Mellor was awful against watford - Sell - he is not going to make it.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Redrider » Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:02 am

Neil Mellor had a stinker last night, If we can use him in a player exchange during January, he should go. Otherwise just put him on the available for loan or transfer list.
Big Sam might pick him up next time he is going round the Car Boot Sales.!!
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby Woollyback » Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:05 am

Cheeky Sam will want him on a free though and still want us to pay his wages probably  :D
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:27 am

Mellor is a squad, injury crises type player. Every club needs them. Baros has goals in him, but what else do we have? Moreientes not here yet, What's the story on Cisse?
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:51 am

I've said for some time now that god bless him for trying hard, Mellor isn't up to it. Not for us under any circumstances whatsoever. If he is ever our best option it means our squad isn't big or good enough I'm afraid.
Sheff Utd bid half a million for him some time ago, that's about his level in my opinion. I honestly don't believe he would get in at any other club in the Premiership.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 1234ram » Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:17 pm

he plays poor one match and u lot start saying his ****** now i admit his  not prem qality but him and baros up front work well
1234ram

Postby laza » Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:21 pm

He is a squad player with a big heart and has been pushed into limelight due to lenghty injury crisis.
We cant afford to have half dozen world class strikers so you do need players like him for backup.
If you you sell him for half a million, who are you going to replace him with anyway
Last edited by laza on Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 1234ram » Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:22 pm

well said but theres alwayz le tallec he a wicked playa him and pongell
1234ram

Postby Redrider » Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:25 pm

No sorry, it is not just one match. All I can say is that watching him week in and week out, he occasionally does something to say, yes there is something there and you think he has potential.
But last night the realisation hit home, he was awful against a Championship outfit, he had no pace, no invention, applied no pressure, did no running, he was cr&p !!
If he can not perform against a team from a lower league, he is not going to cut it in the Premiership. Sorry.
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby andy_g » Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:32 pm

i wouldn't say he was cr.ap last night. he had two attempts on goal - one he did well to get a header on target under a lot of physical pressure from the defender, the other he had his heels clipped just as he was getting his shot away and couldn't get any power.

but still, i think he's playing at the top of his game now. all respect to the lad but i don't think he's going to become the quality we need.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:20 pm

Alot of comments about Mellor are not plesant guys so lets give the lad a break.

He is young and this is his first major season in the EPL. He hasnt done to badly and is still learning. He is making minor tactical mistakes with his game play but that will improve in time, as the same can be said about many young players.

He may not "look" like a world class player, given some of you seem to be expert pundits, but he does try and you cannot fault him for his effort.

You cant be running all over the friggin pitch closing people down. Sometimes its tactics and sometimes its about not leaving gaps....its more than just simple lazyiness...I am sure Rafa would have told him to close players down if he felt Mellor was being "lazy."

But he has scored some valuable goals at crucial times that have saved us and given us the opportunity to move into the latter stages of the CL...

He may again not be world class...but neither was David Speedie, Paul Walsh or Karl Heinz Rieldle but they contributed in their own way to the success of the team...

Mellor is NOT another Micheal Owen so get over it!
Last edited by stmichael on Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby reddippydick » Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:27 pm

Naw Mellor cant go to big sam cos he can't spit far enough :D

Big Niall

didn't yer know Cisse broke his leg :D
reddippydick

Postby Leonmc0708 » Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:33 pm

Was Mellor awful when he hit a rocket past Lehman a few weeks back?

Was he bad when he scored against Olympiakos?

One bad game does not a failure make.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:40 pm

some good discussion on Neil in another thread from just before Christmas:

NEIL MELLOR THREAD

Worth a butchers.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby murphy0151 » Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:40 pm

An he was alot better than Golden boy Garcia who has been ****** e for a gud few games now.  He reminds me off Danny Murphy for the simple fact he gives the ball away just as much as him.

Oh well off to watch Carmen Electra's hypermix :D
murphy0151
LFC Super Member

Postby 115-1073096938 » Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:33 pm

No sorry, it is not just one match. All I can say is that watching him week in and week out, he occasionally does something to say, yes there is something there and you think he has potential.
But last night the realisation hit home, he was awful against a Championship outfit, he had no pace, no invention, applied no pressure, did no running, he was cr&p !!
If he can not perform against a team from a lower league, he is not going to cut it in the Premiership. Sorry.

So because he has a bad game against Watford that takes away his match winning games against Newcastle, Boro, Arsenal and Olympiakos?

Expert alert :laugh:

Typical idiotic "fan". Never been to a game in his life yet thinks his judgement is the balls.

For the wages he's on and the money we'd get for him we should keep him. A bit of common sense is needed here.
115-1073096938

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion