Sell mascherano to raise funds? - Sell or keep?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Sell mascherano to raise funds? - Sell or keep?

Sell
52%
Keep
48%

Total votes : 110

Postby Sabre » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:25 am

ben oseman wrote:how you agree, mash is worth more money than he contributes to the team, he is :censored: on the ball, nad gives away possesion over the pitch, cant beat any decent midfielders to a header

I regard highly Mascherano's football, which is different to Alonso's football, but top quality in what he does. A season in which his football was lower than usual doesn't change the previous fantastic seasons he did for Liverpool.

England could have been in the world cup final had they got a Mascherano and a good keeper.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Tim LFC » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:00 pm

Mascherano's back in training so he should be speaking to Hodgson today and we'll see what happens.
Tim LFC

Postby Thommo's perm » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:32 pm

Tim LFC wrote:Mascherano's back in training so he should be speaking to Hodgson today and we'll see what happens.

Simple question:
"Do you really want to play for Liverpool Football Club?"

Answer: Yes. "Smashing lets get working"
Answer: No. "Lets see how much we can get for you"
Thommo's perm

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:32 pm

NANNY RED wrote:Well hes turned up at Melwood this morning, so i guess either way we will know about what hes gonna be doing soon enough

Personally i hope he stays, i love our little Javier

If Hodgson persuades Mascherano to stay for another season I will genuinely believe he is the manager to put us back where we belong ...... convince him Roy we need passion in that team and there are none more passionate than the Little Chief
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby rocky29 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:04 pm

ive got a great idea lets swap masch for benzema. benzema has been struggling to make starting line-up. we get a good striker plus and more importantly rub the big nose of that old fecker whos been trying to sign him for a few years now. anyone agree?
rocky29
LFC Super Member

Postby Scottbot » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:00 pm

ben oseman wrote:we cant afford to turn down a good offer for a player who only offers defensive qualities. there are much better players in the same price bracket as masch, i do like masch and inn an ideal world id have him in my team but we all know its not an ideal world for us reds at the moment

Masch might not offer a great deal going forward but put him in a team of essentially attacking players and you will see the best of him. He isn't just a defensive mid, he's an absolute 'wrecker' of a player. We played our best football under Rafa when we pressed and squeezed teams when they had the ball. Masch set the pace for our pressing game every time and was/is a very important player. Yes, he would be easier to replace than a Gerrard or a Torres BUT I'd only sell if he definately wants out + we get a very good offer. no-one (apart from city) seems to spending at the moment. Bet he stays if he gets a big contract offer. He wants more money i'm sure.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:35 pm

Seems to be on his way out...

Mascherano set to leave Liverpool after talks

By Harry Harris, Football Correspondent

July 26, 2010

Javier Mascherano has been told he can leave Liverpool, according to ESPNsoccernet sources, having held talks with the Liverpool hierarchy on Monday.

Mascherano, who captained Argentina at the World Cup, spoke with manager Roy Hodgson after returning from holiday, having previously ignored the new manager's attempts to contact him.

A source close to Mascherano told Soccernet: "The talks were extremely amicable. It was all done in a very nice way. Javier made it clear that he wanted to leave a year ago when he had the chance to go to Barcelona.

"He was asked to stay on for one more year, he agreed, so now it is time for him to go. It was all very pleasant and it is now a question of the two clubs who are interested in him making an acceptable offer to Liverpool."

Hodgson held talks with skipper Steven Gerrard and convinced him to stay, but has failed to convince Mascherano, who now looks likely to rejoin former manager Rafael Benitez at Inter Milan or seal a move to Spanish champions Barcelona, who are looking to replace Yaya Toure after admitting defeat over Arsenal's Cesc Fabregas.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby sgs » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:41 pm

Harry Harris:D :laugh:

If truly he is 'allowed to leave', then it simply says more than anything else, incl the commendable signing of cole, about where the club really stands atm in terms of its ambition...
Floyd stepped left and threw the hook that caught Hatton flush under the chin. Finally, the British champ had arrived in that mythical place of which his fans speak: Hatton Wonderland.
sgs

Postby Owzat » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:17 am

Sounds plausible that the hierarchy persuaded him to stay for one more year, but then surely we'd have heard a lot more about this "verbal promise" already if it were true.............................

Let him go, the mancs didn't really want to sell Ronaldo and he was a much bigger influence.

Ronaldo impact at the mancs

05/06 : 9 league goals in 33 apps (no league title)
06/07 : 17 league goals in 34 apps (Champions)
07/08 : 31 league goals in 34 apps (Champions)
08/09 : 18 league goals in 33 apps (Champions)
09/10 : gone to Real Madrid (no league title)

Coincidence? Pretty darned big one if it is. He outscored Rooney in each of those title seasons, without Ronaldo they came a close second as Rooney upped his goals return to 26 league goals in 32 apps which is only one less goal than Torres and Gerrard scored last season combined in 55 apps.

We could do with a big payout for a player, while no club likes selling stars it can often be beneficial if the club has to watch spending and might not have that kind of money to spend otherwise.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:24 am

sgs wrote:Harry Harris:D :laugh:

If truly he is 'allowed to leave', then it simply says more than anything else, incl the commendable signing of cole, about where the club really stands atm in terms of its ambition...

its true though mate hes handed in a tranfer request, an im gutted , its gonna be so hard to find a replacement, because even though i want Roy to get what ever money  he is sold for ,you just know that its gonna go to pay there loan, gutted
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:02 am

Gutted to lose Mascherano Nan :(
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ben Patrick » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:13 am

NANNY RED wrote:

its true though mate hes handed in a tranfer request, an im gutted , its gonna be so hard to find a replacement, because even though i want Roy to get what ever money  he is sold for ,you just know that its gonna go to pay there loan, gutted

I am also not happy that he is going to leave, top player he is and definately for me the best in the world at what he does.
We now need to make sure we get 25 million for him.

Nan, i understand with these owners your concerns about whether Roy will get the money but we dont know for sure.
If he is given it then i am sure we can strengthen the team with the money.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby NANNY RED » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:10 am

Ben Patrick wrote:
NANNY RED wrote:

I am also not happy that he is going to leave, top player he is and definately for me the best in the world at what he does.
We now need to make sure we get 25 million for him.

Nan, i understand with these owners your concerns about whether Roy will get the money but we dont know for sure.
If he is given it then i am sure we can strengthen the team with the money.

I hope so Ben , but cant see it,
Down to you then Martin as it is on record you saying any money made from tranfers will not go to the owners but straight into the transfer kitty ,
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ben Patrick » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:25 am

Fingers crossed eh nan.

None of us thought we had a chance of enticing Joe Cole and we did so lets just hope Roy gets the money and is allowed to bring a couple of players with it.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby Bad Bob » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:28 am

To avoid redundancy, I'm going to lock this thread and direct all discussion of his departure to the official Masch thread.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion