Gerrard, vieira or keane?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:18 pm

Was browsing another forum and saw an excellent question. Who would you take?

Roy Keane
Patrick Vieira
Steven Gerrard.

All three in their prime, all three captained their team. If you could only choose one of them in their prime which one would it be and why?
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby bigmick » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:24 pm

Gerrard as of now. Not even close for me. Neither of the other two were ever the best player in the World.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:26 pm

gerrard every day of the week - Veira in prime wouldnt touch gerrard in his prime - keane on the other is prob bloody close to gerrard but with gerrard you get that little extra playing for his team .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:28 pm

I think Vieira and Keane were more similar than compared to Gerrard.

All 3 are/were collosal players. If we're looking at our team now, Gerrard.

If we're looking at Roy Evan's side, I'd pick one of the other 2. Keane.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bam » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:28 pm

Good to see a footie thread :D

No bias here, but Gerrard all day long.

Forum Discourse
Bam
LFC Super Member

Postby GYBS » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:29 pm

And mick i would say at some stage keane was pretty damn close to being one of the best players in the world. and to think evans nearly had him .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:33 pm

As a footballer Gerrard by a country mile. As with Souness, Keane was a better Captain imo and more of a leader, but as footballer Gerrard leaves both Viera and Keane for dead. I would say that Viera was also better than Keane as a footballer but still not as good as Gerrard.

I would choose Gerrard without a seconds thought.
account deleted by request

Postby Owzat » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:39 pm

Imagine a midfield pairing of Gerrard and Keane or Gerrard and Vieira...........................

I'd take Gerrard for his greater scoring ability while not suffering from inferior defensive and passing abilitites. It does depend on who was making up the rest of the midfield and XI for me though, whether a Gerrard attacking player was needed or if someone else would fill the attacking role.

Gerrard scores about as many goals in one or two seasons as Vieira and Keane did in careers at their various clubs. He is released more from defensive duties, but doesn't stop him working hard
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Igor Zidane » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:46 pm

I'll go for Gerrard , but keane runs him pretty close . Viera a very close 3rd aswell .

Gerrard just seem to have everything over the other two apart from the leadership bit .
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:03 pm

Think as a midfield destroyer keane was better than gerrard but attacking wise gerrard is miles ahead of keane and the whole package gerrard is better with keane being a better leader . Dont think veira can come too close to them two to be honest - very high quality player but i never really rated him as high as others did .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:30 pm

Effes wrote:I think Vieira and Keane were more similar than compared to Gerrard.

That's a good shout. Keane or Viera in Evans side might have made all the difference. I remember thinking Paul Ince was the missing link, he was gonna be the difference maker. That was the most excited i've ever been about a signing and also the most dissapointed. Can ya believe that...
Last edited by Scottbot on Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:33 pm

From every book i have read Ince caused more problems than he solved - feigning injury a few times and not being up for the fight and being a big i am around the place .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby boodiddy1 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:42 pm

gerrard everyday of the week. Could keane or viera win a game single handedly? NO! Gerrard as a youngster was very similar to both keane and viera but over time his game has changed. he isn't that ruthless tackler, box-to-box midfielder. He could still do that if told to but rafa has changed gerrards game.

However, it depends on the team doesn't it? Evans team needed a Keane, Viera type player. Now we aren't really needing that type of player. More a giggs, scholes in prime player. But, i would ofloved to have seen a young gerrard and keane together. What a midfield.
boodiddy1

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:44 pm

Scottbot wrote:
Effes wrote:I think Vieira and Keane were more similar than compared to Gerrard.

That's a good shout. Keane or Viera in Evans side might have made all the difference. I remember thinking Paul Ince was the missing link, he was gonna be the difference maker. That was the most excited i've ever been about a signing and also the most dissapointed. Can ya believe that...

I can and DID  :down:
account deleted by request

Postby ConnO'var » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:17 pm

No contest..... Gerrard any day of the week.
ConnO'var

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion