand and vastly superior goal difference). A draw would have done against Chelsea but I guess you can't legislate for something like Gerrard slipping over.
Brendan was really unlucky.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby redshade » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:36 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:29 pm wrote:Rodgers went ridiculously close, in fact after beating City we were 5 points clear with 3 games to go (although City did have a game in hand and vastly superior goal difference). A draw would have done against Chelsea but I guess you can't legislate for something like Gerrard slipping over.

We played some fantastic footy under Brendan Rogers so credit must be given to him. Under Brendan it was the closest ever chance we had winning the title. I really thought we will win it then but like you said mate had Brendan been more "pragmatic" against Chelsea we probably would've done it.

Brendan just screwed up bigtime when Suarez left we just had no real system, no clue, no style of play.

Anyhow people I'm convinced we will have a title challenge with Klopp as well and im praying he brings home No.19.

Well prior to that he will bring home No.6 this season. :D
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:53 pm

redshade » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:36 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:29 pm wrote:Rodgers went ridiculously close, in fact after beating City we were 5 points clear with 3 games to go (although City did have a game in hand and vastly superior goal difference). A draw would have done against Chelsea but I guess you can't legislate for something like Gerrard slipping over.

We played some fantastic footy under Brendan Rogers so credit must be given to him. Under Brendan it was the closest ever chance we had winning the title. I really thought we will win it then but like you said mate had Brendan been more "pragmatic" against Chelsea we probably would've done it.

Brendan just screwed up bigtime when Suarez left we just had no real system, no clue, no style of play.

Anyhow people I'm convinced we will have a title challenge with Klopp as well and im praying he brings home No.19.

Well prior to that he will bring home No.6 this season. :D

Luck plays a big part in sport and to be fair to Brendan he had 2 pieces of bad luck go against him at the worst possible time.
The first was when Hendo got sent off against City with literally about 10 seconds left and the second was Gerrards slip.
We missed Hendo against Chelsea, he was Gerrards legs.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby eds » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:27 pm

This thread has gone from a FSG love in to a blo*dy Rodgers orgy....

Oh Brendan the Brave, oh Brendan the magnificent, oh Brendan the unlucky.

Do I need you to remind you what a complete f**k up this goon was! From the litany of rubbish he signed and the money wasted on arguably the worst players we have ever seen wear our shirt. It wasn’t Henderson or Gerrrad that lost us the title it was turds like Iago Aspas who couldn’t even cross the ball when that’s all we expected from them......

Do you all to be reminded the 3 other disgraceful seasons we had with him, the pathetic sound bite excuses he was reknown for, the debarcle that was our early CL exit, the inexcusable hammering we received from f**king Stoke in Stevie G’s last game?!? You all have very, very short memories.

I will go as far as saying he lost us the title. Any other manager in the top 4 with that attack line up would have won it in a canter. Klopp would have won us something at least.

The man was an utter disgrace. And quiet frankly that fact that most of you have weird romanticized memories of this con artist is embarrassing.
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby redshade » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:52 pm

:D :D easy there mate..

We all know how poor his last season was but i still stand the title challenging season he done really well with the team. Yes we all know we had the title in the bag but it just didn't happen. Rafa was class but even Rafa didn't come as close as Brendan did.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby maguskwt » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:39 am

eds » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:27 pm wrote:This thread has gone from a FSG love in to a blo*dy Rodgers orgy....

Oh Brendan the Brave, oh Brendan the magnificent, oh Brendan the unlucky.

Do I need you to remind you what a complete f**k up this goon was! From the litany of rubbish he signed and the money wasted on arguably the worst players we have ever seen wear our shirt. It wasn’t Henderson or Gerrrad that lost us the title it was turds like Iago Aspas who couldn’t even cross the ball when that’s all we expected from them......

Do you all to be reminded the 3 other disgraceful seasons we had with him, the pathetic sound bite excuses he was reknown for, the debarcle that was our early CL exit, the inexcusable hammering we received from f**king Stoke in Stevie G’s last game?!? You all have very, very short memories.

I will go as far as saying he lost us the title. Any other manager in the top 4 with that attack line up would have won it in a canter. Klopp would have won us something at least.

The man was an utter disgrace. And quiet frankly that fact that most of you have weird romanticized memories of this con artist is embarrassing.

So are FSG to blame for or BR to blame for the players we bought during BR's tenure mate?
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby eds » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:52 am

FSG are ultimately responsible for bringing in the snake oil peddler to our club, thinking he could turn water  into wine. As we all know he failed miserably when Suarez left. They would not have survived if they had brought in another no-mark name to the club to replace him.

As much you all don’t want to accept this FSG have put the same constraints on Klopp than they had on Rodgers, that is buying players under 25yo and not spending on anyone over this age unless it’s a free transfer. The only difference is that we are spending more because the market dictates this now.

Klopp is doing a much better job because he is miles better the Rodgers in actually building a team and trying to get us playing as a cohesive unit. Rodgers had the world’s best strike partnership to paper over his obvious flaws.
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

eds

Postby eds » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:01 am

redshade » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:52 pm wrote::D :D easy there mate..

We all know how poor his last season was but i still stand the title challenging season he done really well with the team. Yes we all know we had the title in the bag but it just didn't happen. Rafa was class but even Rafa didn't come as close as Brendan did.

Rafa best season was coming 2nd (with a team he built) and if it wasn’t for that flaky Russian scoring four goals in one game for Arsenal, we would have won the title. He also won us the CL with a very limited squad, something the snake oil peddler could spend 100 years trying to do and NEVER achieve.

To compare the two together is just down right stupidity. And I was never really a Benitez fan TBH.

eds

Postby Reg » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:51 am

The snake oil peddler!   :laugh:  :laugh:

Ok lets rewind a bit and remember the facts of the matter. H&G caused untold damage to LFC, Rafa tried to fight a one man defence and will the best intentions in the world, blew it. Hodgson, who rivals Donald Trump as the world's village idiot was appointed when everyone would tell you he was incompatible with the job, club and fans. But at least we didn't get Fat Sam like the blueshite have.

Broughton played a good hand as chairman and brought in FSG.
Woy had to go, Kenny took over as someone rightly said, to restore some sanity and stability to the club. Being out dated it didn't last.
FSG being inexperienced but showing imagination went for a young man. Fans at the time were not upset and Rodgers was appointed.
In the short term the club struggled to regain control of its finances and there were transfer budget constraints so the Moneyball strategy was adopted. At the same time Comolli was brought in to guide FSG and Rodgers and reproduce some of the young talent finds he'd done at Spurs. So Rodgers was a gamble but was supported by Comolli - seems sensible to me.

The team that came second had Suarez, Sturrdige, Sterling, Gerrard, Carra, Henderson, Joe Allen, Migs - it wasn't bad! But Suarez left, Sterling was sold and we went into the doldrums.

What annoyed the fans most was despite the declining standard of footie on the pitch and dropping points and conceding goals, the manager insisted that they were 'amazing', 'outstanding', 'Massive effort' when we could all see it was cr@p. Rodgers lost credibility, Moneyball didn't work and we ground to a halt. The fans and to some extent the players gave up on Rodgers.

So FSG brought in Klopp on the 3rd highest EPL manager's salary to turn it round. He set amongst the slackers, brought in new blood and rejuvenated some of the existing team.

To answer my own question what have they done wrong, I'd say as new owners and not understanding English footie, the fans or the club, they've done remarkably little wrong and what they did do wrong in the first 2-3 years has been repaired.

There's no one out there right now I'd swap them for, thats for sure.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:04 pm

Reg » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:51 am wrote:The snake oil peddler!   :laugh:  :laugh:

Ok lets rewind a bit and remember the facts of the matter. H&G caused untold damage to LFC, Rafa tried to fight a one man defence and will the best intentions in the world, blew it. Hodgson, who rivals Donald Trump as the world's village idiot was appointed when everyone would tell you he was incompatible with the job, club and fans. But at least we didn't get Fat Sam like the blueshite have.

Woy had to go, Kenny took over as someone rightly said, to restore some sanity and stability to the club. Being out dated it didn't last.
FSG being inexperienced but showing imagination went for a young man. Fans at the time were not upset and Rodgers was appointed.
In the short term the club struggled to regain control of its finances and there were transfer budget constraints so the Moneyball strategy was adopted. At the same time Comolli was brought in to guide FSG and Rodgers and reproduce some of the young talent finds he'd done at Spurs. So Rodgers was a gamble but was supported by Comolli - seems sensible to me.

The team that came second had Suarez, Sturrdige, Sterling, Gerrard, Carra, Henderson, Joe Allen, Migs - it wasn't bad! But Suarez left, Sterling was sold and we went into the doldrums.

What annoyed the fans most was despite the declining standard of footie on the pitch and dropping points and conceding goals, the manager insisted that they were 'amazing', 'outstanding', 'Massive effort' when we could all see it was cr@p. Rodgers lost credibility, Moneyball didn't work and we ground to a halt. The fans and to some extent the players gave up on Rodgers.

So FSG brought in Klopp on the 3rd highest EPL manager's salary to turn it round. He set amongst the slackers, brought in new blood and rejuvenated some of the existing team.

To answer my own question what have they done wrong, I'd say as new owners and not understanding English footie, the fans or the club, they've done remarkably little wrong and what they did do wrong in the first 2-3 years has been repaired.

Fair enough Reg. Alot more sensible post than most on here.

You can't though deny the fact that the moneyball strategy and the infamous transfer committee were at their peak during Rodgers tenure. Rodgers main weakness was his lack of track record and his youth. He wasnt a bad manager. If he had joined us after his current stint at Celtic alot of fans would have been more receptive.

With Klopp, he is such a strong personality, FSG can't do the complete moneyball on him. The conversation would have gone something like this:
Klopp: I vant this guy...
Transfer Committee (TC): Hmmm but that guy's gonna cost 60 million pounds. Where is the value in that? How about this guy, or this one or this one?
Klopp: Feck you! Who do you think I am? Brendan? Either give me this guy or I von't buy anyone! How about that?? And I von't be back!
TC: Ok Ok Juergen. You can have that guy...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:31 pm

I'd say we had little choice in the first few years of FSG to play moneyball, it was a good way of disguising the fact we were broke so BR was appointed in a period of lean funding. Same time, now the finances are better we've come out of moneyball and I don't expect us to return to it. It was a necessity, not a choice.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:51 pm

eds » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:01 am wrote:
redshade » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:52 pm wrote::D :D easy there mate..

Rafa best season was coming 2nd (with a team he built) and if it wasn’t for that flaky Russian scoring four goals in one game for Arsenal, we would have won the title. He also won us the CL with a very limited squad, something the snake oil peddler could spend 100 years trying to do and NEVER achieve.

To compare the two together is just down right stupidity. And I was never really a Benitez fan TBH.

So not a Benitez fan not a Brendan fan, what about Klopp?

:D

It was the consecutive draws and the loss against Boro that cost us really in 08/09.

When we drew against Arsenal we were a point ahead of Mannure who had 2 games in hand. Even if we won and they got maximum from their games in hand they still would've been 3 points ahead.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:53 pm

Reg » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:51 am wrote:The snake oil peddler!   :laugh:  :laugh:

Excellent post.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:13 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:29 pm wrote:Rodgers went ridiculously close, in fact after beating City we were 5 points clear with 3 games to go (although City did have a game in hand and vastly superior goal difference). A draw would have done against Chelsea but I guess you can't legislate for something like Gerrard slipping over.
Brendan was really unlucky.

You're always going to be unlucky when you employ suicidal defending.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby eds » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:25 pm

Reg » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:31 am wrote:I'd say we had little choice in the first few years of FSG to play moneyball, it was a good way of disguising the fact we were broke so BR was appointed in a period of lean funding. Same time, now the finances are better we've come out of moneyball and I don't expect us to return to it. It was a necessity, not a choice.

Sorry once again Reginald I disagree.

If you look at our net spend under FSG now as compared to when they took over, very little has changed. The only difference as I have already mentioned is that we are spending more on less players as the market is dictating this. Gone are the days of the iditoic scatter gun approach which brought spuds the likes Alberto, Aspas, Markovic, etc

If we hadn’t sold Suarez and Coutinho under their tenure we wouldn’t have had the money to fund some of the players at the club today. I’m sorry to burst your “FSG are doing a fantastic job at our club” but it’s downright luck that we have sold 2 superstars in their time, shortly will be 3 when Salah is sold.

Klopp is jut a much better manager at picking and luring talent from across Europe (then Rodgers was or ever will be) and as we have seen he will only hold out for who he wants. It’s probably the best middle ground with FSG’s frugal approach and constraints. If Klopp ever leaves we are f**ked because there aren’t many managers that can do what he does at our level.

eds

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion