Mascherano out? - Make way for a certain villa player

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Owzat » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:26 pm

I read the rumour below yesterday and wondered what people would think if we accepted such a bid, if it is real, and used the money to bring in a more all-round player

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez has told Lazio to forget about launching a £20m bid for 24-year-old Argentina midfielder Javier Mascherano. (Sunday Express)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1....423.stm

Maybe the move that was heavily covered in the summer would be blocked again, but in theory would people on here be open to this as an idea? I'm sure most would love to hang onto Mascherano and find the money some other way, but is he really needed in a lot of games - such as Fulham at home? We might even negotiate any bid up a bit, make a tidy profit.

LIVERPOOL 08/09

With Mascherano : P11 W6 D4 L1 (Won 54.45%)
Without Mascherano : P11 W8 D2 L1 (Won 72.73%)

Maybe the above stats aren't conclusive proof we don't need him, but if we can win nearly 73% of the games he doesn't play then is he that crucial? The only defeat in his absence was our reserves losing in the Carling Cup at WHL, the draws the home game against Stoke and away at Standard Liege.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:32 pm

No No No No No No No . would rather have a world class CM like masher than a prem class CM like barry .We have seen what happenes when we blow 20 mil on prem class - ie we pay double what the player is worth . Masher may not be playin gon all four cyclinders but he is twice/ three times the player barry is.
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:44 pm

No way in the world, for once really agree with GYBS, mascherano is one of the world class players we have, you dont sell your best players ever, and he has years on Barry as well.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby CardinalRed » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:45 pm

He's just been made Captain of Argentina......!! no way should he be allowed to leave

:cool:
CardinalRed
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:57 pm

the situation we have with mascherano, alonso and gerrard is interesting... and abit sad really. If all 3 are fit gerrard will play most definitely... that means and mascherano and alonso would have to split the play time if we are to play 4-4-2. It's a waste really because I wish that mascherano and alonso are playing all the time...

having said that sell mascherano and buy barry? no way... unless it means that we have another world class player lined up like maybe david villa or aguero... otherwise i won't sell a world class player like mascherano just to buy barry and another premier league player...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby roberto green » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:06 pm

Don't be silly and 20ml aswell for a young argentine captain that does what he does as the best in the world :no
roberto green

Postby Koptite » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:19 pm

no way...without Mascherano Gerrard would not be able to get forward as much as he can now. He plays for his shirt week in week out and is a class player,one of the best if not the best in his postion.
Koptite

Postby tubby » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:38 pm

What is it with your stats statto? Which year was it we won more games without Gerrard than with him? 2006 or after season? So we should sell Stevie too? No fecking way pal.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mart » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:22 pm

I'd say sell him if we get a really good offer, but i would not want to spend that money on Barry.
Mascherano is a great player but we really need players that can contribute something going forward too.
mart
LFC Super Member

Postby zarababe » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:51 pm

No way - Rafa's already sadi no - that's that !
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:12 pm

Can anybody get a stat showing how many points we would have dropped without Mash protecting the back four and breaking up attacks
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SupitsJonF » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:13 pm

Not many players have as much spirit and pride as masch when it comes to putting on the red shirt.  I never want to see him go.
SupitsJonF

Postby metalhead » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:14 pm

He is a class player and important part of the team.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby HacksawJimDuggin » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:31 pm

maguskwt wrote:the situation we have with mascherano, alonso and gerrard is interesting... and abit sad really. If all 3 are fit gerrard will play most definitely... that means and mascherano and alonso would have to split the play time if we are to play 4-4-2. It's a waste really because I wish that mascherano and alonso are playing all the time...

having said that sell mascherano and buy barry? no way... unless it means that we have another world class player lined up like maybe david villa or aguero... otherwise i won't sell a world class player like mascherano just to buy barry and another premier league player...

Our best team at the moment is when Mascha and Xabi play alongside each other in CM and release Gerrard to play freely off a main striker.

There is no way that we'll be selling Mascha. Not the prettiest of players (football and lookswise) but he is VERY effective in the role he plays protecting the defenders, breaking up the oppositions attacks and generally being a nuisance.
HacksawJimDuggin
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:31 pm

Ace Ventura wrote:No way in the world, for once really agree with GYBS, mascherano is one of the world class players we have, you dont sell your best players ever, and he has years on Barry as well.

In a nutshell.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion