Lfc v monaco - The team

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby JBG » Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:16 pm

I want Gerrard to STAY but only if he's prepared to stick around through the tough times, not regretting not joining Chelsea in the summer.

Money will come from somewhere, either Moores will cough up himself or he'll admit defeat and sell out. I'm not too sure of selling Gerrard simply to generate transfer funds as we could be screwed for the next 5 years if the money is badly spent.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby bigmick » Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:16 pm

I know I've said it before but real, fully blown scousers feel it more than us part-time Joe's. That said a little less emotion sometimes makes sober reflection a little easier.
The game went pretty much as you would expect, few chances very tight etc. We were very unfortunate with the goal, ditto the injuries to Garcia and Josemi. We didn't create anything but is that really that surprising? We've got a bloke who couldn't get a game at West Ham on his own up front for us. Gerrard was way below his best but he's just come back from two months out injured.
Had it not been for him the game would never have taken place at all so I'm going to resist the temptation to slag him, FWIW I think we all should bear in mind what he has done for the club before we do. I've got no issue with selling him anyhow, as long as we get a fair price c'est la vie.
Beating Olympiacos at home by two clear goals won't be easy. If we concede one then chances are we are out but as JBG says, it's definately doable. Older posters will remember the famous European nights of old, St Etienne etc so we always believe and hope.
Please though, the most important point i would wish to make is this: though it's tempting not to, give the manager a chance. 9/10 of whats wrong isn't his fault and the injuries are the worst in my memory. Please don't anybody post up that injuries aren't an excuse because at the moment they are not just the excuse, they are the reason.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Igor Zidane » Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:19 pm

I'm not havin this we are not and should never be a selling club ,we need to keep hold of our best players if we are ever going to win things again it would be a disaster if we sold stevie g.
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:20 pm

I agree BigMick.

I was EXTREMELY angry after the Middlesboro defeat but an element of sangfroid has entered my thinking now. This season could be a complete disaster, given the injuries, but hopefully it'll prove to the lowest point and once we have reached rock bottom, we'll start improving.

One thing that I am concerned about is qualification for the Champions League next year. It simply has to be done. It looks bleak now, but it looked just as bleak this time last year yet somehow we got our act together and took fourth place.

It can be done again.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby bigmick » Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:22 pm

We sold Rushie and Keegan and Souness and Owen. All at somewhere near the hieght of their powers. I'm not saying sell Gerrard, just that if someone pays the valuation (and in his case it should be not less than 50 million pounds) then we should deal.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:25 pm

Igor Zidane wrote:I'm not havin this we are not and should never be a selling club ,we need to keep hold of our best players if we are ever going to win things again it would be a disaster if we sold stevie g.

Agree but only if he is commited 100% to the club. Any lingering thoughts of transfer will mean we wont see him at his best.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:26 pm

Things will get better simply because they just have to.

I said at the start of the season that we would have a few slip ups here and there between August and Christmas before improving steadily in the New Year.

Obviously things actually appear worse now due to injuries, but if Benitez can somehow steady the ship and grind out a few results between now and then, the return of injured players and the arrival of at least one new face in January should get us motoring againn.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby fivecups » Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:27 pm

bigmick wrote:We sold Rushie and Keegan and Souness and Owen. All at somewhere near the hieght of their powers. I'm not saying sell Gerrard, just that if someone pays the valuation (and in his case it should be not less than 50 million pounds) then we should deal.

50 million pounds is not going to happen. Cant think of anyone worth that.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Igor Zidane » Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:30 pm

WE SOLD THOSE PLAYERS BECAUSE THEY WANTED TO MOVE ON AND WE HAD ONES JUST AS GOOD TO TAKE OVER I.E. DALGLISH, ALDRIDGEAND SO ON,NOT BECAUSE WE NEEDEED THE CASH . I'M TELLIN YOU IT'S A SLIPPERY SLOPE.
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:31 pm

John Barnes' Granny wrote:Things will get better simply because they just have to.

I said at the start of the season that we would have a few slip ups here and there between August and Christmas before improving steadily in the New Year.

Obviously things actually appear worse now due to injuries, but if Benitez can somehow steady the ship and grind out a few results between now and then, the return of injured players and the arrival of at least one new face in January should get us motoring againn.

I hope so. I remember how exciting we looked when we beat Monaco at home, we played attractive football with skill and class.

The next few weeks are hugely important and not easy with Arsenal at home, the CL in the balance, and a couple of difficult away matches. Baros and Garcia will be missed.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:31 pm

fivecups wrote:
bigmick wrote:We sold Rushie and Keegan and Souness and Owen. All at somewhere near the hieght of their powers. I'm not saying sell Gerrard, just that if someone pays the valuation (and in his case it should be not less than 50 million pounds) then we should deal.

50 million pounds is not going to happen. Cant think of anyone worth that.

If Chelsea come back in for Gerrard, they might offer 35million again to do a quick and straightforward deal.

HOWEVER, if Chelsea decide that they aren't interested, I could see Man UTD and Madrid trying to get him off us on the cheap, messing about with 24.5million bids in which we get paid the money over about 6 seasons.  :angry:

No, we need to keep Gerrard, but if he's distracted or wants to go elsewhere, I see absolultely no point in keeping him, as now is the time for guys to commit to the club and dig deep.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby bigmick » Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:33 pm

Whos to say Fivecups. What you need in this day and age to get big money is to have Real Madrid, Chelsea and man U interested in a player at the same time. If you can have a player that all three are not just bidding for, but are convinced that having him could be the final piece then you have a real auction. This is what you have with Gerrard. If Man U bid 30 mill is mourinho going to sit on his hands? Are Madrid? I don't think so. I think his age, talent, style of play and importance should make Gerrard the most expensive player in the world. Chelsea already sniffed around at about 23. I think you could double that, that's what i'd be looking for anyhow.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:41 pm

bigmick wrote:Whos to say Fivecups. What you need in this day and age to get big money is to have Real Madrid, Chelsea and man U interested in a player at the same time. If you can have a player that all three are not just bidding for, but are convinced that having him could be the final piece then you have a real auction. This is what you have with Gerrard. If Man U bid 30 mill is mourinho going to sit on his hands? Are Madrid? I don't think so. I think his age, talent, style of play and importance should make Gerrard the most expensive player in the world. Chelsea already sniffed around at about 23. I think you could double that, that's what i'd be looking for anyhow.

If he does decide to go, we would certainly have to hope for a bidding war. Cant see it getting anywhere close to 50 million though as clubs know he almost went for 30 in the summer and he does have a tendency towards injury.

However we know Chelsea wanted him, Fergie loves him and Real are crying out for a quality central midfielder like Stevie.

I for one would love him to stay though, but only if he's absolutely commited. I never doubted him until he nearly left in the summer.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby L-type » Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:35 am

Whats this ******, this was the mans first game back from injury and everyone thinks getting rid of him is the key to all of our problems.  How about we scrap that idea, in fact let's put this whole dreadful season behind us and start fresh.  We simply need to beat arsenal to stay competitive, but we can't do it with all these naysayers.  Give the team a chance to start running on all cylinders.  enough said. Lets play some football
"I get bored quickly and like to change things — except my wife!”                   - Cisse
We all dream of a team of Sissoko's!! All 15 of them !!
L-type
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 1234ram » Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:56 am

stevie and carra played great it waz the rest that let us dwn
1234ram

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion