Liverpool v monaco

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ciggy » Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:10 am

If we play like we did against Deportivo, I reckon we can win this 2-0, I want to see Biscan start, no Kewell upfront, maybe the lads had this game on there mind on saturday you never know, a lot is riding on us to win this game tomorrow night.
After a very poor performance I reckon we will win :cool: .

Liverpool revel in Monaco crisis 21/11/04
Liverpool may be crippled by injuries to their front-line strikers, but they can take heart that they will be facing a Monaco side on Tuesday in the Champions League in disarray themselves.

Beaten 3-1 at home by Sochaux on Friday evening, they were branded ``a disgrace'' by their own skipper Gael Givet.

Last season's Champions League finalists have now gone eight Ligue 1 matches without a victory.

Chairman Michel Pastor has personally confronted his underachieving players, while those worried stars have held their own internal clear-the-air showdown.

An exasperated Givet said: ``I find it hard to find the words to express my feelings, we were a disgrace. We will have to review the situation and ask ourselves a lot of questions.

``I do not understand what is happening to us at the moment, but we need to bounce back very soon. Certainly against Liverpool.''

For Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez - without his two main strikers Djibril Cisse and Milan Baros - signs of problems at Monaco must be some comfort as he attempts to engineer the win that will take the Anfield men into the next phase.

He may have to do it with rookie striker Neil Mellor in the side as he searches for reliable striking combinations until the transfer window allows him to bring in reinforcements.

For Mellor it is a great chance to make his mark. Particularly with the fact that this time last season he could not even get on the bench while on loan at West Ham for a mundane league game with Watford.

He was linked with a #500,000 move to Sheffield United this week before Baros suffered his injury playing for the Czech Republic, but his representative Mick McGuire insists Mellor is happy to stay at Liverpool and is focusing on impressing Benitez.

He said: ``We have had no notification of any bid from Sheffield United. I have discussed the situation with Neil and he is keen to pursue his career at Liverpool.

``These injury problems at the club are a big chance for him to establish himself with the new manager.

``Neil has two more years to run on his contract and the club showed they rate him highly as when he went on loan last season they gave him a one-year extension.

``A player like Neil is always going to be in demand as he scores regularly for the reserves, but he is focusing on getting in the first team and making it hard for the manager to leave him out.''

Benitez may decide Mellor is too raw for the Champions League and could opt to play Harry Kewell alone up front and pack his midfield with five experienced men.

But as he makes up his mind, the trials and tribulations for Monaco may bring at least a smile to his constantly worried face.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:24 am

i'm sure there are lots of similar stories in the french press talking about our problems and how monaco are taking comfort from it. and after they're played so bad in the league and had their ears bent by the manager and skipper they're gonna be fired up too.

i think we're both in a similar position: under the cosh, played sh*te at the weekend, need to win this game, will be fired up to win it.

the big differences are: they're at home and they have a proven striker in the team.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:11 am

There skipper is injured so we are both going into this game with injuries, but at least we havent had 8 losses on the trot :;): saviola is going to pose a big threat tho, our defence better get there act together A.S.A.P

Monaco have been rocked by an injury blow ahead of Tuesday's Champions League visit of Liverpool. 
It has been revealed that captain Julien Rodriguez will miss the game with an ankle injury.

Reds fans will recall that Rodriguez played in Monaco's 2-0 defeat at Anfield earlier this season.

He picked up the injury last week and despite sitting out the League clash with Sochaux on Friday he has failed to recover in time to face Liverpool.

Another change in the Monaco line-up from that first meeting between the two sides will be the inclusion of the highly-rated Javier Saviola.

The Argentina international forward missed the game at Anfield through suspension but has since netted three Champions League goals for last season's semi-finalists.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Red_Si » Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:40 am

andy_g wrote:the big differences are: they're at home and they have a proven striker in the team.

That's right. We have absolutely no chance of beating them. :(
Red_Si

Postby andy_g » Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:25 pm

i wouldn't say we have no chance. but we'll have to play very very well.

and put a bloody striker on the pitch!!!!

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:36 pm

Up ya go baby!
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:30 pm

duh......... :D

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/4033047.stm

Gerrard in line for Monaco start 

Monaco v Liverpool

Tue 23 Nov | 1945 GMT 
Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez has hinted that captain Steven Gerrard could start the Champions League game against Monaco on Tuesday.
Gerrard was a second-half substitute in Saturday's 2-0 defeat at Middlesbrough.

"Steven is a possibility because he has played two games of about 45 minutes each and he could play if needed. I am happy with his fitness," said Benitez.

"He's very important to us, not only as a player and a captain, but also in the mentality and team spirit he brings."
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:33 pm

Rafa's Da man  :D. I am not gonna predict the score becos liverpool will end up losing if i did, but i have to agree with rafa.

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3184572

Rafa targets Monaco win

Liverpool will be looking to progress to the knock-out phase of the UEFA Champions League with victory at Monaco on Tuesday.

Manager Rafael Benitez wants an immediate response after the Reds slumped to a 2-0 defeat at Middlesbrough on Saturday. Benitez told the club's official website: "We know if we win this game then we will qualify for the next stage of the Champions League. That is very important for us and we will try to win the game.

"When you lose a game like on Saturday you need to recover quickly and it's good that we have a game straight away.

"We want to win in Monte Carlo but we know that if we don't we have another game at home to Olympiacos, but the idea is to win this game."

Monaco will be playing on the back of a 3-1 home defeat to Socheaux over the weekend. However, despite a poor run of form, Benitez believes Monaco are still a useful side and is particularly wary of the threat posed by on-loan forward Javier Saviola.

Benitez added: "It will certainly not be an easy game and even though they are not playing their best football they have good players. Deschamps (Didier) is a good manager who has an organised team and a good balance any good team needs.

"Saviola is a very good player who didn't play at Anfield and we will have to be at our best to win this game."
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Pig Catcher » Mon Nov 22, 2004 6:02 pm

It will be a really tough game tommorow and we will have to work our socks off. Though Monaco are going through something of a rough patch they have some real quality that were not playing in the first match at Anfield.

It will be interesting to see if Rafa sticks with Kewell and Garcia or decides to bring in one or both of Mellor and Pongolle.
Pig Catcher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:40 pm

I think we will win Mellor will start and he will set up two goals for stevie and we will win 1-2
Last edited by lakes10 on Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redrider » Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:51 pm

The winning Team on Tuesday :

Kirkland
       Finnan   Carragher   Hypia    Traore
                      Hamman
            Gerrard   Alonso   Garcia
                  Igor           Kewell

:)   :)
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby Silver » Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:13 pm

We shuld win.
And I think it will be 2/1      .4 The Reda
You Never Walk Aone
Silver

Postby lakes10 » Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:10 pm

Kewell? ???? ???? ?????
never
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:11 pm

The rumour that I heard is that the only change to the team that played Middlesboro is that Gerrard will start, possibly for Finnan.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Redrider » Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:27 pm

lakes10 wrote:Kewell? ???? ???? ?????
never

Kewell was Man of the Match for David Prior in the Daily Post :

''Out of position, out of form and under considerable pressure. But at least the Australian is still fighting and was unlucky not to score''
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion