Vs monaco - So far

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby the great one » Wed Sep 15, 2004 9:50 pm

i wounder wat hustler got to say about cisse  he find somethink to diss him about
''I know Mourinho likes to tell people that he is the European champion manager but he's not now. That belongs to Benitez. '' Jamie Carragher
the great one
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Wed Sep 15, 2004 9:53 pm

he's probably still upset Man utd didn't win :laugh:
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Wed Sep 15, 2004 9:54 pm

I don't like the way we're still keeping teams at bay by backing off and relying on last-ditch defending. I thought that those days would have been behind us after Houllier left, but it's still very much the case and it'll kill us in the league unless something changes soon. We bossed that second half for 20 mins, and then all of a sudden we just let them come at us.

We were really asking for trouble after that, and a better side could've nicked a point from us.
ivor_the_injun

Postby the great one » Wed Sep 15, 2004 9:56 pm

i was dissapointed the crowd was only half full there showing the real madrid match again :laugh:
''I know Mourinho likes to tell people that he is the European champion manager but he's not now. That belongs to Benitez. '' Jamie Carragher
the great one
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:01 pm

Kewell is also getting better.  He may not be 100% yet, but is work rate is 100% better than it was against Bolton
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby the great one » Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:03 pm

warnock did well when he come on put a few good crosses in.
the great one
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:08 pm

Kewell did do well tonight
I liked Finna as well but imagine a more attacking right sider

Josemi and the rest of the defence looked solid

Gotta be happy
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby who the hell is diarra » Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:25 pm

Liverpool opened their Champions League campaign with a morale-boosting win.
Rafael Benitez's side went ahead through a clever goal - Steven Gerrard and Luis Garcia combining to set up Djibril Cisse, who rifled a shot home.  :D :D :D

Garcia went close twice before the interval, first drawing a reaction save from Flavio Roma and then hitting the woodwork with an angled header.

Substitute Milan Baros made the game safe for Liverpool with a wonderful individualistic goal late on.

Didiers Deschamps' outfit were a pale imitation of the side that reached last year's final.

Ludovic Guily and Jerome Rothen have left for new pastures, while Javier Saviola was banned and Ernesto Chevanton and Shabani Nonda were out injured.

Those absentees led to Monaco adopting a defensive strategy deploying three central defenders - Sebastien Squillaci, Gael Givet and Vassilis Zikos.

And it was a tactic that initially stymied Liverpool as they sought to establish a link to Cisse.

After the interval Deschamps withdrew left-back Patrice Evra and introduced another striker, Souleymane Camara, in a bid to rescue the game.

The switch gave Monaco a better balance, although Deschamps' team laboured to create openings.

The best Monaco effort was an Emmanuel Adebayor header, which Dudek saved at the foot of the post.

Early on, Liverpool's best chance was Garcia's ambitious effort - a shot that mirrored an earlier long-range strike for Monaco from Mohamed Kallon and which almost caught out Jerzy Dudek.

Gradually Cisse's runs began to trouble Monaco's defensive triumvirate, while Gerrard and Garcia began to strike up the rapport that had been such a feature of Saturday's win over West Brom.

A one-two between those two Liverpool midfielders created Cisse's goal, an exchange of passes ending with Gerrard slipping the ball to the former Auxerre striker, who crashed his shot past Roma.

Soon afterwards Kewell's deft header released Garcia, whose low shot was superbly blocked by Roma.

In first-half stoppage time Gerrard and Garcia again combined to great effect as the Spaniard angled a header against Roma's right-hand upright.

Just before the hour Kewell managed to set free Cisse once more but Roma did well to stand his ground and then divert the Liverpool striker's shot.

With 10 minutes to go Garcia should have made the game safe for Liverpool but the Spaniard crashed his shot wide with just the Monaco goalkeeper to beat.

It was left to Baros to apply the coup de grace as he single-handedly outfoxed the Monaco defence with a jinking run before slipping the ball past the Roma keeper.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Liverpool: Dudek, Josemi, Carragher, Hyypia, Riise, Finnan, Gerrard, Alonso, Kewell (Warnock 76), Luis Garcia (Biscan 87), Cisse (Baros 69).
Subs Not Used: Kirkland, Diao, Hamann, Traore.

Booked: Gerrard.

Goals: Cisse 22, Baros 84.

Monaco: Roma, Givet (El Fakiri 80), Squillaci, Rodriguez, Anjreas Zikos, Maicon, Perez (Juan 89), Farnerud, Evra (Camara 45), Kallon, Adebayor.
Subs Not Used: Audard, Modesto, Lacombe, Lescure.

Booked: Anjreas Zikos, Givet.

Att: 33,517.
Last edited by who the hell is diarra on Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Always Look on the bright side of life
der der ........der der der der der

Drummerphil You'll never walk alone
who the hell is diarra
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:32 pm

:D wooooooooooooooooooooooooo well what can I say other that we should have won 5 maybe 6- 0 if garcia and cisse would have found the back of the net.
Im on a high im a bit p#ssed so im coming out with a load of sh#t but anyway that team tonight was f#kin fantastic well done lads yous done us proud well made up with that performance, and garcia is out of this world and alonso is a descrete player dont yous think fantastic yet nothing big headed about him, dont jump on me back peeps but is stevie injured or he looked the same as the rest of the team tonight superb? They all played well big round of applaus well done lads.

p.s. why was houllier there he wernt even commentatin for canal+ when i seen him I thought to meself ohhhhhhhhhhhh no :D
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby the great one » Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:37 pm

cisses_gona_get_ya wrote:p.s. why was houllier there he wernt even commentatin for canal+ when i seen him I thought to meself ohhhhhhhhhhhh no :D

didn't u no he works for french tv
the great one
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:41 pm

the great one wrote:
cisses_gona_get_ya wrote:p.s. why was houllier there he wernt even commentatin for canal+ when i seen him I thought to meself ohhhhhhhhhhhh no :D

didn't u no he works for french tv

:Oo: yer I did and he was sitting in the stands not commentating on the game  it was not on canal+ :glare:
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Thu Sep 16, 2004 1:39 am

Great result, im going to be happy all day

And your probably find the reason GH was there is that he loves this club and is unabashed fan
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:17 am

I f I had a grin like houllier had tonight id stay well away from anfield, fan or no fan hes got no place there he  led us to good things and it went terribly wrong in the end so no need for him to even be there if he wasnt commentating, our club ended up the laughing stock to everyone under him, including us fans screaming at the player what are yous f#kin doin attack but to no avail same old same old :glare: we should have wiped the lower teams off the face of the earth did we? no did we sh#te. At home anfield the fortress was like a morgue all the booooooooooooooooooooooos. i could go on but im not going to hope he enjoyed the new liverpool weve had nothing but compliments from everyone :love: plus the fact ex manager listenin to rafa rafael, rafael benitez, our new chants for him houllier take a hike  :glare:
that man caused us a lot of grief dont be pittying him
Last edited by Ciggy on Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:31 am

Terribly wrong.............we still actually made the CL under him.
While he was past his use by date and needed to go in my opinion
I find this rather anti GH obession somewhat distubing from LFC fans
Respect the past but lets enjoy the future under Rafa and stick to the positives
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:42 am

cisses_gona_get_ya wrote:I f I had a grin like houllier had tonight id stay well away from anfield, fan or no fan hes got no place there he  led us to good things and it went terribly wrong in the end so no need for him to even be there if he wasnt commentating, our club ended up the laughing stock to everyone under him, including us fans screaming at the player what are yous f#kin doin attack but to no avail same old same old :glare: we should have wiped the lower teams off the face of the earth did we? no did we sh#te. At home anfield the fortress was like a morgue all the booooooooooooooooooooooos. i could go on but im not going to hope he enjoyed the new liverpool weve had nothing but compliments from everyone :love: plus the fact ex manager listenin to rafa rafael, rafael benitez, our new chants for him houllier take a hike  :glare:
that man caused us a lot of grief dont be pittying him

Damn that one sentance is like 10 lines long  :D
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion