Kewell injured....again

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ciggy » Sun May 22, 2005 6:33 am

LIVERPOOL star Harry Kewell returns to the scene of his worst football nightmare this week, still haunted by the sickening events which cost two Leeds fans their lives.

Aussie Kewell goes back to Istanbul for Wednesday's Champions League final against AC Milan still thinking of the tragedy that unfolded five years ago.

Kewell was in the Leeds team for the 4-2 UEFA Cup semi-final aggregate defeat by Galatasaray when two fans were fatally stabbed in the build-up to the game.

The striker recalled: "What happened back then was the lowest point of my career.

"Two supporters died because they were in the wrong place at the wrong time. It was a terrible tragedy and something I'd hate to go through again.

"I will try and put the past behind me when I return to Turkey but I will think of the two fans who died in 2000.

"I will never forget that night. I always think of it when I see English teams playing abroad.

"I don't think our fans should be fearful because I hope this is a different time and a different game — but I would ask them to be careful.

"I remember walking out onto the pitch and there were riot police shielding us from missiles being thrown from the stands. That kind of thing is all part of playing football in Turkey but thankfully it will be an English team facing an Italian team on Wednesday.

"It wasn't that we were scared of playing Galatasaray but I was one of those players who felt the tie should not have gone ahead as a mark of respect.

"The best thing we could have done was go out there and win for them but it was very hard to put what had happened to the back of our minds.

Nagging

"It made it impossible for us and we went down 2-0.

"Our manager David O'Leary urged us to concentrate on the game but it was really tough.

"I think we were capable of beating Galatasaray and winning the UEFA Cup that year but once the tragedy happened we never had a chance."

Kewell, 26, hopes to return from Turkey with a Champions League winners' medal to bring a successful end to a season full of frustration and nagging injury.

He will have to settle for a place on the bench but is determined to make his mark on the biggest game of his career.

Kewell said: "It has been a disappointing season because of my injuries. Yet if you had told me at the start of the year I would get the chance to play in two big cup finals for Liverpool, I would have taken it.

"This game is the biggest there is in club football. I haven't won anything before so a Champions League medal would be a fantastic start.

"I have been working 24/7 trying to bet fitter and stronger.

"I don't think I will be 100 per cent until I've had a good pre-season but at Liverpool you are expected to give everything.

"People who suggest I haven't been injured don't know what they're talking about.

"When I am fit, I am confident I can be a valuable player for the team. I have worked really hard.

"But mentally, it has been a very testing time for me. Not just because it's been frustrating being injured but because I've heard people accusing me of not wanting to play. That's not true.

"There is not one footballer who doesn't want to play every game.But there comes a point when you have to admit enough is enough and you are not capable of giving 100 per cent.

Tough

"There is something special being built here and I want to be part of the finished article.

"It may take the manager a couple of years to get the team playing consistently at a high level but it will happen — and I want to be here when it does.

"It's going to be tough because Milan are a top team but if we go there with the same positive attitude we have shown in the Champions League already this season, then we can win.

"People said we wouldn't beat Juventus or Chelsea but we did — and we are just as capable of beating AC Milan."

Kewell will wear No7 on Wednesday and is aware of the special significance of that particular Liverpool shirt.

He intends to follow in the footsteps of Anfield legends Kevin Keegan and Kenny Dalglish, who wore it with such distinction in previous European triumphs.

Kewell said: "People still talk about Keegan and Dalglish and I feel honoured to follow in their footsteps. I feel I have broad enough shoulders to cope with the expectation which comes with playing with No7 on my back — and I hope I can prove it."

Kewell is adamant Liverpool should be allowed to defend the title if they beat Milan. He said: "How can champions not be allowed to defend their title?

Blame

"But that won't have any influence on what happens because we want to be remembered as champions of Europe.

"It is strange that the champions may not be in the Champions League next season, but we have only ourselves to blame.

"We have to look at ourselves and make sure the argument doesn't arise again next season."
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Sun May 22, 2005 8:23 am

He seemed to have been on a very long vacation since he joined us - never displayed his true abilities, only very fleeting moments. Perhaps Liverpool is his sunset era where he is getting paid a lot, is living on his reputation and does not need to play regularly.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby oakton » Sun May 22, 2005 8:51 am

after all these months of not playing and resting, why didn't he have the operations then? he would have been fit by now if he had done the surgery!!

he's not going to have a full pre-season training after the surgery, he won't be fit at the start of next season and he's gonna be :censored: again! The cycle continues!
oakton

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion