Kewell final piece in jigsaw?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby oddle2003 » Thu Jul 10, 2003 8:10 pm

do u guys think that the signin of harry kewell will b the final piece in the jigsaw nd allow us 2 really fight 4 the premiership title now or do u think we need some more players? personally i think he will help us compete 4 the title this year and has added an extra dimension 2 r play but what do u think? r we still lackin a certain player or aspect of r game?
oddle2003

Postby simic_ie » Thu Jul 10, 2003 10:38 pm

Don't really believe we can start calling Harry Kewell the missing link of Liverpool, remember how we play, Hyypia to Heskey to try and flick on to Michael Owen. There has to be a change in the way the team play, more passing more movement etc. No matter how good a player is he is only as good as he is let play, lets not get carried away, one swallow doesn't make a summer!
“It was my first of the season, my last of the season, my best of the season and the one I will remember for ever.”

- Vladi Smicer after scoring in the CL Final

"I'm not a believer in fate..... until tonight, they're going to win it!"
-  Liam Brady after extra time of CL Final
simic_ie
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Thu Jul 10, 2003 10:51 pm

I agree simic_ie,we have to change our approach play.Long balls are the death of any decent football team.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby gaz31 » Fri Jul 11, 2003 12:23 am

REMEMBER THE OLD DAYS PASS' N 'MOVE, ONE TOUCH THATS WHAT WE NEED TO DO IF WE CAN .
GO FORTH AND MULTIPLY AND MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU... :)
When you get the ball, I want you to beat a couple of men and smash the ball into the net, just the same way you used to at Bury," said Shankly. Lindsay replied: "But Boss that wasn't me, it was Bobby Kerr." Shankly turned to Bob Paisley and said: "Christ Bob, we've signed the wrong player."
gaz31
LFC Elite Member

Postby Olive Oyl » Fri Jul 11, 2003 3:06 pm

We need to go forwards more!!  More balls in to owen and baros.  We are known for one of the best defences in the league but what about our strikers? Let them score more goals and show everyone we mean business!!
Olive Oyl

Postby Ace Ventura » Fri Jul 11, 2003 3:41 pm

Everyone who watched last season can see we need a total change in the way we play. Hopefully with the addition of Kewell we will be more positive and attack more,with Gerrard,Kewell and Diouf in midfield and Hamman protecting the back 4 we can afford to really go at teams...not many could cope,the weaker sides would get a good hiding !!

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC4EVA » Mon Jul 14, 2003 3:09 pm

Liverpool at the moment are a counter attacking team, We need to add a new dimension to the attack, and thats what Houllier has done with the signings he has made this summer, Harry Kewell's transfer is obviously to improve the teams attacking options I just hope that Houllier doesn't go crazy and start playing him up front, Steve Finnan's transfer could be one of the best that Houllier has made, I personally think that he has been bought to improve Liverpools attacking options as much as the defensive side of it, He is an excellent attacking right back and will support Diouf or whoever plays on the right higher up the park, Jamie Carragher is a Defender and thats it. Jamie will be Ideal for playing against the bigger teams away from home, when we need to protect and Hit on the break, But finnan will be played at anfield where teams come and put 10 men behind the ball, Owen,Baros. Kewell, Riise. Diouf, Finnan. all in attacking positions, hyypia and Henchoz Solid at the back, Hamman sitting deep and Stevie G pullin the strings in the centre. What u think?
'Football is not a matter of life and death, Its more important than that'
LFC4EVA

Postby Kenny Kok » Wed Jul 30, 2003 5:44 pm

Nope, I don't think so. There's still a missing pc. of jigsaw, it's the guy right in the middle of the field. History tells us that the great L'pool sides of the past had great midfielders and we definitely need someone in the mould of Pablo Aimar.
Kenny Kok

Postby Leonmc0708 » Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:29 pm

A real old thread I stumbled across by accident, but intresting to see that back then many thought Kewell to be the answer to our prayers.

His recent upsurge has been good to see, and I for one hope he can turn it around.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anfieldroad » Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:46 pm

it would be nice to see harry produce some of the form that was evident at his time at leeds. He has masses of talent, but maybe rafa can tease that out of him, we'll see
come on you reds
anfieldroad

Postby Leonmc0708 » Wed Nov 17, 2004 2:07 pm

anfieldroad wrote:it would be nice to see harry produce some of the form that was evident at his time at leeds. He has masses of talent, but maybe rafa can tease that out of him, we'll see

Here's hoping Judge lad.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redrider » Wed Nov 17, 2004 2:55 pm

There are signs that it is coming together for Harry. Wouldn't be suprised if he bag's a goal against Boro' this weekend. :)
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby Pig Catcher » Wed Nov 17, 2004 3:03 pm

It was foolish of Houllier to call him the final piece of the jigsaw, yes he was something we didn't have, but our team was more than 1 player away from winning anything serious.

But when you think about it, a few years ago Kewell was one of the best players in the Premership, subject to enquires from abroad. Even when we bought him Arsenal, Man Utd and Chelsea had bids in.

So imagine if we could get the best out of Kewell, he could really take us up a level, running at players scoring and assisting regularly. We would have a whole new dimension. I really hope that Kewell can get on top of his fitness and form, I know its a cliche but, it would be like having a new signing.

Come on Harry you can do it!
Pig Catcher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redrider » Wed Nov 17, 2004 3:47 pm

Pig Catcher wrote:It was foolish of Houllier to call him the final piece of the jigsaw, yes he was something we didn't have, but our team was more than 1 player away from winning anything serious.

The margins between success and failure are very slim. When Kewell arrived it was before the start of the season. Our main perceived weakness in the previous season was a wide player on the left. Kewell was seen with Duff as an ideal to fill that gap. I have to say I believed, we were there. We seemed to have good players in all other areas and we were looking forward to Diouf ripping the ar$e out of opposition defences from the right. MO banging them in. We had added to the quality of the defence with the addittion of Finnan. Then the wheels came off !! The midfield was not as talented as we thought, Cheyrou was a flop, we had never replaced McCallister and injuries robbed us of MO, Diouf went down the pan and the rest is as they say History. So near yet so far !!
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion