Mascherano out? - Make way for a certain villa player

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Quadrophenia » Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:15 pm

Fo Dne wrote:Blah de blah de blah.

Mascherano is a central midfielder lad. End of story. Central midfielders need to be able to both attack, and defend. Ala Alonso and Gerrard, which is why when they've both played centre mid this season, we've looked a good side. Mascherano is a good option, he's not a better option than Alonso or Gerrard. End of story.

Agger and Skrytel wouldn't get into Man Utd or Chelsea's team. Neither would Carragher. End of.

Vidic overated? What because Bellamy had a good game and he had a poor one once? Shut up lad. Bellamy's a good player for a start and you'd expect a player of his quality to cause a player who's off form in a match problems. Thats the way football works.

I've read many times how highly you rated Makelele, to my memory his attacking consisted of nowhere beyond the half way line. Terry Mc was never that good at defending because it wasn't in his make up plus he had Cally/Case/R.Kennedy to do his donkey work. In the same breath Masch doesn't need to get forward to any great extent because he has Stevie and/or the forwards doing that. It wouldn't kill him to chip in with a few more or to help in attack a little bit more, but for me it's not his biggest fault and there's more important things that he needs to work on more i.e. his passing.

I'm not overrating but Jamie Carragher is probably the fourth best centre half I've seen in the Premiership behind Tony Adams, Steve Bruce and Gary Pallister (in that order). He loves defending and does it so well. He had a bad season (by his own high standards) last year but has refound his form this term and has been faultless in my eyes. He wouldn't get into many sides for the simple fact that he isn't a footballing centre half, but if you want a player to give his all and put his body on the line all the time, there's no better than our number 23 at the moment.

As for Dan Agger and Marty Skrtel, both them are great defenders in my opinion. Agger hasn't been the best of late, I've said as much recently, but still has the ability to sort that side of his game out. Skrtel, well he's like Carra, just loves defending and does it to a very high standard on a regular basis.

The bit about Vidic - well he's not overrated, he just is a good defending defender.
We are the Mods
We are the Mods
We are
We are
We are the Mods
Quadrophenia

Postby Fo Dne » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:27 pm

Toffeehater wrote:
Fo Dne wrote:
Toffeehater wrote:Mascherano is a defensive midfielder , his job is to protect the back four , not go forward like a headless chicken , we didn't see flamini do not much last season and when he did it was because fabregas was sitting back . Mascherano's passing is nothing compared to a defensive mid like pirlo but gattuso is not a great passer . Masch's job is track back and prevent attacks which i feel he has done so effectively , this season however his own standards have dropped a bit . As for Skrtel and Agger , ask any opposition fan , they will walk into any team , they are young and still have time to improve . Drogba one of the most difficult  strikers to play against could not score when skrtel was marking him twice last season . Agger , how often do you see a centre back going forward and can actually pick a pass and have a great shot in him . As for carragher yes he is overrated by many as a world class centre back , something which he is not but he wears his heart on his sleeve and has saved us so many time defensivly with crucial tackles , interceptions . He may not be a world class player but he has put in those sort of performances for us . The most overrated defender for me has to vidic , he's a ordinary player who is strong in the air nothing else and manu fans and the media W*nk over him , the same vidic who got raped by bellamy 2 seasons back

Blah de blah de blah.

Mascherano is a central midfielder lad. End of story. Central midfielders need to be able to both attack, and defend. Ala Alonso and Gerrard, which is why when they've both played centre mid this season, we've looked a good side. Mascherano is a good option, he's not a better option than Alonso or Gerrard. End of story.

Agger and Skrytel wouldn't get into Man Utd or Chelsea's team. Neither would Carragher. End of.

Vidic overated? What because Bellamy had a good game and he had a poor one once? Shut up lad. Bellamy's a good player for a start and you'd expect a player of his quality to cause a player who's off form in a match problems. Thats the way football works.

No point in arguing with you . I though i could actually have a decent talk about footie with you once but i see in your 2 month or so absence this forum has been a better place , I don't give a toss what you think because in your eyes you're god . Why haven't you left this forum i don't know . You've been banned a couple of times but as thick skinned as you are you keep coming back for more , some poeple can't take a hint when they are not wanted .

To be quite honest, I couldn't give a flying one as to your opinion on me, or football. For you to sit there and be childish by telling me what I think about myself sums you up perfectly.

Clueless!
Fo Dne
LFC Super Member

Postby Fo Dne » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:34 pm

Quadrophenia wrote:

I've read many times how highly you rated Makelele, to my memory his attacking consisted of nowhere beyond the half way line. Terry Mc was never that good at defending because it wasn't in his make up plus he had Cally/Case/R.Kennedy to do his donkey work. In the same breath Masch doesn't need to get forward to any great extent because he has Stevie and/or the forwards doing that. It wouldn't kill him to chip in with a few more or to help in attack a little bit more, but for me it's not his biggest fault and there's more important things that he needs to work on more i.e. his passing.

I'm not overrating but Jamie Carragher is probably the fourth best centre half I've seen in the Premiership behind Tony Adams, Steve Bruce and Gary Pallister (in that order). He loves defending and does it so well. He had a bad season (by his own high standards) last year but has refound his form this term and has been faultless in my eyes. He wouldn't get into many sides for the simple fact that he isn't a footballing centre half, but if you want a player to give his all and put his body on the line all the time, there's no better than our number 23 at the moment.

As for Dan Agger and Marty Skrtel, both them are great defenders in my opinion. Agger hasn't been the best of late, I've said as much recently, but still has the ability to sort that side of his game out. Skrtel, well he's like Carra, just loves defending and does it to a very high standard on a regular basis.

The bit about Vidic - well he's not overrated, he just is a good defending defender.

Makalele was a different kettle of fish altogther and a different type of player who dictated the pace of a game using his passing ability.

Also Makelele never once played in a flat four man midfield for Chelsea. I am sick of hearing the Stevie can attack while Mascherano can defend rubbish that keeps coming up. It makes a team one dimensional to have one type of player doing one type of job. You need all players to have different strengths and weaknesses. Gerrard has every attribute Mascherano has and a hole lot more, he doesn't however have all the attributes Alonso has. They also compliment each other in terms of positioning. Now, unlike some, I understand the game and have actually kicked a ball in my life.

Its impossible as a central midfielder to leave one to defend and one to attack. Both players have to be able to do both in moderation. Gerrard when playing the "attacking role" will still come deep, so what happens when he does that? Give the ball to Mascherano and tell him to attack? Please. Its not just about goals, its about having the alround gameto contribute in more than one area of the game. Cisse scored 19 goals playing mostly from the wing, he was released due to not being good enough as a player. Its about the team, not an individual.
Fo Dne
LFC Super Member

Postby Bam » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:44 am

Mascherano is a central midfielder lad. End of story. Central midfielders need to be able to both attack, and defend.

Thats not quite true in todays game, in recent years we've seen the arrival of the DM midfielder adopted by European coaches and its a specific role. Ala Makelalee who Ive seen you get very excited about in posts gone by.

Forum Discourse
Bam
LFC Super Member

Postby eonerf » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:53 pm

I'm still annoyed at Rafa flogging off Sissoko when I felt Momo was merely going through a rough patch, so selling Mascherano isn't a good idea considering the fact he's one of the best CDM's around. One player we could get rid of though is Lucas...
eonerf

Postby Kash_Mountain » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:59 pm

bavlondon wrote:I dont know how close Arsenal came to agreeding a deal with us for Alonso before but im sure in the summer there will a few clubs from all over sniffing around and to be honest its just a gut feeling more than anything that he will go. I know in the end before he stayed but that was only because the Barry deal fell through. Xabi didnt want to :censored: us over by leaving as well give a double blow to us. Come the summer though things could change. I want us to have more options going forward. I like both Masch and Xabi and would love to have both of them and Barry but the team isnt big enough for all 3 of them and we dont have enough money to have all 3 so if one of them had to go then I wouldnt mind.

I don't think we need Barry. Anyway I'd rather have someone like Xabi who IMO is close to if not already world class then just Premier class.........

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

Postby tubby » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:41 pm

eonerf wrote:I'm still annoyed at Rafa flogging off Sissoko when I felt Momo was merely going through a rough patch, so selling Mascherano isn't a good idea considering the fact he's one of the best CDM's around. One player we could get rid of though is Lucas...

Seriously? The guy was a worse passer of the ball than Lucas and that is saying something!
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Petar » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:57 pm

Barry is :censored: footballer. Rafa should allow Masch to play with more freedom,cause in Argetina squad he is doing that,and here we can see only backwards passes,comparing to Essien... But again,Rafa`s fault
Petar

Postby Zidane » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:41 am

I agree with Petar although Masch isn't world class or anything at attacking he is capable of more than what he is told to do here.
Zidane

Postby eonerf » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:14 pm

bavlondon wrote:
eonerf wrote:I'm still annoyed at Rafa flogging off Sissoko when I felt Momo was merely going through a rough patch, so selling Mascherano isn't a good idea considering the fact he's one of the best CDM's around. One player we could get rid of though is Lucas...

Seriously? The guy was a worse passer of the ball than Lucas and that is saying something!

Yeah lol. I know that some of Sissoko's overall play was sloppy especially during the season he left. However,at his best Momo contributed a great deal to the team and was more suprior to Lucas when I've seen him at his best. I remember Sissoko playing in games against Chelsea and Barcalona, dominating the midfield and complimenting Gerrard and Alonso really well. For me, Lucas isn't a player who would have the same kind of impact on a match.
Last edited by eonerf on Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eonerf

Postby Petar » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:56 pm

Fo Dne wrote:
Quadrophenia wrote:

Makalele was a different kettle of fish altogther and a different type of player who dictated the pace of a game using his passing ability.

Also Makelele never once played in a flat four man midfield for Chelsea. I am sick of hearing the Stevie can attack while Mascherano can defend rubbish that keeps coming up. It makes a team one dimensional to have one type of player doing one type of job. You need all players to have different strengths and weaknesses. Gerrard has every attribute Mascherano has and a hole lot more, he doesn't however have all the attributes Alonso has. They also compliment each other in terms of positioning. Now, unlike some, I understand the game and have actually kicked a ball in my life.

Its impossible as a central midfielder to leave one to defend and one to attack. Both players have to be able to do both in moderation. Gerrard when playing the "attacking role" will still come deep, so what happens when he does that? Give the ball to Mascherano and tell him to attack? Please. Its not just about goals, its about having the alround gameto contribute in more than one area of the game. Cisse scored 19 goals playing mostly from the wing, he was released due to not being good enough as a player. Its about the team, not an individual.

haha,pssing ability? What is pass without vision? Can you be good passer with no vision and Makelele is not Fukcin Diego! Go play cricket
Petar

Postby Petar » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:59 pm

Zidane wrote:I agree with Petar although Masch isn't world class or anything at attacking he is capable of more than what he is told to do here.

yup,you can not play in Argentina squad if you are :censored: footballer... He is good,quick midfielder with no freedom. I hate so much instructions. KEEP IT SIMPLE RAFA
Petar

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion