Liverpool line up Dalglish return

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Reg » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:11 am

Liverpool want legend Kenny Dalglish back at Anfield in role as club ambassador
Liverpool are preparing to offer Kenny Dalglish another Anfield comeback, lining him up for a return to his role as a club ambassador.
By Chris Bascombe
11:00PM GMT 09 Jan 2013

Dalglish filled a similar position prior to being reappointed as manager in the aftermath of Roy Hodgson’s departure in January 2011.

The Scot left the manager’s office last summer after an 18-month spell and at that time wanted a clean break, despite some suggestions that a backroom role would have been found for him at the club.

Publicly there were amicable remarks from all parties when Dalglish left, but since being replaced as manager by Brendan Rodgers, he has returned to Anfield to watch the team just once this season, as a guest of the Hillsborough Family Support Group.

Liverpool are keen for Dalglish to become a familiar face on a match day again. Apart from the obvious affection of the Kop, Dalglish’s presence is considered valuable in other aspects, particularly in the commercial areas of the club.

Liverpool are seeking to attract an increasing number of sponsors, and it always helps to have the most famous player in the club’s history nearby to pose for a photograph with an excitable VIP.

Beyond that, the Liverpool hierarchy has always wanted Dalglish to remain an active part of the club in some capacity.

He first returned to Liverpool after an 18-year break in 2009, taking on the role as a global representative, similar to that of Sir Bobby Charlton for Manchester United.

The possibility of assuming a similar position was hinted at when Dalglish left last summer.

Dalglish said at the time: “I said when first approached about coming back as manager that I would always be of help if I can at any time and that offer remains the same.”

Liverpool’s principal owner, John W Henry, also gave the impression there would be a role back at the club when Dalglish was ready because he is “part of the family”.

“He is in many ways the heart and soul of the club. He personifies everything that is good about Liverpool Football Club,” Henry said last summer.

“He has always put the club and its supporters first. Kenny will always be a part of the family at Anfield.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... sador.html
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:14 am

Seems Kenny doesn't mind being slapped around and used as a disposable cuddly toy.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:41 am

Don't know what to make of this, to be honest...
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby Reg » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:34 am

Its a bit sad if you ask me, Kenny's just taking the money. It's also possible to view it as the club saying 'if you don't mention what happened, neither will we'.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:38 am

Reg » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:14 am wrote:Seems Kenny doesn't mind being slapped around and used as a disposable cuddly toy.

I think it is a good move, Kenny belongs here and is a welcome involvement.

Also if he does return then it also shows his departure wasn't too fraught.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Reg » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:11 am wrote:Liverpool want legend Kenny Dalglish back at Anfield in role as club ambassador
Liverpool are preparing to offer Kenny Dalglish another Anfield comeback, lining him up for a return to his role as a club ambassador.
By Chris Bascombe
11:00PM GMT 09 Jan 2013

Liverpool are keen for Dalglish to become a familiar face on a match day again. Apart from the obvious affection of the Kop, Dalglish’s presence is considered valuable in other aspects, particularly in the commercial areas of the club.

Liverpool are seeking to attract an increasing number of sponsors, and it always helps to have the most famous player in the club’s history nearby to pose for a photograph with an excitable VIP.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... sador.html

i find it hard that to believe they want him back for any other reasons other than comercial gain.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:22 pm

Reg » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:34 am wrote:Its a bit sad if you ask me, Kenny's just taking the money. It's also possible to view it as the club saying 'if you don't mention what happened, neither will we'.

did kenny not take a payoff when he left?
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby metalhead » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:55 pm

Reg » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:34 am wrote:Its a bit sad if you ask me, Kenny's just taking the money. It's also possible to view it as the club saying 'if you don't mention what happened, neither will we'.

it doesn't mean he wants to come back, FSG are prepared to bring him back, Kenny hasn't said yes or no yet.

I wouldn't be surprised if he said no
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:10 pm

red till i die!! » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:22 am wrote:
Reg » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:34 am wrote:Its a bit sad if you ask me, Kenny's just taking the money. It's also possible to view it as the club saying 'if you don't mention what happened, neither will we'.

As he didn't leave voluntarily, FSG terminated his contract. Part of the contract termination would of included compensation, the only way I can see that he didn't receive compensation is if he refused it - which is doubtful.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:25 pm

SouthCoastShankly » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:10 pm wrote:
red till i die!! » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:22 am wrote:

As he didn't leave voluntarily, FSG terminated his contract. Part of the contract termination would of included compensation, the only way I can see that he didn't receive compensation is if he refused it - which is doubtful.

i remember at the time rumours circulating that he turned any compensation down and thought that to be the case but did a quick search on it and found a piece from the echo that says he did recieve an undisclosed payoff.
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/Liverpool ... -31001322/
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:59 pm

Strange move from FSG.

If you were Brendan Rogers would you want the living legend that you replaced drifting around in the background ?

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby jacdaniel » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:49 pm

I'd love to have Kenny back in some kinda role.  He deserves to be a part of this club.  I could be wrong but I don't think Rodgers would be worried at all, I doubt FSG would ever take him on as manager again anyways, I doubt Kenny would even take it on for a third time even if offered and I don't think the fans would be demanding him as manager.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:22 pm

kenny should be back, he gave absolutely everything he had as a player and a manager for this club, wether that was scoring goals in title deciders, scoring goals in european cup finals, picking the club up off it`s knee`s after heysel and hillsborough, going to 96 funerals, telling kelvin mckenzie where to go 20 years before hillsborough became the `cause celebre` of footballs chattering classes and even more recently defending luis and the club to the hilt when the wolves in the press and even world leaders were wanting to rip the uruguayan to shreds.
if anyone has earned the right to wander around on a match day in a club tie shaking a few hands it`s that man.
mistakes were made when bill shankly retired, lets not repeat them again.
fair due`s to the yanks btw
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby supersub » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:36 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:22 pm wrote:kenny should be back, he gave absolutely everything he had as a player and a manager for this club, wether that was scoring goals in title deciders, scoring goals in european cup finals, picking the club up off it`s knee`s after heysel and hillsborough, going to 96 funerals, telling kelvin mckenzie where to go 20 years before hillsborough became the `cause celebre` of footballs chattering classes and even more recently defending luis and the club to the hilt when the wolves in the press and even world leaders were wanting to rip the uruguayan to shreds.
if anyone has earned the right to wander around on a match day in a club tie shaking a few hands it`s that man.
mistakes were made when bill shankly retired, lets not repeat them again.
fair due`s to the yanks btw

couldn't agree more :buttrock
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby Octsky » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:02 pm

kenny will always be lfc and lfc will always be kenny. matchmade in heaven.
Octsky
LFC Super Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion