It's time to stand up and be counted - Fools beware

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby LFC2007 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:03 am

made in UK wrote:1) So we now take it as gospel from an agent whoring his player around top clubs that Rafa wanted a striker? Couldn't you do better and try and back you're statement up from the horses mouth? We're bitter rivals with the mancs and Fergie couldn't do owt about where his player ended up. In other words, by coming out and saying 'Rafa wants Tevez' his agent was putting the pressure on Man. U to stop this from happening i.e give more money for Tevez. By saying LFC wanted him his agent was hoping to get a better deal for Tevez. There was know evidence (apart from an agent! lol) to show Rafa wanted a striker. I don't remember Rafa saying he did. It was the case of a  typical agent playing 'the typical game', not much can be said apart from the fact Tevez ended up at Man.C, where the money was.

2) So it is the doctors fault! And Rafa's gamble didn't pay off correct!

Bringing Barry into the conversation highlights another bad error in regards to Alonso leaving. You're digging a deeper hole for yourself.

3) .

4) Okay the fact the squad was flying around Europe and Asia along with the worrying performances (not results) concludes that it was good preperation for our season ahead. Oh okay! Because we didn't look well equipped for it down at White Hart lane on the first day of the season.

5) You can safely say that. So if our injury record hasn't been as bad as Arsenal's AND we've spent more money than them and haven't won anything for three seasons AND our squad is paper thin with quality, what does that indicate?

6) ...

1) No, not gospel, but certainly suggestive. I don't think a player of his quality required 'whoring around' the top clubs either and that wasn't anything like the tone of the interview anyway (he was a clear favourite with the bookies to sign for City by then anyway).  He said that Liverpool would be interested in signing him, but that Tevez would find it difficult moving essentially because of the nature of the rivalry. In other words, we were in for him, but he sort of brushed it off it as a non-starter. A slim possibility if you like. The main evidence is in the simple fact that we lacked attacking cover. You're not seriously going to argue that if he had £20m at his disposal, he wouldn't have gone and signed a midfielder or attacker, are you? If you are, may as well kill the debate there because I think it flies in the face of common sense (besides, do you really expect him to announce his intentions in the market every time, particularly if money is no guarantee?  ??? ).

2) On the first point, I refer you to my previous answer. On the second point, no, missing out on Barry was misfortunate given City's entry into the big spending league. He was a ready-made replacement, not many of them were about.

Incidentally, I remember how you used to argue how most 'true fans' knew who the better player was out of Masch and Alonso - that the Spaniard was overrated and that the Argentine was world class  :laugh: Further still, that Rafa was right to seek a sale since his form was 'pretty average'.

4) You pleb. I refer you to my previous answer.

5) That Arsenal are better at keeping their trophyless spell going for longer and on a lesser budget.
LFC2007

Postby made in UK » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:16 am

1) No, not gospel, but certainly suggestive. I don't think a player of his quality required 'whoring around' the top clubs either and that wasn't anything like the tone of the interview anyway (he was a clear favourite with the bookies to sign for City by then anyway).  He said that Liverpool would be interested in signing him, but that Tevez would find it difficult moving essentially because of the nature of the rivalry. In other words, we were in for him, but he sort of brushed it off it as a non-starter. A slim possibility if you like. The main evidence is in the simple fact that we lacked attacking cover. You're not seriously going to argue that if he had £20m at his disposal, he wouldn't have gone and signed a midfielder or attacker, are you? If you are, may as well kill the debate there because I think it flies in the face of common sense (besides, do you really expect him to announce his intentions in the market every time, particularly if money is no guarantee? .

2) On the first point, I refer you to my previous answer. On the second point, no, missing out on Barry was misfortunate given City's entry into the big spending league. He was a ready-made replacement, not many of them were about.

Incidentally, I remember how you used to argue how most 'true fans' knew who the better player was out of Masch and Alonso - that the Spaniard was overrated and that the Argentine was world class Further still, that Rafa was right to seek a sale since his form was 'pretty average'.

4) You pleb. I refer you to my previous answer.

5) That Arsenal are better at keeping their trophyless spell going for longer and on a lesser budget.

You've managed to take this discussion onto a ridiculous tangent. Well done you.

Therefore my discussion regarding this issue and football ends here.
Last edited by made in UK on Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm a bellend and now I'm banned for life"
made in UK
LFC Super Member

Postby LFC2007 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:24 pm

:laugh:  See ya

Shame I missed your original reply :(
LFC2007

Postby Lando_Griffin » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:09 pm

bigmick wrote:
Lando_Griffin wrote:
bigmick wrote:Well aside from the fact that obviously Ronaldo, Saha and Sylvestre aren't there any more, I'm not sure what your point is. Out of their squad, obviously Ferdinand would still be in their first team now, as would Rooney. Fletcher back then was but a boy who rarely played, but he's close to being first team material for them now. Scholes and Giggs would have been first choice back then, but Giggs is the only one out of the two who plays regualrly today. O'Shea and Wes Brown kind of share first team duties these days but were both excellent products of their youth system. When you look at that squad they had though, it's easy to see why they didn't win the league for three seasons. It wasn't that strong.

If that's your point, then I agree with you.

Whenever I look at our squad back then, before rafa got his hands on it it looks very weak. That said, a first team of Dudek, Riise, Hyppia, Henchoz, Finnan, Kewell, Gerrard, Hamann, Murphy, Heskey and Owen would probably give the team of today more than a good run for its money.

Perhaps that's your point, that they've improved more obviously than we have. If it is, I agree.

And you wonder why I don't often humour you with a footballing post...  :talktothehand

Stay down fella. Just let it go.

Making a rod for your own back there, Mick. You beg for football posts then when I finally give you a chance you act like a nonce and ignore all of the relevant points and, in fact, invent some backward reasoning.
I won't waste my time on you again - it's pure abuse from now on.

And I thought you were here to talk football...  :laugh:

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dazzer » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:57 pm

Lando_Griffin wrote:
bigmick wrote:
Lando_Griffin wrote:
bigmick wrote:Well aside from the fact that obviously Ronaldo, Saha and Sylvestre aren't there any more, I'm not sure what your point is. Out of their squad, obviously Ferdinand would still be in their first team now, as would Rooney. Fletcher back then was but a boy who rarely played, but he's close to being first team material for them now. Scholes and Giggs would have been first choice back then, but Giggs is the only one out of the two who plays regualrly today. O'Shea and Wes Brown kind of share first team duties these days but were both excellent products of their youth system. When you look at that squad they had though, it's easy to see why they didn't win the league for three seasons. It wasn't that strong.

Whenever I look at our squad back then, before rafa got his hands on it it looks very weak. That said, a first team of Dudek, Riise, Hyppia, Henchoz, Finnan, Kewell, Gerrard, Hamann, Murphy, Heskey and Owen would probably give the team of today more than a good run for its money.

Perhaps that's your point, that they've improved more obviously than we have. If it is, I agree.

And you wonder why I don't often humour you with a footballing post...  :talktothehand

Making a rod for your own back there, Mick. You beg for football posts then when I finally give you a chance you act like a nonce and ignore all of the relevant points and, in fact, invent some backward reasoning.

what is it with you and homophobic insults ? last 7/10 posts I seen you have used one ???

In fact a nonce is defined as someone who abuses children do you realy think it is fair to call mick a child abuser I really don't think so. :no
Dazzer
LFC Super Member

Postby phil_cool » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:16 pm

Lando_Griffin wrote:
bigmick wrote:In fact, I think the thread should be renamed. It should be titled "It's time to stop chatting sh!t".

Better still - "Will Mick ever stop being a pr*ck?"

There's more of a ring to that.

It's very sad to see a Liverpool fan trying to a*se-kiss managers of other teams, but when you've finished:

Man Utd squad 2004 (players still at the club at the start of the 2008-09 season in bold.):

13 Roy Carroll
1 Tim Howard
35 Ricardo
30 Luke Steele

26 Phil Bardsley
6 Wes Brown
5 Rio Ferdinand
4 Gabriel Ivan Heinze
2 Gary Neville
3 Phil Neville
22 John O'Shea
28 Gerard Pique
27 Mickaël Silvestre
29 Jonathan Spector

33 Chris Eagles
24 Darren Fletcher
25 Quinton Fortune
31 David Jones
16 Roy Keane
15 Kleberson
17 Liam Miller
18 Paul Scholes
39 Paul Tierney
12 David Bellion
40 Sylvan Ebanks-Blake
11 Ryan Giggs
7 Cristiano Ronaldo
8 Wayne Rooney

42 Giuseppe Rossi
9 Louis Saha
14 Alan Smith
20 Ole Gunnar Solskjær
10 Ruud van Nistelrooy
13 Ji-Sung Park

Liverpool squad 2004:

1 Jerzy Dudek
22 Christopher Kirkland
29 Patrice Luzi

23 James Carragher
3 Stephen Finnan
2 Stéphane Henchoz
4 Sami Hyypia
18 John Arne Riise
21 Djimi Traoré
37 Zak Whitbread

25 Igor Biscan
28 Bruno Cheyrou
15 Salif Alassane Diao
Michael Foley-Sheridan
17 Steven Gerrard
16 Dietmar Hamann
7 Harry Kewell
20 Anthony Le Tallec
13 Daniel Murphy
26 Ritchie Partridge
34 Darren Potter
11 Vladimir Smicer
32 John Welsh

5 Milan Baros
9 El Hadji Diouf
8 Emile Heskey
10 Michael Owen
24 Florent Sinama-Pongolle .

I'll leave everyone to make their own minds up. No doubting some utter berk will twist it round and blame Rafa for it...

I am not sure what you are trying to prove, but that United team won nothing that year while Liverpool won the Champions League, so maybe we should have kept a few more of our players until better came along, rather than replacing them with some of the poorer players we seem to have acquired?

The revolving door transfer policy we have employed since 2004 has not worked, we needed to build a team and teamspirit within the side, not destroy it by constantly signing and disgarding players.
phil_cool

Postby tubby » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:24 pm

phil_cool wrote:
Lando_Griffin wrote:
bigmick wrote:In fact, I think the thread should be renamed. It should be titled "It's time to stop chatting sh!t".

It's very sad to see a Liverpool fan trying to a*se-kiss managers of other teams, but when you've finished:

Man Utd squad 2004 (players still at the club at the start of the 2008-09 season in bold.):

13 Roy Carroll
1 Tim Howard
35 Ricardo
30 Luke Steele

26 Phil Bardsley
6 Wes Brown
5 Rio Ferdinand
4 Gabriel Ivan Heinze
2 Gary Neville
3 Phil Neville
22 John O'Shea
28 Gerard Pique
27 Mickaël Silvestre
29 Jonathan Spector

33 Chris Eagles
24 Darren Fletcher
25 Quinton Fortune
31 David Jones
16 Roy Keane
15 Kleberson
17 Liam Miller
18 Paul Scholes
39 Paul Tierney
12 David Bellion
40 Sylvan Ebanks-Blake
11 Ryan Giggs
7 Cristiano Ronaldo
8 Wayne Rooney

42 Giuseppe Rossi
9 Louis Saha
14 Alan Smith
20 Ole Gunnar Solskjær
10 Ruud van Nistelrooy
13 Ji-Sung Park

Liverpool squad 2004:

1 Jerzy Dudek
22 Christopher Kirkland
29 Patrice Luzi

23 James Carragher
3 Stephen Finnan
2 Stéphane Henchoz
4 Sami Hyypia
18 John Arne Riise
21 Djimi Traoré
37 Zak Whitbread

25 Igor Biscan
28 Bruno Cheyrou
15 Salif Alassane Diao
Michael Foley-Sheridan
17 Steven Gerrard
16 Dietmar Hamann
7 Harry Kewell
20 Anthony Le Tallec
13 Daniel Murphy
26 Ritchie Partridge
34 Darren Potter
11 Vladimir Smicer
32 John Welsh

5 Milan Baros
9 El Hadji Diouf
8 Emile Heskey
10 Michael Owen

I'll leave everyone to make their own minds up. No doubting some utter berk will twist it round and blame Rafa for it...

I am not sure what you are trying to prove, but that United team won nothing that year while Liverpool won the Champions League, so maybe we should have kept a few more of our players until better came along, rather than replacing them with some of the poorer players we seem to have acquired?

The revolving door transfer policy we have employed since 2004 has not worked, we needed to build a team and teamspirit within the side, not destroy it by constantly signing and disgarding players.

Ah yes 2005 was a good year for Europe. But how many points off the pace of the leaders did we finish that season? Somewhere around 30 if I recall. And last season?

No the revolving door policy doesn't work but that's because we spend more time shopping in bargain basement than on quality proven players. btw I am not saying Rafa hasn't made bad buys, just putting things in perspective that's all.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dazzer » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:26 pm

bavlondon wrote:
phil_cool wrote:
Lando_Griffin wrote:

13 Roy Carroll
1 Tim Howard
35 Ricardo
30 Luke Steele

26 Phil Bardsley
6 Wes Brown
5 Rio Ferdinand
4 Gabriel Ivan Heinze
2 Gary Neville
3 Phil Neville
22 John O'Shea
28 Gerard Pique
27 Mickaël Silvestre
29 Jonathan Spector

33 Chris Eagles
24 Darren Fletcher
25 Quinton Fortune
31 David Jones
16 Roy Keane
15 Kleberson
17 Liam Miller
18 Paul Scholes
39 Paul Tierney
12 David Bellion
40 Sylvan Ebanks-Blake
11 Ryan Giggs
7 Cristiano Ronaldo
8 Wayne Rooney

42 Giuseppe Rossi
9 Louis Saha
14 Alan Smith
20 Ole Gunnar Solskjær
10 Ruud van Nistelrooy
13 Ji-Sung Park

Liverpool squad 2004:

1 Jerzy Dudek
22 Christopher Kirkland
29 Patrice Luzi

23 James Carragher
3 Stephen Finnan
2 Stéphane Henchoz
4 Sami Hyypia
18 John Arne Riise
21 Djimi Traoré
37 Zak Whitbread

25 Igor Biscan
28 Bruno Cheyrou
15 Salif Alassane Diao
Michael Foley-Sheridan
17 Steven Gerrard
16 Dietmar Hamann
7 Harry Kewell
20 Anthony Le Tallec
13 Daniel Murphy
26 Ritchie Partridge
34 Darren Potter
11 Vladimir Smicer
32 John Welsh

5 Milan Baros
9 El Hadji Diouf
8 Emile Heskey
10 Michael Owen

Ah yes 2005 was a good year for Europe. But how many points off the pace of the leaders did we finish that season? Somewhere around 30 if I recall. And last season?

No the revolving door policy doesn't work but that's because we spend more time shopping in bargain basement than on quality proven players. btw I am not saying Rafa hasn't made bad buys, just putting things in perspective that's all.

No one is saying he made all bad buys he just makes more bad buys then good.75% of players he brings in are trash which is just not good enough.
Dazzer
LFC Super Member

Postby Emerald Red » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:53 pm

Dazzer wrote:
bavlondon wrote:
phil_cool wrote:
Lando_Griffin wrote:

13 Roy Carroll
1 Tim Howard
35 Ricardo
30 Luke Steele

26 Phil Bardsley
6 Wes Brown
5 Rio Ferdinand
4 Gabriel Ivan Heinze
2 Gary Neville
3 Phil Neville
22 John O'Shea
28 Gerard Pique
27 Mickaël Silvestre
29 Jonathan Spector

33 Chris Eagles
24 Darren Fletcher
25 Quinton Fortune
31 David Jones
16 Roy Keane
15 Kleberson
17 Liam Miller
18 Paul Scholes
39 Paul Tierney
12 David Bellion
40 Sylvan Ebanks-Blake
11 Ryan Giggs
7 Cristiano Ronaldo
8 Wayne Rooney

42 Giuseppe Rossi
9 Louis Saha
14 Alan Smith
20 Ole Gunnar Solskjær
10 Ruud van Nistelrooy
13 Ji-Sung Park

Liverpool squad 2004:

1 Jerzy Dudek
22 Christopher Kirkland
29 Patrice Luzi

23 James Carragher
3 Stephen Finnan
2 Stéphane Henchoz
4 Sami Hyypia
18 John Arne Riise
21 Djimi Traoré
37 Zak Whitbread

25 Igor Biscan
28 Bruno Cheyrou
15 Salif Alassane Diao
Michael Foley-Sheridan
17 Steven Gerrard
16 Dietmar Hamann
7 Harry Kewell
20 Anthony Le Tallec
13 Daniel Murphy
26 Ritchie Partridge
34 Darren Potter
11 Vladimir Smicer
32 John Welsh

5 Milan Baros
9 El Hadji Diouf
8 Emile Heskey
10 Michael Owen

No one is saying he made all bad buys he just makes more bad buys then good.75% of players he brings in are trash which is just not good enough.

If that ridiculous percentage was anywhee near accurate, then we'd be Coca-Cola side by now.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby phil_cool » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:01 pm

bavlondon wrote:Ah yes 2005 was a good year for Europe. But how many points off the pace of the leaders did we finish that season? Somewhere around 30 if I recall. And last season?

Man utd team first game of this season

Foster                       - £1million
Fábio da Silva             - free
John O'Shea               - free
Jonny Evans               - free
Patrice Evra               - £5.5million
Luis Antonio Valencia   - £16million
Darren Fletcher          - free
Paul Scholes              - free
Nani                         - £14million
Dimitar Berbatov        -  £30million
Wayne Rooney          -  £20million
Wesley Brown           - free
Ryan Giggs               - free
Michael Owen           - free

Total cost £86million

Liverpool first game of this season

Jose Reina                - £6million
Glen Johnson            - £18million
James Carragher       - free
Martin Skrtel            - £6million
Emiliano Insua          - £1.5million
Dirk Kuyt                 - £10million
Javier Mascherano     - £18million
Leiva Lucas              - £6million
Ryan Babel               - £11.5million
Steven Gerrard         - free
Fernando Torres       - £26million
Daniel Ayala             - free
Andrei Voronin          - free
Yossi Benayoun        - £5million

Total cost £108million
phil_cool

Postby DAV » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:33 pm

I've been away on business, and only just got to read the updates on here.
Lando you are funny and your insults amuse me.
Keep up the good work,
I have never been called a DIV before

definition

div is a function in C programming language that takes two integers as parameters and returns the result of a division between them[B]

As i said, you are funny, i have never been called that before
Last edited by DAV on Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DAV
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Igor Zidane » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:50 pm

phil_cool wrote:
bavlondon wrote:Ah yes 2005 was a good year for Europe. But how many points off the pace of the leaders did we finish that season? Somewhere around 30 if I recall. And last season?

Total cost £86million

Total cost £108million

Torres deal wasn't £26 million . It was more £20.
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:50 pm

Lando_Griffin wrote:
bigmick wrote:
Lando_Griffin wrote:

It's just that I embarrassed you the day before fella and exposed you once again for talking utter nonsense, this time on two subjects at the same time (that Man Utd were a superteam when Rafa arrived, and that we hadn't finished above Arsenal).

It's all very well  and passes the time, but ultimately, what does it acheive? It doesn't make me feel good about myself to be honest, and even though there is some mild satisfaction of reacting to your abuse calmly and winning the argument hands down, it doesn't serve the forum particularly well either as nobody else is interested.

As for "talking football" it is something you rarely get involved in. Firstly because people are naturally reluctant to engage in discussion with you because a) it's largely pointless and b) they inevitably get torrents of Torrette's if they dare to disagree with you.

For my part I'm happy to discuss football with anyone, most definately including you. There has to be a point to it though, and if someone is proven to be wrong in one of their pronouncements, there is little to be gained by them then self combusting. Equally, if you are having a discussion about something, each person has to be able to accept that the other in entitled to a point of view.

So please don't think that I've given up discussing football with you because I haven't and I won't. I respect that you do come out with some sensible stuff sometimes, and nobody can deny that your devotion to all things Alonso proved in the end to be a good pick. He played out of his skin in his final season for us, and he is sorely missed now as he is a much better player than Lucas. I agree with you on Insua and think he is slightly overrated by some on here, and there are other points you make which are thought provoking too. I enjoy reading your posts, even when you abusing me I'd take abuse off of you any day compared to some of the more unusual characters on here.

I don't want a flame war, I keep saying it. I will respond when you call me a "bitter c..." as you did the other day, but I don't want a war, and I haven't given up talking about football with you. This ones done though, let it go and move on.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SupitsJonF » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:58 pm

Igor Zidane wrote:
phil_cool wrote:

Total cost £86million

Total cost £108million

Torres deal wasn't £26 million . It was more £20.

:censored: what a buy Evra was, wish we could spot young players like that.  It's interesting, besides Berbatov and Rooney, most of their big money signings are :censored:, Valencia and Nani for 30 mil :D, we aren't the only ones who pay over the top for below par players.

Bad thing about those squad sheets is Aquaman isn't in our lineup, which is another 20.
SupitsJonF

Postby Dazzer » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:02 pm

Emerald Red wrote:
Dazzer wrote:
bavlondon wrote:
phil_cool wrote:
Lando_Griffin wrote:

13 Roy Carroll
1 Tim Howard
35 Ricardo
30 Luke Steele

26 Phil Bardsley
6 Wes Brown
5 Rio Ferdinand
4 Gabriel Ivan Heinze
2 Gary Neville
3 Phil Neville
22 John O'Shea
28 Gerard Pique
27 Mickaël Silvestre
29 Jonathan Spector

33 Chris Eagles
24 Darren Fletcher
25 Quinton Fortune
31 David Jones
16 Roy Keane
15 Kleberson
17 Liam Miller
18 Paul Scholes
39 Paul Tierney
12 David Bellion
40 Sylvan Ebanks-Blake
11 Ryan Giggs
7 Cristiano Ronaldo
8 Wayne Rooney

42 Giuseppe Rossi
9 Louis Saha
14 Alan Smith
20 Ole Gunnar Solskjær
10 Ruud van Nistelrooy
13 Ji-Sung Park

Liverpool squad 2004:

1 Jerzy Dudek
22 Christopher Kirkland
29 Patrice Luzi

23 James Carragher
3 Stephen Finnan
2 Stéphane Henchoz
4 Sami Hyypia
18 John Arne Riise
21 Djimi Traoré
37 Zak Whitbread

25 Igor Biscan
28 Bruno Cheyrou
15 Salif Alassane Diao
Michael Foley-Sheridan
17 Steven Gerrard
16 Dietmar Hamann
7 Harry Kewell
20 Anthony Le Tallec
13 Daniel Murphy
26 Ritchie Partridge
34 Darren Potter
11 Vladimir Smicer
32 John Welsh

5 Milan Baros
9 El Hadji Diouf
8 Emile Heskey
10 Michael Owen

If that ridiculous percentage was anywhee near accurate, then we'd be Coca-Cola side by now.

OK name the players he has that are good enough then take away the players you think are not and I think you end up with between 55-80% depending on how fussy you are.

Also remember we are talking about good enough for a top 4 / Prem winning team here not to stay in prem team so be mindful of that.
Dazzer
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion