Kirkland's gone for good now - Signs 3 year contract with wigan

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Redman in wales » Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:45 pm

From bbc...

Wigan secure services of Kirkland 

Kirkland joined Liverpool for £6million from Coventry
Wigan have signed goalkeeper Chris Kirkland on a permanent deal from Liverpool until 2009.
Kirkland, 25, initially joined the Latics on a six-month loan deal in the summer and has been ever-present for the Premiership outfit this season.

Wigan boss Paul Jewell said: "It was always our intention to make the deal permanent. It's great news that we've got it all sorted so quickly."

Kirkland joined Liverpool for £6m from Coventry in 2001.

But he fell down the pecking order because of injury and spent last season on loan at West Brom.

Kirkland, who made his international debut in England's win over Greece in August, said of his move: "I'm really pleased that my future is now sorted.

"It's been great since joining Wigan, we have a tremendous set of lads and the gaffer has been different class.

"This is an ambitious club that is going places and I'm delighted that I'll be part of that."

------------------------

if anyone finds out if we got any money for him, and how much... please let us know!
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:04 pm

eurosport are saying @£2.5 mill. all the best chris and thanks.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:06 pm

I heard we got £3.5 million for him (yeah right :D ) I would expect we got about £2.5 - £3million including appearances and other clauses. I always liked him and admired the way he came back from so many injuries, but he was too injury prone to continue to gamble on. I wish him well but I am relieved hes gone and for a reasonable sum too.

No doubt he will now go on to become a star elsewhere ala James and Freidle. :D
account deleted by request

Postby Redman in wales » Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:11 pm

red37 wrote:eurosport are saying @£2.5 mill. all the best chris and thanks.

if he can stay injury free thats a bargin for an england squad keeper and someone of his class.

I say all the best to him. He didnt have much of a chance to impress here as every opportunity he would have got, he found himself injured.
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:16 pm

it said on espn the deal could be worth up to 6 million, but i missed if they said pounds or dollars, but even 6 million dollars is about 4 million quid
112-1077774096

Postby taff » Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:55 pm

I hope its not on appearences
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jkop » Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:39 pm

Hope he does well, all the best Chris. :nod
Were not Brazil were Norn Iron.
          Faugh a Ballagh.
                YNWA
        Healy......Healy !!!!!
jkop
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:48 pm

Its a shame but he was just so unlucky.

I think he's a decent keeper but not as good as what most are saying, he is as good as Robinson but thats not saying that much.
England just dont seem to bring through world class keepers.
I wish him all the best and think if we got 3 million back that would be decent business.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thehobo » Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:50 pm

i really hope he stays injury free and gets a chance at international level

i believe by the time hes 28 he will be one of the best keepers in the world
Thehobo

Postby LazyManJackson » Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:17 pm

Honestly, I think he is England's future #1, all the best to him, and hope he stays injury free for a long time, c ya Chris:) ...
LazyManJackson

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:46 pm

Has the height and the agility. The things he lacked are the things you gain through playing regular football, I will always regret that he wasn’t able to get a full season or two to prove he was good enough for this level.

All his injuries were freak incidents, but then he had this reoccurring back problem, once that happened he was doomed, he has even had small problems with it this season for Wigan.

I sincerely hope he can stay fit and do well for Wigan, two seasons of first team football and people will start to talk about him again.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:22 am

Sky Sports reckon 3 million
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rafa D » Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:48 am

I actually didn't like Kirkland. I don't know whether it was because Dudek was a better shot stopper but I prefered "Our Pole in the Goal" to Chris. He had a bad run of injuries and to be honest I am just glad we got something for him. Another Houllier "mental" buys although it was one the most likely to come good. Nice to see him out though as each and every day the reserves is looking more and more like Rafa's team and not Houllier Rejects XI.

Good Luck Chris, but England No 1 he will never be.
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redhayesy » Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:58 am

i agree with raffa dodd, glad we got a fee for him he was to injury prone & still is to be a estabished keeper especially at international level average keeper who has joined an average team but good luck chris you will need it!
redhayesy
LFC Super Member

Postby azriahmad » Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:03 pm

Good luck, Kirkland.

He was not good enough for Liverpool in the apps I have watched him IMHO & I was unconvinced, he is only as good as Dudek at best which is really not enough. Dudek was awesome in his first season for us, but went downhill after that. Carson looked a better 'keeper than either Kirkland or Dudek. Even 2.5 million pounds would be a good transfer fee for Kirkland considering his injury history.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion