Kewell has final chance? - Should kewell play in cl final?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Kewell has final chance? - Should kewell play in cl final?

Yes
72%
No
28%

Total votes : 101

Postby curly_whirly » Tue May 08, 2007 11:37 am

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N155862070507-1307.htm

BOSS: HARRY HAS FINAL CHANCE
Jimmy Rice 07 May 2007

Rafa Benitez believes Harry Kewell may be able to take part in the Champions League final in Athens later this month.
The winger, who has been out since last summer's World Cup, made his comeback as a substitute against Fulham on Saturday.

With just one fixture to play before the final on May 23, time is short for the Australian to get fully match fit.

But Benitez insists there is a chance: "It was positive to see Harry again. Maybe he will have a chance for the final. We will have time for testing him.

"We need to test him because right now you could say physically that he is fit but really you need to play, you need to tackle, and to sprint."

Meanwhile, Steve Finnan believes the return of Kewell has given the Reds a timely boost ahead of their date with AC Milan.

"I don't know whether Harry expected to play again this season but it is good that he came on and managed to get some minutes," he said. "It's great because he's been out a long time, so it is like having a new player. He might play his part in the final.

"It has been a difficult season for him with operations, so I just think he has been trying to recover.

"Probably the main objective for him is to get ready for pre-season and if he can play a few games then all well and good.

"He gives us a balance on the left-hand side and gives us competition. He can also play on the right and up front."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Right, when i first read this i was outraged! I could not believe that RB is even considering HK for the final, esp after the last CL final where he embarrassed RB and Liverpool, (however, looking back, was a blessing in disguise as Smicer did a great job when he came on) and the fact that he hasn't played all season. He's not even played a CL match, so why should RB even consider him for the final?

He made his comeback on Saturday, and this time, i feel is his last chance to prove to us that he's got what it makes rather than wasting the clubs money. (Granted his been injured, but why should we play 60K per wk to some1 who is injured? But still - a Total waste! so far)

However, wouldn't it make more sense to build him up gentley and ease him into matches and up the training ready for next season, than try and push him and get him ready for the Final. It makes more sense and also the lads who have all played more than 1 game still have their dream to play than being robbed by an injurey prone player.

But, sleeping on it, the thought that he's a squad member, that he has probably helped the lads in the dressing room and on the training ground by encouraging them, etc, maybe he should be given a chance?

My personal feeling is, if you have not gathered yet, is that he should not play and should get ready for next season. It would be more benifical to him, and the club as he will have plenty of time to recover and get his fitness up and not put himself under any stress for trying to get ready for the final.

What do you all think?
curly_whirly

Postby Sabre » Tue May 08, 2007 11:43 am

I think that you have opened a new thread very well, quotes, personal explanation, and a question. :)

I've voted no, because it seems to me too early given the experience of past injury recoveries.

But at the same time I'm happy with Rafa's words. If you want to motivate a player to work hard, what better than talking about the possibilities of playing a final? I cannot think of a better motivation than that, for him, and for the team mates that compete with him for a place in the LM/LW.

THe most relevant and good news for me is that Harry is back to the team.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tommycockles » Tue May 08, 2007 12:05 pm

It all depends upon how he's doing in training and how he does against Charlton next week. I'd be surprised if he started the game as there'll be a lot of tackles flying around early on, but i wouldn't be surprised (or upset) if he was on the bench. he can certainly run at people when they're tired-unlike our other left-wingers!!!

Let's see how he is on Sunday -and what our other options are!!
tommycockles
LFC Super Member

Postby 66-1112520797 » Tue May 08, 2007 12:10 pm

I cant imagine Rafa starting with Kewell like he did last time, he's obviously lacking match fitness. But I wouldnt be surprised to see him play some part in the final. I think its a clear indication what we're lacking out wide for Rafa to say this. I think if we had a suitable and on form replacment for Kewell he possibly wouldnt be thrown it. But as we have Zenden and Gonzalez really, it just shows how weak we are. Mindyou Riise would fair a bit better but I'd imagine he'd start at LB.
All in all, if Rafa thinks Kewell deserves the chance then so do I.
Last edited by 66-1112520797 on Tue May 08, 2007 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
66-1112520797

Postby curly_whirly » Tue May 08, 2007 12:16 pm

Bamaga man wrote:Mind you Riise would fair a bit better but I'd imagine he'd start at LB.

Riise would be my 1st choice at LW with Arbeloa playing left back and Finnan at Right. Arbeloa has shown what a quality player he is, either at left or right, even though right is his prefered position. He debut again Barca just says it all really...
- Curls -

*Hail Rafa - Long May He Continue!!*

Question - how can you start a topic? do you have to have posted a certain number of posts before you can submit a brand new topic? Also how do u add pictures to signatures?
curly_whirly

Postby account deleted by request » Tue May 08, 2007 12:16 pm

Right, when i first read this i was outraged! I could not believe that RB is even considering HK for the final, esp after the last CL final where he embarrassed RB

I dont honestly see how coming off with a bad injury was Kewells fault, maybe Rafa shouldn't have risked playing him but after all that was Rafa's decision not Kewells.

If he is fit enough to play he should get his chance the same as any other squad member to fight for his place. If chosen to play some part in the game then obviously Rafa must think he is worth the risk.
account deleted by request

Postby steviegs lovechild » Tue May 08, 2007 12:17 pm

Its amazing hes always fit come major final times and always lets us down - dont risk him Rafa
steviegs lovechild

Postby Bad Bob » Tue May 08, 2007 12:23 pm

What a sad indictment of our left side situation (LM and LB) that we may be looking to throw a player who hasn't played a full match since the World Cup into something as important as a Champions League final.  Nonetheless, it also speaks volumes about Harry's quality when he's on form and about Rafa's faith in him.

I wouldn't consider starting him in Athens, TBH.  I think he'd be better used as an impact sub if we're chasing the game.  I suspect Rafa has another shuffle up his sleeve for the left: he may go back to Riise at LM and Arbeloa at LB, as he played against Barca.  I think the Zenden-Riise combination played both legs against Chelsea because they were bound to be tense, dour, low-scoring matches.  Against Milan, we may see different personnel on the left.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby 66-1112520797 » Tue May 08, 2007 12:24 pm

curly_whirly wrote:
Bamaga man wrote:Mind you Riise would fair a bit better but I'd imagine he'd start at LB.

Riise would be my 1st choice at LW with Arbeloa playing left back and Finnan at Right. Arbeloa has shown what a quality player he is, either at left or right, even though right is his prefered position. He debut again Barca just says it all really...

Riise would be my first choice mate, problem is, and I do like the look of Arbeloa. But in a a couple of recent games he has looked vulnrable defensively, yes more so than Riise IMO.

Arbeloa has impressed me and really shouldnt be judged so early I think he'll become very useful. But I dont think he's ready for the might of Milan in the CL final yet. He looked dodgy at Chelsea and Portsmouth, before that he looked great but I wouldnt risk it.

I'd play, what I know, meaning Riise will offer us something steady at the back. For all the critisim he gets IMO he's still a good player.

Therefore I think Rafa will give the role to Zenden for being solid enough against Chelsea in the second leg.
66-1112520797

Postby CardinalRed » Tue May 08, 2007 12:32 pm

Rafa got us to the Final.....
We all agree he is THE man.....
If he wants Harry in, then Harry's in, end of.....

:cool:
CardinalRed
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Igor Zidane » Tue May 08, 2007 12:43 pm

It is a sad indictment of our left sided situation at the moment , but a fit Harry Kewell would bring balance to the left side and more importantly he would bring a real attacking threat and quality which sadly we have been lacking all season . Defo play him if he's fit.
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Tue May 08, 2007 12:55 pm

I'd play him if he's anywhere near fit. His contracts up and call me a cynic but I think he'll run his b0ll0cks off and have the game of his life.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby El Nino_#9 » Tue May 08, 2007 1:00 pm

hmm, if he plays at least 60 minutes of the Charlton game then i'd be happy for him to start.
if not he should definately come on at some point during the final.
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stapo1000 » Tue May 08, 2007 1:05 pm

Kewell is quality. He was our best attacking player last season. If he's even close to fit he would be a better choice than Zenden or Gonzalez on the left. I'll also be putting a tenner on him as first goalscorer out of principle.
Steve Gerrard Gerrard,
He'll pass the ball 40 yards,
He's quick and he's f*cking hard,
Steve Gerrard Gerrard.
stapo1000
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue May 08, 2007 1:13 pm

Kewell will be on the bench. Benitez will want as many potential match winners in his squad and when fit Kewell is a match winner. He also gives Benitez the option of using him down the left or in the hole if needed.

I expect Benitez to go with a solid five in midfield but with the whole team given instruction to push Milan and knock them out of their stride. Along with Kewell I think Bellamy will be kept back as an option to change the game if needed.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion