Glen johnson out........a good thing? i think so

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Zidane » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:47 pm

Think our defense has been bad due to all of our back line playing like cr@p.  Insua is even worse than Johnson and Skrtel has been a disaster all season, he comes back to play against Reading and is ball watching the entire time as the other player walks right by him to have the ball bounce off his knees.  It was horrible defending.  Carra started off not so great as well but he's picked up lately and Agger has been great all season when fit imo.  I still can't understand for the life of me why Aurelio isn't at LB and Insua isn't at LM, Aurelio is a far better defender than Insua and Insua is a far better attacker than Aurelio it would seem like common sense but I guess not.
Zidane

Postby Emerald Red » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:36 pm

bunglemark2 wrote:
Emerald Red wrote:
LittleHobo wrote:Johnson bombs forward all the time leaving too much space at the back for carragher to cover....and our two centre backs are too slow to cover up 2 very attacking fulll backs

lets hope we either sign a more solid right back and either move johnson to right mid or get rid.....at a right back hes truely a pointless signing

With johnson out i garantee we will see more clean sheets in the coming weeks (just dont replace him with degen)

I'll be as blunt and to the point as possible here...

what a complete load of f*cking sh*te.

ER, I tried to be a bit more subtle on the first post/page...but I don't think yer man got the message.....some people are just not well in the head.....maybe too much ale over the Crimbo....

Sometimes, when a two page essay simply will not cut it, it's best to go drag a retort to the gutter and to the point, really.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:42 pm

Emerald Red wrote:
bunglemark2 wrote:
Emerald Red wrote:
LittleHobo wrote:Johnson bombs forward all the time leaving too much space at the back for carragher to cover....and our two centre backs are too slow to cover up 2 very attacking fulll backs

lets hope we either sign a more solid right back and either move johnson to right mid or get rid.....at a right back hes truely a pointless signing

With johnson out i garantee we will see more clean sheets in the coming weeks (just dont replace him with degen)

ER, I tried to be a bit more subtle on the first post/page...but I don't think yer man got the message.....some people are just not well in the head.....maybe too much ale over the Crimbo....

Sometimes, when a two page essay simply will not cut it, it's best to go drag a retort to the gutter and to the point, really.

i'd hate to see you ending a relationship then  :D

"sorry luv, you're getting fat and old. You're dumped and i'm off to :censored: your sister"
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:46 pm

7_Kewell wrote:
Emerald Red wrote:
bunglemark2 wrote:
Emerald Red wrote:

i'd hate to see you ending a relationship then  :D

"sorry luv, you're getting fat and old. You're dumped and i'm off to :censored: your sister"

I like the style. ;)
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fergieisawhiskeynosedtw@t » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:13 pm

Glen Johnson has shown as much control on the ball as an alcoholic on a tour of the Dublin Guiness Factory..

He has been shocking and a waste of 18 mill in my opinion...

p.s. I am perfectly well in the head before someone starts!!

:rasp
fergieisawhiskeynosedtw@t

Postby muzza798 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:51 pm

I'd rather of kept Arbeloa and spent the money on a quality Striker.
muzza798

Postby Toffeehater » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:56 pm

Funny how a couple of poor games change opinions , some of you lot on here are fecking fickle. Up till the arsenal game , he was one of our better players , that own goal and his confidence is knocked . It doesn't help that the whole team is playing :censored: as well , if we get back to form than we'll see the johnson that we all know.
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Waldo » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:22 pm

muzza798 wrote:I'd rather of kept Arbeloa and spent the money on a quality Striker.

Arbeloa was under-rated and we have missed him for sure.

I think Johnson will end up being a top top RB for LFC but he hasn't had the greatest of starts to his Anfield career. I thought at the time that 18m was a little excessive for a RB and I still stand by that. At the time I was delighted that we were able to attract players like GJ to LFC and I thought we would go on and spend big bucks on a couple of other top class signings. How wrong was I??

In hindsight I would rather have seen the 38m spent on GJ and AA on 3-4 players. Guys like Lorik Cana, Niko Krankjar, Darren Bent etc all moved in the summer and all of them would have strengthened our squad.
Waldo
LFC Super Member

Postby DRARREG8 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:53 pm

Its a good thing that you pointed that johnson is weak a bit defensively on the right but you can't blame him for his poor performance or his mistakes coz we know that carra skertel and insua had major mistakes that caused us to concede many goals this season ... the whole team is playing :censored: its more a mental problem i guess than tactical or lack to the talent
DRARREG8

Postby Masch79 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:20 pm

His dodgy spell as also coincided with im comin back from a nock as well. every1 knows e's an attackin full back - that's why we bought im to fit the system we play that requires full backs to provide attackin width. it also requires holdin mids to cover full backs  not just the cb's although I agree carra's lack of pace as bin exposed more this season.
Masch79

Postby Anfieldred » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:28 pm

Glen Johnson should be used as a right midfielder for the simple reason being hes a defender that can't defend
Anfieldred

Postby Scottbot » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:31 pm

LittleHobo wrote:but glen johnson doesnt play as a right back, hes rarely in line with the other back 3

for me id like to see more of kelly (who in his one appearance looked more solid defesively but also came forward when the time was right)........

rafa in his time here has been terrible at progressing the kids though so i dont think we will see more of him

It's not quite as simple as that, Rafa clearly wants his FBs playing further forward. We've been playing quite differently this season and this is (no doubt) a choice of the manager. When the ball is with our centre-halves BOTH full-backs hug their touchline, there's nothing unusual about that but you will notice they are both a good 15 yards (sometimes more) further forward than than the two CBs. Johnson can play as a disciplined FB and showed it in the home game against the mancs when (no doubt) he was under orders to curb his attacking instincts.

However, there's no doubt the play of both fullbacks has played a part in our defensive struggles this season. Both of them have allowed too may crosses to come in + i've got no doubt Aurelio and Arbeloa (if he was still at the club) would do a better job in this respect. Although our struggles at defending corners may also play a part here because sometime it seems as if we'd rather allow a cross to come in thatn to go through the player and force the corner.

Of course our problems run FAR deeper than the play of our RB this season. You could focus on a dsyfunctional midfield, poor wing play, a lack of forward cover, the inconsistency of our CBs, the general lack of form throughout the team, bizarre team selection, negative tactics or the complete lack of confidence and form. The list goes on  :(

As for filling in for Jonno while he's out? Play young Darby, he played a nice game yesterday and was the only positive to come out of the performance. He reminds me of a young Carra, a no-nonsense, hard-working solid player who could have a future.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Anfieldred » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:33 pm

I thought Martin Kelly was decent against Lyon aswell so maybe him
I think Carra is awful when we play him out there
Anfieldred

Postby Big Niall » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:27 am

I told you all he was a rubbish purchase at 18m and got lambasted for saying so

well - we are now 18m quid poorer with a :censored: defense.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:00 pm

Anfieldred wrote:I think Carra is awful when we play him out there

Let Degen play there. He's actually looked pretty decent going forward when he's played. We are coming in to a run of games where we should be going out to win well, so an attacking full back like Degen should be ok.

I don't like Carragher at fullback.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion