If  gerrard leaves - Benitez has the power

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby fivecups » Sun Jun 20, 2004 11:40 am

??

Souness? Daglish? Rush? Grobbelar?
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Starbridge42 » Sun Jun 20, 2004 11:59 am

Gerrard is the only indispensible player in the Liverpool side at the moment.  Although everything seems to be indicating he will leave I don't believe he'll just up and leave.  My personal opinion is he will give us one more season at least.  I can only pray I'm not wrong.

On Roman Abromovich more than one person whos football opinion I rate very highly has expressed discust at his attitude.  He knows nothing about football, and waltzes in and robs teams of their most prized asset.  To be honest I felt really, really bad for Charlton when they took Scott Parker as I rate him very highly as a player.  I hope he'll fork out 40-50million for a player who then comes along and is an absolute waste of space on a football field. Or who picks up a career ending injury just days after arriving at Stamford bridge (although that would be more than a little harsh on the player).

Anyone who is prepared to dish out £100million for one player, Henry or no Henry, is bad for football.
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby JohnBull » Sun Jun 20, 2004 2:20 pm

Different Rome fivecups!
Out of the ones mentioned only Kenny could be described as "SPECIAL".
Without him Rush would never have had the record he has, Souness was a lovely player but never World class, Grobbs was good not great.
The point being that they were blended into GREAT sides.
Last edited by JohnBull on Sun Jun 20, 2004 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnBull
JohnBull
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jack66 » Sun Jun 20, 2004 2:39 pm

JohnBull wrote:For God's sake - Yes Stevie is a very special player but our very best seasons have often come without ANY very special players in the side. Its a team game and we now have a manager who will get the best from what we've got.

100% of an avaerage player is a great deal better than 80% of a great player.

The boys gone - forget about him and look forward to spending the money!!!

Agree,Benetez has been quoted on liverpool fctv as saying "you can have the best players but not the best team.A good player can win one match but a good team can win four, five matches.If you have a good team you can win more matches and that is what you need to win titles".This was said during his interview on the fight to keep steven gerrard.So i think it is a little bit more than a rumour.
jack66

Postby JBG » Sun Jun 20, 2004 5:20 pm

JohnBull: exactly on what are you basing your allegation that Gerrard "is gone"?

All I have heard is the Daily Mail stories, and to be frank I don't really heed what they say.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby JohnBull » Sun Jun 20, 2004 5:33 pm

I'm basing it on what's been said ,not just by Gerrard's dad, but by other close family of the current England squad members. I'm listening to my accountant who has been a big shareholder in Anfield since the 40s, I'm talking to mates who are in and out of the Academy with their lads on a daily basis. I've just been having pint with an ex player who's a BIG supporter and still in contact with first team players. I talk about little else with my mates and we've got good contacts.
If ,by some miracle, Gerrard was to stay then it will NOT be because HE wants to but because the deal fell through for some other reason. Could you still trust him ?
How long does it take to sit next to the guy from the Mirror or the Mail or Express and have your photo taken saying "I'm staying"?
JohnBull
JohnBull
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Sun Jun 20, 2004 5:46 pm

I'm not being in denial JohnBull: if he goes, he goes and we'll just have to get on with it but I'm a supporter of this club a long time and I've heard my fair share of rumours over the years, and the amount of times I have heard "His mammy said this" or a former player said that only for the rumours to be wide off the mark is enough to make me a sceptic.

As I said, we'll probably have to wait until after Euro 2004 to know for sure but I do admit that Benetiz flying out to Portugal yesterday is significant.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sun Jun 20, 2004 10:57 pm

As with every transfer rumour, i'll believe it when i see it.

There is life after Gerrard.
115-1073096938

Postby edwardo » Sun Jun 20, 2004 11:21 pm

[quote] Posted: June 20 2004,11:59 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gerrard is the only indispensible player in the Liverpool side at the moment

yeh, but unproven in a bloody good side which we haven't been for a long time, England included at the mo, is he really gonna be such a loss, don't think so, the new gaffer will cover it, get the dosh quick, unless SG makes a miraculous u-turn the fans faith and love has evaporated already as far as I'm reading.
edwardo

Postby supersub » Sun Jun 20, 2004 11:44 pm

Wait till Gerrard returns before we make our minds up wether he is leaving or not.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby lakes10 » Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:31 am

JohnBull i hope to god you are wrong i think most of you are right it will be hard to build a team without him
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:40 am

If we get Scott Parker and 31 Million that will be some deal !!!!!!!!!

If SG wants to go then its pointless trying to hold on to him. I believe he may be about to make a huge mistake and reacting to what the agent is whispering in his ear and no doubt Lampard and others at Euro 2004.

There's little doubt that GH leaving has affected SG who looked on Houllier as a Father figure. Whether he feels its time to move  now rather than start under another new manager is conjecture. After all he will be going to Chelsea at the satrt of a new managership ???

I'm at a loss to know why he has decided (if he has indeed) but there is little doubt he put a verbal request into LFC for a transfer.............
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JohnBull » Mon Jun 21, 2004 1:00 am

Father figure my ars e - Gerrards' dad is a pretty good attempt at a dad and Houllier was never THAT important to him.
It was his own dad who spent all those days and nights freezing his bollo cks off at The Academy taking him back and forth when other dads were sitting in the pub or watching telly.
The boys gone for the money and any right thinking person cannot begrudge him.
The sad part is that he never had the b alls to say it at the beginning
JohnBull
JohnBull
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Mon Jun 21, 2004 1:03 am

So John Bull , seeing as you are the authority figure here, you will no doubt concur that SG lived with Gerard Houllier and his wife for a while last years for the good of his health then ? :p
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JohnBull » Mon Jun 21, 2004 1:10 am

And I suppose it had f uck all to do with the plastic gangsters chasing him for sh agging the blonde - Gerrard is not Sister Terese
JohnBull
JohnBull
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion