Mellor was awful against watford - Sell - he is not going to make it.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby taff » Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:38 pm

Im warming to the guy especially after some of those goals but in all honesty I dont see a long term future for him but to sell him this month is ludicrous
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:41 pm

He's not another Michael Owen. He's not even a very good player.

But he gives 100% and knows where the net is didn't cost us anything and isn't ruining the club with his wage demands.

I'd keep the lad for as long as he was willing to stay. Thats what loyalty is all about if you ask me.
115-1073096938

Postby taff » Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:44 pm

I see your point but th eloyalty thing works now and he has come in and done a good job in trying times but with Morientes joining and probably some summer signings I cant see him being the same next season

I hope he proves me wrong as I genuinely like the guy but deep down dont think he has the class

Murphy was loyal etc but is it loyalty as the next move is gonna be downwards
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby welsh wizzard » Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:58 pm

he will go at the end of the season when cisse comes back with baros and pongolle and now the one and only morientes he will not want to stay as 5th choice striker he will go he has done well but only in parts i think he is only here now because of cisse injury at start of season he wanted to go because he wouldn't get games so next season he deffo won't be here.he has done well with a few very important goals but that will not make him a very good player he is only a good player at present and i can't see him improving on that.
welsh wizzard
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:22 pm

Of course I know he broke his leg but some reports said he's out for the season, others the whole of 2005 and others that his career is in doubt.

Just wondering whether anybody knows how his progress is going, he is not dead just because he is not available.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:26 pm

above is about Cisse, of course.

Anyway, I think nearly everyone agrees that Mellor is a good lad, tries his best, not good enough to be in the first team.

I think he is good enough to be in the squad and can do a job. Maybe in games when we need a late goal his aerial ability will be useful at set pieces.

No point in selling him, his not on much wages (compared to others) and we wouldn't get much money.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:30 pm

Niall... for once lad, excellently put.
115-1073096938

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:38 pm

Well said Big Niall,
The lad had a poor game last night but so did some of the others. I'm happy to see him as part of the squad.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby banana » Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:24 pm

I do not agree. Mellor had a fairly good game, by his own standards yesterday. His abilities are limited and it is not fair to expect him to turn into a superstar overnight.

When Mellor played his first game for us this season I was shocked. He did not know what to do, and he was always half a second late or 10 yards away from the action. If given the ball he gave it away like a schoolboy every time. I came on this forum and said " Mellor is the worst player I have ever seen play a full game for the reds" And I've been watching games for 30 years. Even flops like Dundee and Meijer had tons of skill compared to him. Also his game vs. gunners when he scored was pizz, just a lucky strike from 30 yards out.

BUT. I can see a massive improvement since his first run outs this season. I really mean it. Last nights game was much better than his earlier performances. His movement has improved, his speed has improved in general he seems much more fit. He doesn't longer give the ball away every time and he has the confidence to hold on to the ball. Mellor has improved a lot.

Having said that I do not think he will ever be good enough to wear the number 9 or 11 jersey here. He can not improve that much, it is impossible given his current skills and physical attributes. I can see two things happening 1) A decent offer is put on the table in january and Mellor is sold 2) Mellor is kept to provide cover until the end of the season, and then sold
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby 115-1073096938 » Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:35 pm

*NEWSFLASH*

*BANANA GIVES WHITE ENGLISH PLAYER OUNCE OF CREDIT!!*

Against Arsenal he wasn't "pizz" as you put it.

He put 100% in, didn't give the defenders a seconds rest, very disciplined and scored a winner. That isn't "pizz". Thats making your own "luck".
115-1073096938

Postby stmichael » Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:38 pm

stu_the_red wrote:*NEWSFLASH*

*BANANA GIVES WHITE ENGLISH PLAYER OUNCE OF CREDIT!!*

???
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 115-1073096938 » Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:41 pm

Owen, Kirkland, Murphy... slates them all because they're english.
115-1073096938

Postby KARMANI » Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:55 pm

I personally dont think hes an LFC player, hes not quick enough, hes no good at holding up the ball and he looks to chubby to me, maybe he could loose some weight?

He could be worth a few quid to someone in the premiership a team like Southampton or someone like that but just dont think hes good enough to be red, especially if we end up with Morientes (sp), Baros, Pongolle and Cisse.
KARMANI

Postby akumaface » Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:15 pm

To the contrary, I think he possesses something more important  than physical attribute. To me, he got that striker luck or you may call it striker sense. Somehow, he always appears in good position and able to score some goals. This is something you can't learn. I think you either have it or you don't. This has nothing to do with pace or physical skill, this is more what I will be looking for especially we already have pacy players like Baros or Pongolle. If every striker we have plays the same way, we wouldn't have much variety to choose from and too one dimensioned. So, the lad had couple of so called bad games, so what and as Rush had said, you can miss 10 chances but if you score one, you will become hero again. Mellor is still young and what a good player to have as backup. Always motivated and give 110% every game. If you try hard, good thing will happens. We only started criticize Heskey only because he didn't score enough goals for us during the seasons with us. We should be more patient here but I'm sure in 2 to 3 years time, he would receive nothing but praise from us and this conversation would never have existed. :)
akumaface
LFC Super Member

Postby FrankM » Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:18 pm

murphy0151 wrote:An he was alot better than Golden boy Garcia who has been ****** e for a gud few games now.  He reminds me off Danny Murphy for the simple fact he gives the ball away just as much as him.

Oh well off to watch Carmen Electra's hypermix :D

I thought I was the only one who thinks that Garcia is playing S***e. Dont give me excuses for playing out of position. That is no justification for constantly giving the ball away and pulling out of tackles. He is too fond of showboating for my liking.

At least Mellor gives 100%. Also Sinama wasnt too clever last night.
FrankM

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion