Does benitez really like gerrard

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby account deleted by request » Thu May 18, 2006 2:32 am

It may seem like a strange question, but I have noticed that Rafa seems to praise all the team when Gerrard has a storming game hardly mentioning StevieG. When Liverpool won Champions League Benitez hardly mentioned Stevies contribution but I thought at the time maybe hes trying to keep contract price down. Then Stevie says hes going "because he doesnt feel hes really wanted ?" That gets sorted and for a few games Benitez seemed to go out of his way to praise Stevie.Since then he seems to have praised everybody (even Cisse) but hardly mentioned Stevie. Even after Saturdays match when any other manager would have been shouting Stevies name from the rooftops, he seemed to try to avoid mentioning Stevies name.
           I know that Rafa has said that he doesnt like to pick out players but just to talk about the team but that didn't stop him praising Reina,Momo and Didi(who did deserve it ) and Cisse (who didn't) .Stevie and his wondergoal never got a mention. Has he got a problem with Stevie? I hope not cos we NEED both of them working together if we are to build on our recent successes.
account deleted by request

Postby A.B. » Thu May 18, 2006 2:35 am

Yes he hates Gerrard. This has to be the dumbest thread made in history of this forum.

Benitez is a smart man. He avoids overpraising any particular player because he doesn't like his team to be labeled as a one man show. Secondly he's praised Gerrard on many occasions, you seem to miss up on it.

He hates Gerrard so he encourages him to score more goals and play well. :laugh:
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Lando_Griffin » Thu May 18, 2006 2:42 am

s@int wrote:It may seem like a strange question, but I have noticed that Rafa seems to praise all the team when Gerrard has a storming game hardly mentioning StevieG. When Liverpool won Champions League Benitez hardly mentioned Stevies contribution but I thought at the time maybe hes trying to keep contract price down. Then Stevie says hes going "because he doesnt feel hes really wanted ?" That gets sorted and for a few games Benitez seemed to go out of his way to praise Stevie.Since then he seems to have praised everybody (even Cisse) but hardly mentioned Stevie. Even after Saturdays match when any other manager would have been shouting Stevies name from the rooftops, he seemed to try to avoid mentioning Stevies name.
           I know that Rafa has said that he doesnt like to pick out players but just to talk about the team but that didn't stop him praising Reina,Momo and Didi(who did deserve it ) and Cisse (who didn't) .Stevie and his wondergoal never got a mention. Has he got a problem with Stevie? I hope not cos we NEED both of them working together if we are to build on our recent successes.

Do you know anything about man-management?

Rafa knows that Stevie is the main-man at LFC (player-wise), and he hardly wants to appear like he's licking his ar*e does he?

Rafa's said that he thinks Stevie can be the best in the World. (Only a complete c*ck of a manager would say their player is THE best. (Moris on Lampard, anyone?))

I don't see how he could praise him any more than that!

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Thu May 18, 2006 2:47 am

We nearly lost Stevie last year cos he felt unwanted - if Benitez was so good at manmanagement it would never have got to that stage!

Postby A.B. » Thu May 18, 2006 2:50 am

s@int wrote:We nearly lost Stevie last year cos he felt unwanted - if Benitez was so good at manmanagement it would never have got to that stage!

He felt unwanted?  :D Lad pick your head out of Gerrard's :censored: and start seeing the light.

Gerrard even after saying that he couldn't leave after a night in Istanbul, was on the verge of leaving. Not because he was unwanted but because he didn't think that this club was capable of winning silveware as much as other clubs [i.e. Chelsea].

And the season before he wanted to move on because he was tired of carrying the team. So how the hell was he feeling unwanted?

And people wonder why this place is such a hell hole.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby account deleted by request » Thu May 18, 2006 2:52 am

If what you say is true why the fk did he stay? ???? ???

Postby A.B. » Thu May 18, 2006 2:53 am

s@int wrote:If what you say is true why the fk did he stay? ???? ???

Why don't you call him up and ask him?
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Liverpool 4 EVA » Thu May 18, 2006 3:03 am

A.B. wrote:Benitez is a smart man. He avoids overpraising any particular player because he doesn't like his team to be labeled as a one man show. Secondly he's praised Gerrard on many occasions, you seem to miss up on it.

A.B is absolutely spot on here.
Last edited by Liverpool 4 EVA on Thu May 18, 2006 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Drummerphil - our thoughts are with you
Liverpool 4 EVA
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Thu May 18, 2006 3:09 am

[quote]Why don't you call him up and ask him
You seemed to know why he wanted to go so I thought you would know why he wanted to stay!

Postby A.B. » Thu May 18, 2006 3:10 am

Gerrard didn't believe that we could match his ambition. What made him stay? I don't know, I can't tell you that because I wasn't there when Perry,Benitez and Gerrard met. But he's here is he not?

Perhaps he realized at the last second that he would never be the same player in another colored shirt. Perhaps he realized that Benitez could be the man afterall to bring this club back to where it belongs. Perhaps he's been given bad advice by his agent and perhaps one of the reasons he's stayed is because he's getting 100k a week.

I don't know for certain, but to say that Benitez doesn't like Gerrard is quite off the mark.

"RAFAEL Benitez declared his skipper Steven Gerrard as "one of the best players in the world"

"Steve plays with qualities that can change games," said Benitez, himself clearly not willing to change his post-match persona as the master of understatement.

"But we've played a lot of games without Steve when we've needed to do different things.

"I am clear that he is one of the best players in the world, but we have a good team."

"Gerrard, for me, can play in three or four different positions because he is a top class player.

Those are just a few out of many comments in where Benitez has praised Steven. Rafa is a type of manager that wants the team to get the praise more than just one individual player.

But he doesn't hate Gerrard.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby account deleted by request » Thu May 18, 2006 3:13 am

Liverpool 4 EVA when a player scores a goal like that in a cup final the manager usually mentions it in passing ,maybe I missed it?

Postby A.B. » Thu May 18, 2006 3:14 am

s@int wrote:Liverpool 4 EVA when a player scores a goal like that in a cup final the manager usually mentions it in passing ,maybe I missed it?

Ahem

"RAFAEL Benitez declared his skipper Steven Gerrard as "one of the best players in the world"

"Steve plays with qualities that can change games," said Benitez, himself clearly not willing to change his post-match persona as the master of understatement.

"But we've played a lot of games without Steve when we've needed to do different things.

"I am clear that he is one of the best players in the world, but we have a good team."

"Gerrard, for me, can play in three or four different positions because he is a top class player.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby account deleted by request » Thu May 18, 2006 3:16 am

A.B. I f you dont know why he stayed maybe you should just believe what Stevie and Rick Parry said . which was that Stevie felt UNWANTED and confused.

Postby account deleted by request » Thu May 18, 2006 3:19 am

Have you got a quote where Rafa mentions Stevies goal or his performance either in this years fa cup or last years champions league?

Postby account deleted by request » Thu May 18, 2006 3:34 am

A.B. ahem..... wheres the mention of the goal? and how do you do the boxes with quotes?

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion